30 Day Rule/Focus; Oct 2022. All are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Sep 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi Everyone!

It's been one year since I volunteered to be the guardian of this thread. It has been my privilege and honor to serve in this capacity. Thankfully, there was very little controversy and I am glad that everyone got along. Without you guys, this thread would not have continued. We've seen some old and new members come and go and that's to be expected. It just the nature of the beast. However, I appreciate each and every member who have posted their shaves and other exploits this past year. I am pleased to announce that I will continue to serve you in this role for another year.

October is the harvest month and it's that time of year when we put away the summer clothes and start wearing sweaters and jackets to keep warm. It also means that most of you will be bringing out your Fall/Winter shave soaps and aftershaves. In any event, this month's main theme is Open Comb/Open Blade October. It means that open comb safety razors, straights and shavette razors are de rigueur. As always, I always give another option for the month's theme. Before I reveal it, I want to say that I didn't invent it. I went into the 30DC archives and I have to give credit to Neal @NCoxSTL, who was one of my predecessors. He had proposed Odds and Ends October. This entails using shave items that have been collecting dust in your den. It could be a shaver, soap or aftershave, etc. Basically, you would be mixing and matching to create a new or unlikely setup. Ok, I can imagine some of you guys looking at me like I am crazy. Lol! It could be something as simple as using a Frankenrazor or a Frankensoap. If you're creative, then maybe a Frankenaftershave. Warning! If you do a Frankenaftershave, then make sure the combined scents are compatible.

Last month's Highlights:

First, I want to say that Paul @Paul Turner was a good sport about the Paulie Photo Countdown. We all wanted to help Paul with downloading a shave pic on our thread and the suggestions were great. Hopefully, he will download a pic on this thread one day.

Second, I want to welcome our newest member to the 30 DC and that's David @GoodShave. He's already improved on his shaving technique last month. Kudos to you David!

Third, I tried getting in touch with Jeff @jgreenepa via messenger calling. The phone kept ringing, but there wasn't any answer. I am sure we all hope for the best concerning his health.

Fourth, Hurricane Ian has hit Florida so let's keep our thoughts and prayers for those affected by this storm. Closer to home, Joe @JACarbone has a place down there so let's all hope that the damage would be minimal or none at all.

Fifth, Gary @brit recently received a shavette. His first try was successful. Hopefully, he will use it more frequently, since it fits with this month's theme. ;)

Finally, Hogie's @Hogie bike finally got fixed, but his favorite Italian restaurant has been closed for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, it opens up and he gets to see his favorite waitress once again.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great October of awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

JACarbone, GoodShave and brit like this.
  2. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

A great introduction to October Joe...My Franken-razors and Frankensoaps will be making an appearance throughout the month.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Hogie, JACarbone, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. palmolive fox

1st October 2022.

1.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Mandarin & Lemongrass Extract Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
    Pears with Mint Extracts Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Omega 10066.
    Face Lather.
    Lather: Phoenix & Beau Star Noir Shaving Soap.
    Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum. (D1)
    Razor: Muhle R41. (2013) (Face)
    Razor: Gillette Guard. (Head) (D1)

Cold water Face & Head Wash with brush Squeezing's/Cold water Face & Head rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / Brut Sport Style ASL. / Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

Greetings,

(Face & head Shave.)

A new shave set up to start the weekend...Continuing with the focus of revisiting DE blades adding with my humble collection of OC razors throughout the month along with an assortment of DE & SE razors.
    Starting the month off with the assertive semi-open comb Muhle R41 & the mild yet efficient Gillette Guard.

A comfortable face & head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small few small dollops of Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

My face & precious swede are feeling smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Enjoy the start of the weekend, ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

kjbarth, Hogie, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Thank you Barry.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  5. Trigger

Outstanding Open Comb shaves to start the month Barry!

JACarbone, brit and palmolive fox like this.
  6. palmolive fox

Thank you, Joe...I intend to shave with the Muhle R41 more regular throughout the month, as I don't give it the attention it rightly deserves.

Hogie, JACarbone, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Happy October everyone! I hope to bring my Oud products into play for most of this month of OudCTOBER. Won't be every day, but I expect to use the Mutamayez cologne(House of Swiss Arabian)every day right through Halloween, as well as my AgadirMen bodywash and shampoo products(I still can't find the AgadirMen aftershave)., off and on throughout the month.. I have Rzorock's Tuscan Oud in soap&A.S., so you'll see a lot of that, too. The Razorock aftershave was PIFFed to me, a nice gesture from someone who is well aware my AgadirMEN A.S. is missing. There isn't much of it, but enough to get by while I keep on searching. Course I may have to do the PURCHASE persuasion of the thing. Anyway it's OudCTOBER for me! As I say, not every day of the month(save for the Mutamayez cologne), but most. Let's all have great shaves and enjoy talkinabout'em :)).

kjbarth, Hogie, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

awesome Joe.thank you.i will try another open blade shave with an oc back up.:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone, Trigger and palmolive fox like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

fine start to the month Barry.:cool:

JACarbone, Trigger and palmolive fox like this.
  10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave this morning Barry.

Trigger and brit like this.
  11. palmolive fox

Thank you, Gary. :happy088:

JACarbone, Trigger and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

saturday
    1959 1 piece
    platinum
    mr.ee #002
    royal forest

[​IMG]

good morning gents.
    off to great start with the gold rocket/platinum combo
    fine royal forest lather built with Evan's custom badger.
    matching splash to finish.
    awesome.
    this will be the newest razor i used this month,1959
    this brit beauty is the result of many updates that started as an open comb british popular in 1938.
    i will be using OC razors from here on in including an SE from a company that eventually became part of the gillette family.
    yes,you guessed it.valet autostrop.their fight for control of their blade industry created the new series oc as we know it.
    more as the month progresses..;)
    have a great day everyone.
    :eatdrink047:

kjbarth, JACarbone, GoodShave and 4 others like this.
  13. Trigger

That is Barry's quote, but thanks Gary. Lol!

14. brit

brit in a box

sorry Joe,coffee's not kicked in yet.it was meant for your opener.:):eatdrink047:

Paul Turner, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  15. Trigger

Awesome shave to start the month Gary.

16. Trigger

I figured the caffeine didn't hit your system. I knew what you meant. Better to have a brain fart than a razor slip.

17. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.i will add a snippet of gillette info as the month progresses:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

yes sir..;):eatdrink047:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

OUDtober sounds nice.

brit, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That might be a better choice....the capital C should be left out.

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.