Razorock "Hawk" V3

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hogie, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the OC being VERY aggressive. The site says that the A plate is the most aggressive. I only have the OC & standard plates. The standard really tames a blade.

GoodShave likes this.
  2. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I never have really enjoyed OC plates my self for other razors but I bought the Hawk second hand and it came with the OC plate and the standard plate.

I totally agree about what the site says about the aggressiveness of the 'A' plate. Even the person who made the post said YMMV. I guess for some people even with a larger blade gap, the presence of a solid bar may be more comfortable than with the OC. I bought the 'A' plate new just to see what it was like and round out the collection. I figure it will be a while before I get around to the 'A' plate as I need to figure out the standard plate well enough to try the other plates.

Thank you so much for this great thread! It will be a great reference once the Hawk gets here.

Hogie likes this.
  3. GoodShave

@Hogie , when you choose to shave with an AC style blade, do you find yourself reaching for the Hawk more than your DX?
    I know when I shave with my SR style AC razors that it takes more time and effort to shave, so I don't use them as often (save those shaves for a weekend).

Hogie likes this.
  4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, I will reach for the Hawk before I will the DX. I really need to let the beard grow for a couple days to really use the DX. I save the ProGuard blades for the DX now. I can handle the other blades with the Hawk

GoodShave likes this.
  5. GoodShave

My Hawk V3 arrived yesterday with the standard and OC base plates. I bought it second hand.

It came with some Schick Pro Line P-30 AC blades but I have not had a good experience with those blades in barber razors in the past (even with corking them). Maybe I just had a few bad blades in the past or maybe they will work differently for me in the Hawk.

I will not double post but for my first shave, I went with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade, the standard base plate and used these handles: Razorock Haloed UFO (first pass)/Barber Pole (second pass).
    Using Razorock XXX Italian shaving soap and Stirling Glacial unscented pre-shave soap, I had a DFS. It was a very pleasant shaving experience.

Since my last post in this thread I have read from more people who said the 'A' base plate was more comfortable than the OC base plate for shaving. I am not sure if that might have been a fluke in an early batch of base plates or not. My 'A' base plate arrived today and once I have a few shaves under my belt with the standard base plate, I plan to use the 'A' base plate next (and later try the OC base plate).

Hogie likes this.
  6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Up for tomorrow

DSCN9688.JPG

slim6596 and GoodShave like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

It is very nice getting back to the Hawk v3. Such a pleasant shaver. I used the standard plate with a fresh Professional blade. This was a shave I hated to see done! 2-pass shave got me super close and smooth!

Razor - Hawk v3 with standard plate
    Blade - Feather Professional 1st shave
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Soap - Captain's Choice "Italia"
    Brush - Simpson T2 Trafalgar synthetic
    Post shave - Thayers Toner "Rose Petal" & Captain's Choice "Venture" balm
    AS Captain's Choice "Italia"

Very pleasant 2-pass shave with cleanup on my jawline. WTG & ATG. I pre-heated the bowl & brush with HOT water. Scooped a dollop of soap with my spoon. It was a little harder lathering in the bowl as I had to work at dissolving the chip of soap. I had to work at it with the brush and still ended up with a small piece after done. I will have to start whisking in the jar! I do not want to bloom this soap as it is semi-soft. Been a while since I used this harder soap. I got zero cuts, nicks, or errors. Zero feedback from the alum bar.

DSCN9690.JPG

GoodShave likes this.
  8. GoodShave

Which handle are you using with your Hawk?

9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I ordered the Hawk v3 and this is the handle it came with. Not sure what it would be called. I do like how the Barber pole one looks so, I had to order one!
    This handle is short and I like the short handles best. Nice heft to it too. The Standard plate is mild while the Open Comb is a beast! You simply MUST ride the cap with the open comb or it will bite!
    The Standard plate is forgiving while the open comb is not.

RazoRock-Hawk-Standard-HD-Handle_1024x1024.jpg

slim6596, GoodShave and Ron R like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Steep angle shaving ( riding the bar)? On aggressive razors this works the best for my self. Short handle is great for Steep angle shaving (riding the bar) is more nimble & quicker responsiveness + less weight also.

Hogie and GoodShave like this.
  11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, this is how I use my aggressive razors. Especially the Hawk with the open comb

Ron R and GoodShave like this.
  12. GoodShave

That handle looks like the Razorock HD handle. I don't have that one (yet) but it looks like a nice handle.

When I bought my second hand Hawk V3, it came with the barber pole handle. The seller originally ordered it with the regular UFO handle but wanted to keep it (my guess), so he gave me a brand new barber pole handle. The barber pole handle knurl is less deep than the standard UFO handle. I am hooping that the knob at the end of the barber pole handle will help me have a better grip with less pressure when doing south/north passes on my neck. I think I am starting a handle collection. :)

Hogie likes this.
  13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Beautiful! New Barber pole handle.

DSCN9833.JPG

slim6596, ewk and GoodShave like this.
  14. GoodShave

That looks great!

I am sure you will enjoy the shave experience!

Hogie likes this.
  15. GoodShave

After trying the standard plate, the A plate and the OC plate with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade, I think the OC plate is the most efficient of the three. I also think the OC plate is the most aggressive of the three. If I went with a sharper blade, maybe the other two plates would be more efficient. I have read that with the Feather Pro Super blade that many people think it makes the Hawk too aggressive but I also have seen at least one person post that they like that combination. I will have to think about my next steps with the Hawk.

Hogie likes this.
  16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - Hawk v3 (new barber pole handle)
    Blade - Feather Professional 2nd use
    Soap - Castle Forbes Lavender cream
    Brush - Simpson T2 Trafalgar
    Pre-shave - Proraso White
    Post shave - Thayers toner "Lavender" (new) & Captain's Choice Venture AS Balm
    AS Pinaud Clubman - Vanilla

Washed face while I warmed the bowl & brush with HOT water. This cream soap lathers very easy. Love the scent! I did a 2-pass with minimal cleanup WTG & ATG. Back to smooth again! The Hawk with the standard plate is very efficient and it really does tame the Professional blades to the point of being mild. Simply amazing! No cuts, nicks, or weepers! Alum was silent today.

DSCN9836.JPG

GoodShave and Ron R like this.
  17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, the Open Comb is very efficient too but, you have to be more careful using it. I ride the cap when I use the OC. If the OC is respected and handled correctly, it shaves VERY close!

GoodShave likes this.
  18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - Hawk v3 with open comb base plate
    Blade - Captain Titan Mild (3rd use)
    Pre-shave - Proraso Red
    Soap - Mudder Focker
    Brush - Simpson T2 Trafalgar synthetic
    Post - Thayers Toner & Geo F Trumper "Skin Food" Sandalwood
    AS - Pinaud Clubman Whiskey Woods

Washed face while I warmed bowl and brush with HOT water. This soap is nice and slick and creamy. Easy to whip up. The Mild blade got me clean and close with zero irritation and no cuts. 2-pass shave WTG & ATG. No cleanup. I have gotten good with the Mild blade and when I bin this blade, I wil try with a Professional blade. Riding the cap is the only way to shave and not cut myself with this open comb. You can feel the blade. I see this as more aggressive than what everybody calls "The Beast" (Muhle R41). This is the Beast to me! Me like!

Zero feedback from the alum bar. No cuts, nicks, or errors. Very Nice!

I still recall how this setup cut me several times the first time I tried it. I have tamed the Beast!

DSCN9864.JPG

GoodShave likes this.
  19. GoodShave

@Hogie How does your new barber pole handle compare to your previous HD handle? I have not tried the HD handle.

Hogie likes this.
  20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The weight is the same and the only diff is the look. I think the barber pole is more jewel like. I now have the HD handle on an open comb head that I had without a handle. It had come with a long handle that I did not like. I like shorter heavy handles. Both handles have a sure grip with the knurling.

DSCN9902.JPG DSCN9904.JPG

GoodShave likes this.