Coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by burnWood, Apr 5, 2012.

1. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I ordered an original AeroPress today to go along with my AeroPress Go.

I am having fun with this versatile brewer.

Last night I was watching a video of inventor Alan Adler at a conference and he mentioned that you can use the inverted method to brew loose tea. I might give that a try as well.

In case anyone else is toying with the idea of trying the AeroPress, here is a video with nine different ways to brew with an original size AeroPress.

Time stamps for the video:
    0:00 Intro
    1:05 Espresso Style
    2:38 Cold Extracted Espresso Style
    4:00 Classic Black Coffee
    5:47 The Inverted Method
    7:19 AeroPress On Ice
    8:36 Cold Brew
    10:06 Cold Drip
    11:36 French Press Style
    13:08 Supersized AeroPress

jaro, DaltonGang and MoAllen like this.
  2. GoodShave

Hey everyone,

I was watching videos for AeroPress recipes and ran across a video promo for a new book by James Hoffman called 'How to make the best coffee at home'. The US release is September 15. I went on Amazon to look at it and they had it for pre-sale for the Kindle for $5.99 US which I thought was pretty inexpensive so I ordered it. While I was there, I saw his 'World Atlas of Coffee' for only $1.99 US as well. I picked it up too. I figure it is the least I could do since I have benefited from several of Jame's videos.

Enjoy!

jaro and MoAllen like this.
  3. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I have enjoyed many of James Hoffman's YouTube videos. It is amazing to find myself following his every word as he performs blind taste tests to compare the differences between brewing temperatures or grind sizes. Totally captivating!

jaro and GoodShave like this.
  4. GoodShave

I really like how James make videos to test popular steps in making coffee to see if they really make a difference or not (like warming a French press before brewing coffee, for example). I also find his videos entertaining like the one where he bought all the coffee brewers at Ikea to see if any of them could make good coffee. Then he gave away all the items to his Patreon subscribers.

MoAllen likes this.
  5. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I picked up a pouch at Wal-Mart for like 3.99 that I pack my AeroPress in and it works very well... It holds all the kit . It is a good little brewer...

GoodShave and MoAllen like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Folgers French Roast is my current coffee.

Troy M and MoAllen like this.
  7. MoAllen

I have a happy update to the story of my leaky Aeropress. I decided to get another rubber gasket and discovered that you can now get a generic replacement part from Amazon that is inexpensive, about $5. So I ordered a replacement and while waiting for it to arrive, I read some discussions about leaking, and realized that I was making the problem worse by the way I stored my Aeropress! After washing it, I was reassembling it and tightening the filter holder in place. This is convenient because it all stays together, but it does mean that the rubber gasket is stored in a compressed state. I am now storing the Aeropress without tightening the filter holder. This allows the plunger to go slightly farther and the rubber gasket is not compressed.

Simple change, but now the machine doesn't leak! I have the replacement part ready when I will eventually need it, but for now, I am using my Aeropress again.
    :eatdrink013:

Enrico, GoodShave and swarden43 like this.
  8. GoodShave

Thanks for letting me know!

Would you mind posting the Amazon link?

9. MoAllen

AMI PARTS Plunger Rubber Gasket Silicone Seal Replacement Part for AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker (1pc) https://a.co/d/3bllxDq

GoodShave likes this.
  10. GoodShave

Thank you!

11. GoodShave

@MoAllen how many times do you reuse paper filters?

I saw in a video that the inventor of the AeroPress had used one 80 times!
    I just used my current filter this morning for the 12th time.

I had seen a James Hoffmann video on the subject and he mentioned that the TDS of the final brew goes up with reusing filters but I am not sure I could say my brew tastes differently by reusing filters.

MoAllen likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My second hand $5 Mr Coffee still making fantastic coffee ..... once in a while I even set the clock on it ..... unfortunately it on the circuit with the lights in my office, so it off when I come in each morning ..... but that's ok, the coffee it makes is still great.

:eatdrink013:

Paul Turner and MoAllen like this.
  13. MoAllen

I have never reused a filter. I was not aware until now that this was something people thought about for the quality of the brew. I once talked to a guy about Aeropress and he mentioned that he reused his filters. I thought he was just being thrifty, but I have never worried about spending a couple of cents on a filter. I do wet the filter and let some water drain through it before using, but that is to get rid of any slight paper taste. I do the same thing with V60 or Melitta filters.

I just watched a James Hoffman video where he did a blind taste test with a new filter vs reused filter and he couldn't tell which was which.

Do you think there is a difference in taste when you reuse a filter?

Paul Turner and GoodShave like this.
  14. MoAllen

@GoodShave I just re-used my Aeropress filter from my first cup of the day to brew my second cup of the day. I can't say that I could tell any difference in taste, but it was fun to try.

GoodShave likes this.
  15. GoodShave

I can't say that I have tasted a difference but I do let the filter dry out completely before I reuse it again.
    Here is the video where they said the inventor of the AeroPress used one filter 80 times (as well as several other tips they learned from the inventor while filming the AeroPress movie).
    I don't think I will try to use a filter that many times. I have so many filters but don't want to be wasteful either.

MoAllen likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

I use an 8-12 cup filter in a 4 cup space.Works OK, but I sure do miss the 4's.

MoAllen likes this.
  17. MoAllen

Can you not get 4 cup filters for your coffee maker anymore?

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

.The 4-oz. cones may have gone the way of Rise Superfoam and Rapid Shave.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    MoAllen likes this.