Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sunday, July 31
    [​IMG]
    On loan, this was the final shave with the Micromatic Open Comb.
    These razors punch waaaaaay above their pay grade. Excellent choice for newbie wet-shavers,
    who are interested in branching out.

2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Aug 1st 2022

Razor : Micromatic open comb(MMOC), Mfg 1930-1941, upper mid range, well built, sold hundreds of thousands of these models and built to last. This razor model and the 1912 model also got the company through the dirty thirties and start of WW2 until brass was in big demand for the war effort.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Razorock American barber, milder similar scent than the RR American barber splash + excellent lather qualities.[​IMG]
    Brush : Yaqi Moka 26mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, big pillow like soft tips, nice scrub, great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock American bar splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my MMOC with a Gem coated blade.

[​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have my eyes on that Razorock American Barber, but for later in the year.

Hogie, Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  4. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, August 2nd 2022

Razor : Ever-Ready Streamline, 2nd generation, Mfg 1949-53, excellent mid > upper mid range depending on experience, well made to last, blade stops are set forward for more blade feel IMO, very attractive razor and with good technique you can crank out some awesome shaves. There is a slight different learning curve with this razor compared to a regular Gem but very enjoyable shaves once mastered with excellent results.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Ogallala Bayrum with Sandalwood, very nice scented soap(some clove) with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Artic Sky 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Witch hazel face cleanse +Ogallala Bayrum with sandalwood[​IMG] + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Ever-Ready 2nd Gen Streamline with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Hogie, Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMaticMonday, August 8th 2022. I have been experimenting with shimming the spline of the modern Gem blade for years with my Everready streamline razor and it mellows out that razor nicely. So this morning I used a spent regular flattened spine that I use in my ER Streamline and installed it in the MMOC button less model to mock the thicker splined blades of the 1930 era and results where it also tilts the blade enough to smooth it out a little. I would suggest trying it at least and used it with a new Gem PTFE blade also.
    I'm not the only person to try this and only works best in the Micromatic 3 different models (because of the way those razors clamp the blade) with a flattened spline from a spent blade. I have not tried it in the MMCP or MMFW yet and I not sure it would benefit the MMFW(AKA, Bullet tip or MMBT) because it is the milder razor of the 3 Micromatics.

Razor : Micromatic open comb button-less- Mfg 1930-32, excellent mid>upper mid range depending on experience, well built and designed for that time era, it was the first mass produced TTO razor world wide. The button-less model was before the newer Micromatic open comb models 1932-41 that held the double edge blades and used button shims to mock the spine blades. I used a flattened spent spline in MMOC to mellow it out and performed well. Hard to believe just tilting the blade a few degrees would make a difference but it sure felt like it and performed like a nice smooth mid range razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Very sharp with excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier- nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Has a slight lemon look and scent works for me.
    Brush : Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrub + great lather painter.
    Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer aftershave + a dollop of Neutrogena hydro boost moisturizing lotion(scentless)testing).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my MMOC buttonless with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

brit, GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Aaaand...here it is for Tuesday(9th):

prep-Stoylin Barbersjop Bath Soap(in lukewarm shower)
    shave-Jeeves Bay Rum
    brush-Stoylin No-Name
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S,-Stephan Bay Rum

Will I end up lighting my face and neck on fire? Stay tuned.

brit, GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, August 9th 2022

Razor : Ever-Ready 1912 with a modified Gem Micromatic handle, Mfg 1936- 53, nice mid range, well built and takes the modern Gem blade still. Joy to use and easy to shave the face with.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Speick- nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. Triple milled soap in a stick very nice.
    Brush : Yaqi Bali 24mm silvertip badger, new brush, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of Neutrogena Hydro boost moisturizing lotion(scentless)testing).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Ever-Ready1912 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  9. GAW9576

Glad to have you here and I hope the shave went well but this thread is dedicated to razors made by the American Safety Razor Company family of razors that take Gem stile blades. Let us know if you have any questions.

Ron R and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. GAW9576

I had an exceptional shave today with the Pat. 1901 Gem with custom acrylic handle.
    The Rubber set 400 with Zenith Boar knot didn't disappoint either. And Cella is a great soap every time. Clubman Pinaud aftershave lotion finished things off very well.

IMG_20220814_204751_(1200_x_1200_pixel).jpg

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, August 15th 2022, spline bumped up a little for testing!

Razor : Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf (Peerless model 17 nib SB)- Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, built near end of world war2 and is made of solid brass, built to last, very enjoyable shave this morning.
    Blade :Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Razorock Fresco XXX[​IMG]- nice mild mentholated soap with the nice fresh masculine scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Deep stones 24mm boss synthetic knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock Fresco XXX[​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my MMCP Peerless model with a Gem coated blade!
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, August 16 2022, spline bump testing.

Razor : Ever-Ready SE 1914- Mfg 1914-17, excellent mid range, built to last, very enjoyable shave + one of my favorite for the audio feed back of whiskers getting sliced.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) very sharp with excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, very nice unique scent with a touch of lemon + excellent lather qualities, Yaqi commissioned artisan Master soap creations S.A to create their soaps and aftershaves.
    Brush : Yaqi 24mm timber wolf, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrub + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Witch hazel face cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer Rapier splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Ever-Ready 1914 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Monday, August 22 2022

Razor : Star bar #4model lather catcher, Mfg 1919-20, mild >tame mid range, well built and very pleasing to the eye, shaves excellent and one of my favorites to use. Might be one of the last lather catchers models built by the Kampfe Brothers of Brooklyn NY(first Mfg of the safety razors in the world)?
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Razorock Irish Countryside, nice mild scent with some of the best lather qualities in a soap.
    Brush : Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre- shave: (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock Irish Countryside[​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]excellent shave with my Star bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, August 23rd 2022

Razor : Gem Heavy Flat top(AKA = G Bar) Mfg 1955-58, excellent mild>tame mid range, excellent design, eye candy to lots of folks and just a joy to use. Gem had some nice models of razors to compete with other big name brands. 1st Gem owned!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable. Safe & easy handling blade.
    Soap : Razorock Irish Countryside, mild unique scent with excellent lather qualities, Aftershave has a nicer lasting fragrance IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi Viper 24mm boar bristle[​IMG], excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hairs, very nice scrub + excellent painter. Nice change for different face feel while lathering.
    Post shave : With hazel cleanse & Razorock Irish Countryside + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem G bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sunday Schick Shave, Aug28th 2022, Shave #1 with a Twin blade in normal seated position in a Gem Micromatic Flying wing. I have used normal Schick injector blades in these great razors but why not try a Twin2 blade in to experiment with. This razor is the mildest of the 3 different variants of the Micromatics and there is 2 ways to use this blade in this Micromatic normal or reversed and I tried both with very good results. When blade is reversed it bumps up efficentcy and slight increase in aggression because blade & spacer increase gap. It did not feel like a injector razor because of weight and smooth handling ease!

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing(AKA, bullet tip, Guiding eye, MMBT)Mfg 1947-50, nice mild to tame mid range, this was the final model of these 3 different main variants. Heaviest of all the 3 models and a joy to use for mild shaves!
    Blade : Schick Twin2 injector, excellent blade for longevity + Sharp & Smoooth. I have gotten over 30 shaves with 1st blade. They seem pricy now then when I bought them and they have very long life for a blade at least these ones.
    Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice sweet clean scent with excellent lather protection + makes great ubber lather with remnants of previous soap.
    Brush : Yaqi black marble 24 silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrub + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Nivea refreshing aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMBT with a Schick Twin 2 injector blade. One of the most comfortable shaves + different and enjoyable IMO.
    [​IMG]

Schick twin
    [​IMG]

A better view of the Twin 2 blade normally sitting in my MMBT razor and the reversed blade in seated position and now becomes only a single edge.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, August 30th 2022- Reversed the Schick Twin2 blade for a single edge shave this morning and found it has a little more blade feel and had a very close comfortable shave. Nice blade feel in this configuration for those folks who like blade feel in a razor IMO.
    Handled wonderfully also and felt great in the hand. Very sharp blade when reversed also.
    In the normal position a Twin2 blade would sit in a razor is the most smoothest and comfortable shave in this Gem MMFW razor and is very nice shaving for daily shavers. It does not feel like a Schick injector but a much nicer feel for myself because the blade is still tilted downward because of the middle blade keeper + more heavier razor IMO. Care is needed to seat blade in blade stops, once clamped down it is not going anywhere because of the way a Micromatic clamps blades IMO.

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing(AKA= guiding eye, Bullet tip, MMFW + MMBT) excellent mild> tame mid range, well built and the heaviest of the 3 main model variants. A joy to use!
    Blade : Schick Twin 2 Stainless (2), Excellent blade, Sharp & smoooth with stellar longevity. Excellent for daily shaving! Bought mine years ago when had a good sale, Pricier now when checked last at big auction house.
    Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco with mild menthol- nice mild clean scented + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Bali 24mm Silvertip badger
    Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMFW with a Schick Twin 2 blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yes, it's Tuesday...
    [​IMG]
    AoS Unscented Tallow~~dubl duck #4~~Gem MMOC/Gem~~Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy AS
    Have a great day!

18. GAW9576

For today's shave I went with the 1909 Ever-ready shovel head. This is a fantastic razor. Lots of audio feedback and it's very smooth shaver.

IMG_20220904_224129_(1200_x_1200_pixel).jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hogie like this.
  19. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Micromatic Menthol Monday! MMOC with a fresh blade! Pleasant 2-passer with cleanup. I had to work a bit to get close on my neck/jawline and so, got a little bit of tingle from the alum bar but not bad at all. I have to work harder to get that area and thusly, give myself a bit of irritation. Nothing like what I used to get when I first started. Very pleasant shave!

Razor - MMOC open comb Micromatic with TEETH!
    Blade - fresh GEM Personna SS
    Pre-shave - Proraso Green menthol
    Soap - Chiseled Face "Cryogen"
    Brush - Simpson "Commodore"
    Post shave - Thayers toner "Rose Petal" & Geo F Trumper "Skin Food" (sandalwood)
    AS - Pinaud Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum"

Washed face and warmed bowl & brush. I may have added a bit too much water as I got the soap a bit soupy but, it worked fine. 2-pass shave with cleanup got me super close! I can feel the blade with this razor but it is pleasant. No cuts, nicks, or errors to report. My right jawline gives me trouble prolly due to the angle I hold the razor. It is kinda awkward so, I can't get as close in 2 passes there. Left is fine. Just my right jawline. I did get it close today! Alum bar gave me minor feedback on neck. I mark this one down as an excellent shave!

DSCN9732.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  20. GAW9576

Glad to hear the shaves are improving for you. Slightly soupy soap is better than to dry a soap.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ron R and Hogie like this.