GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

MMBT shave
    GEM Personna SS blade second use
    DSCN9766.JPG

2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Two great razors. The thin bakelite handles are very cool. And that is a beautiful ER lather catcher. I recognize the razor and who sold it. He has a wonderful selection of razors.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Trigger like this.
  3. GAW9576

Here's a Gem razor you probably have never seen before. IMG_20220906_220952_(1020_x_1020_pixel).jpg IMG_20220906_220909_(830_x_830_pixel).jpg
    My last shave was with this crazy little beast. It's my own creation and a bit of a Frankenstein monster. I put together parts from several damaged razors to make the Gem Peerless Bullet Pruf with Guiding Eye.

4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Excellent Star 1912 shave! It is such a pleasure to shave with. Lavender added to the pleasure.

Razor - Star 1912
    Blade - GEM Personna SS 3rd
    Pre-shave - TOBS Herbal Gel
    Soap - Castle Forbes Lavender cream
    Brush - Simpson T1 Trafalgar
    Post - Thayers Toner "Rose Petal" & Proraso balm
    AS - Pinaud Clubman "Whiskey Woods"

Shaving with the Star is always a pleasure. Razor glides nice with no worries of nicks. I got super close with a 2-pass shave WTG & ATG with no cleanup. No feedback from alum bar and zero cuts, nicks, or errors. I hope all have a pleasant day!

DSCN9814.JPG

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is something I have scheduled for next week's shaves. I will be trying an injector blade in my MMBT Flying Wing. I am using a Supply Black Label injector blade. I put the edge up against the stops and close the lid. Looking at the back you can see where the lid tab is pressing against the back of the blade. Looking at the front, the blade appears to be in a secure attitude, ready for shaving.

sos220912x.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    gorgo2, ischiapp, GoodShave and 4 others like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Jim it will be very secure and will not move at all. Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    gorgo2, GAW9576 and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I am looking forward to them.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great Video Jim, I always enjoy watching your videos because you get some great razors along the way in your travels & friends who like to have you test proto types creations out for them( Tom W & Rodger razors) . Take care & have some great shaves!

Jayaruh and GAW9576 like this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have 3 on the way. The GEM Jr will be here tomorrow. This is not the Damaskeene I bought but, it is similar. I can't seem to bring up the pictures of the one I bought now!

GEM jr01.jpg GEM jr04.jpg lather-catcher.jpg lather-catcher01.jpg damaskeene.jpg

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Three excellent razors you have on the way, The lather catchers are a nice treat every once in a while to shave with, looks like it is great condition for its age also.
    I have 2 working grade lather catchers and they give such a nice shave. I have not used a Ever-ready lather catcher just the Gem Jr bar and a Star bar and really enjoy them with a new blade and they shave just as good as anything out there IMO and have tested lots of razors. Enjoy!

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Very good video! Interesting! My Feather blades are too long. I have plenty of the GEM Personna SS blades but, I may pick up a pack of those injector blades to try in one of my single edge razors. I have 3 Micromatics

gorgo2, GAW9576 and Jayaruh like this.
  12. GAW9576

Just be sure to start out with a very light touch with the E-R lather catcher. Some people find them to be aggressive. I think it's best to start out light and make small adjustments as you go till you find what works best for you.
    I have all 3 of those razors and love each one. Although my E-R handle is different. I like the look of the one you have better.

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

It can't be any worse than the Featherweight. That razor requires a VERY light touch.

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  14. GAW9576

Interesting, I find the featherweights to be very forgiving razors. My 1st gen Deluxe and standard 1st gen seem to bemore efficient than my second gen but I've never found any of them to be aggressive.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hogie like this.
  15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have an early version of the Featherweight and I was told it is more aggressive. I cut the crap outta myself the first time using it.

16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

1912-1918 GEM Damaskeene.

VERY nice shaver!

DSCN9885.JPG

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It will work and if you want it to work even better snip a little bit out of the center of the back of the blade so it will sit flat.

GAW9576 likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Whats the advantage of that? The regular New Gem blades are designed with a slight downward angle with the blade bumps seat on base plate designed to mimic the old thicker spline back blades other than the 1930-32 Micromatic that was designed for the thicker splines at that time.

GAW9576 likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You are also lifting the blade further back. the downward angle is more extreme with an injector blade. All things being equal the more parallel the blade edge is to the guard the more aggressive it will cut. You can see and feel the same thing with autostrop razors when the guards have a little sag in them or are bent.

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. GAW9576

Could you post a few pictures of the Featherweight you have?

Hogie likes this.