Step by Step guide to a Restored Razor

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by gssixgun, Oct 29, 2009.

?

What are we using for scales ?????

Poll closed Nov 5, 2009.
  1. Acrylic, Light colors (White, Yellow, Gold, Gray)

7.7%
  2. Acrylic, Med colors (Red, Orange, Copper, Brass)

20.5%
  3. Acrylic, Dark colors (Black, Blue, Purple,)

12.8%
  4. Exotic Wood, Light colors (Olive, Leopard, Bocote)

23.1%
  5. Exotic Wood, Dark colors (Cocobolo, Wenge, Ebonies)

35.9%
  1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like you have a Green Lizard, One of my personal favorite shavers...

There is a reconstituted stone product that is out there, I probably could make scales out if it...
    Drop me a PM or visit my Website and we can talk about it there... TY

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I know this is a very old thread, but does the post with the finished razor still exist? I got an error when I tried to go to it.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You'll have to ask Glen. not sure what happened to the images or the razor. Of course this was about six years ago….;)

4. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I do not know either...

It was given away during a Christmas PIF which is what that last link went to...

I might have the old Originals but that was 2 computers ago :(

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Time to break out that old Commodore 64! :D:lam:

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Oh well, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Based on the other razors you have posted, I can just assume it looked awesome.

45auto likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Still an excellent tutorial!

gssixgun likes this.
  8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

What is the age of blade? If able to put a date on it?

9. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna start taking my halberd apart soon and making scales. Maybe natural bone so I can dye them same color as brush I'm making

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  10. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

What's the best way you found to remove the old pins

11. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    To remove most pins I use a highly polished set of Flush cutters I buy at Harbor Freight..

BUT

I have had a ton of practice doing them that way, somehow many people manage to mess that up and crack their scales

Safest way and what I use on delicate scales is to file the tops and use a Pin Vise (Finger Drill) to start a hole in the Pin/Washer then after I have it WELL established I take it over to the Drill press and very carefully drill enough to pop the washer or collapse the pin.. Then I very very carefully tap the pins out using a 1/16" punch...

And sometimes the scales crack anyway...

Re-pinning

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men often go awry....
    Ain't it the truth?

13. neiasden

neiasden Member

what is your recommendation?

14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Unless you are doing a lot of them just use Wet r Dry sandpaper

After using dry or water, try it with WD-40 as you finish at each grit level, that will introduce slurry and add a glow to the polish

neiasden likes this.
  15. neiasden

neiasden Member

all right, how come it doesn't let you upload a file everywhere on here it wouldn't let me on the other place I was talking to you so I put it on here but this is the one I did after watching that video I try to Jewelers all first and that was a total not happening with my MS getting those blades in there impossible for me but I did have one of our rage do it and using the saw was not hard the coping saw as long as you use fine blades it's not so bad I just stay far off my line and do a lot of sanding. I haven't drilled any holes in anything good yet I don't want to run the scales I'm not completely done with them, or happy with them they're plenty smooth and beveled and ready but some of them I have squared in some of them sharper some of them I did something different on all of them just experimenting but I left enough wood that I can go back and put the traditional design in it and sand away anything I don't like imageedit_1_7162729082.jpg