Stubble: I cannot evenly get a 1mm length, what implement do I need?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigBrother, Sep 23, 2022.

1. BigBrother

BigBrother New Member

I always find that when I clean shave and let it grow out for ~3 days, it looks far, far superior to using a beard trimmer without a comb (or with a short comb setting, which is even worse). The trimmer always produces patches and uneven results regardless of technique or trimmer used. I want it perfectly even but growing it out that way is my only choice right now.

I keep thinking there has to be a better way to get even stubble (~1mm in my case), also given that I see plenty of men in media and in person with perfectly even stubble and I doubt they grow it/time it that way!

I just bought Supply Co's Pro model as it's adjustable up to 0.7mm, but it's useless for what I need as it doesn't use a comb or other blocking mechanism and presents even greater angle-dependence than a trimmer. There would be no way to steadily hold the razor for even length the whole way around (clean shave, sure, but not this).

Are there rotary razors or straight/safety ones with variable length combs that would fit the bill? (I feel a rotary one, which flexes to the contour of the face, might ensure the least angle-dependence.) Something else I’m missing here?

I really appreciate your help!

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i shave then leave it for a day or so.grows in evenly all over.a patch or so is a little thinner. so i leave it another day.then it's more even.at this point where its even i call it a base.i trim /shave from there..

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. BigBrother

BigBrother New Member

But I can't rely on that. I want a fixed length everyday, much like a clean shave produces 0mm hair everyday. So I need some implement that doesn't necessitate a 72 hour plan :).

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

sorry friend,no info beyond natural growth.:)

5. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

I'm speculating here but when I was doing this I was using a corded Wahl Peanut clipper. I found what created those uneven beard length spots was when I did not always go ATG of hair growth. Doing ATG (sometimes multiple times) makes the beard "stand up" before being cut. When I went WTG the whisker didn't seem to stand up and was always longer than the others. Might give it a try as it helped me.

Also I've seen on Kickstarter new devices like below that are designed specifically for this. They are sometimes called a "mower" somewhere in their description.
    Disclaimer - Below picture is only for demonstration purposes and not a particular product recommendation as I have no experience with any these type devices.
    [​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s, riverrun and brit like this.
  6. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a skill thing. When I first started using a straight razor I had really uneven results. After doing it for a while, I got better at knowing the dips and valleys of my manly chin and was able to get an even, close shave. Perhaps it's the same way if you're looking for an even 1mm stubble result using some sort of clipper/trimmer device. Angle you're holding it? Direction of the stroke? I dunno. Just speculating. I'm not allowed to have any stubble AT ALL or my bride won't smooch me (I'm easily beguiled by feminine charms), so my input is pretty much worthless, I guess.
    :)
    - Bax

7. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Phillips Norelco has one called a stubble trimmer .... They also have / had one called beard trimmer.... Look up stubble trimmers or even go old school and look up Miami Vice stubble trimmers and you will see A lot of things....The Phillips goes down to .5 mm and up... So you should be able to do 1 mm with it. Their beard trimmer went down to 1 mm but they came out with the stubble trimmer which will let you go shorter if you want....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  8. brit

brit in a box

i use a clipper set with a short guard on it to trim my goatee.works well enough..:)

Ijustmissedthe50s and jaro like this.
  9. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Yeah it says you can also use closed clippers to achieve a 1 mm stubble...

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I had a beard for about 8 months, and used a hair trimmer with an attachment for length. Depending on how long you want it, you use the appropriate attachment. As another stated, going against the grain of the beard will get the best results. But, if you have spotty beard growth, you adjust the trimming. I feel I shouldn't have to say this, as it should be common knowledge.
    Being a shaving forum, I can advise on Straight Razor Shaving even more.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  11. BigBrother

BigBrother New Member

Hmm, things said here have given me an idea. Before, my approach was always "use the length I want... get unevenness." That length with my trimmer was no comb. (The 1mm setting was way too long.) But, with the ATG comment above and what Bax said, it got me thinking- perhaps my approach has been wrong! I should set the comb to what I actually want (say 1mm) and then really shave the sh*t out of my face in every possible direction. Point being- perhaps the issue wasn't that 0mm yields uneven, it's that 1mm needed to be really driven home. In other words, if I use 1mm and hit every single angle, no hair shall escape but also it should in theory never go shorter than 1mm. Seems like simple stuff, but sometimes you need feedback to see it! Will report back in a day or two :)