What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I strung around two and a half miles of electric cattle fencing wire. I'm aching and sore from all the manual labor. I think today I'll spend the whole day napping, rubbing Bengay into my sore muscles, aloe on my sunburn, and periodically changing the band-aids on my blisters. If it involves pain, injury, and misery, it MUST be manly!
    :)
    - Bax

BamaT, Hogie, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Picked up branches, twigs, and several pounds of Spanish moss. Ian cut more to the ESE once it hit land so no damage here. Didn't even lose power.

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Cutting, Stacking and Racking wood for winter

Been a month-long project so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have learned to actually put on a damn back brace when doing this, but it is still just hard work

BamaT, brit, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I went for a walk on part of my 20 acres to see how much storms have blown down for me. I found a couple whole trees and also 2 dead standing that will get cut up. It was a pleasant walk while I puffed on my cigarillo. I will head in and start some cutting tomorrow. I am building a stack of blocks before I pull out the splitter. I keep splitter in the garage to keep mice out of it. They always move in and chew thru the ground wire so it shorts out and won't allow splitter to start! I am surrounded by my woods here.

DSCN0292.JPG

BamaT, brit, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I heated this home with my free-standing Lopi wood stove for 18 years before installing a boiler in 2018. What I hear could be coming this winter has me storing up firewood. I can store 4-5 full cord split and stacked. No electricity needed. It is a Liberty, the largest they make and can handle wood chunk up to 24 inches. I can cook on it too.

fire.jpg

BamaT, brit, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Especially vacuum cleaners. Lots get replaced when all they need is a good cleaning and maybe a new belt.

brit likes this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Bought a second lawnmower.
    I don’t need two lawnmowers but I couldn’t resist.
    It’s a 1974 Lawn-Boy 8232 that’s been in the same family since new. The self propelled hardware was removed years ago but it’s not something I need or want.
    No owner’s manual but I did get an original brochure and a 1975 complete service manual.
    It came with two bags; grass and leaf.
    My current mower (1986 Lawn-Boy 7351) didn’t come with bag attachment and sometimes I’ve wanted one when I get overwhelmed with maple tree helicopters.
    Starts easy and runs strong so I’m happy with it.
    Oh, and it’s old enough that you don’t have to hang onto the handle to keep it running. My ‘86 requires a velcro strap to override that pesky safety feature.
    Maybe after cutting the grass I’ll get out the lawn jarts.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    BamaT, brit, lottenhem and 1 other person like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have an original set of Lawn Jarts, from the early 70's, that we played with as kids. I had to replace a couple of broken plastic fins, but they are still fun. I sometimes let my neighbors kids play with them.

brit and John Beeman like this.
  9. DaltonGang

I Kayak'ed 4 miles down the Oachita River, with my 16 yr old daughter. We stopped off, ate some lunch, and continued. The manly part was, my kayak oar broke, 1 mile into it, so i did the last 3 miles with one side missing. It broke, pushing off a rock, on some shallow rapids. Fun times.

BamaT and Sara-s like this.
  10. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

You mean you were paddling with only one oar in the water, Itchy?

My wife accuses me of that sometimes, too!

- Bax

John Beeman, DaltonGang and richgem like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Well, 1 1/4 paddle.

12. brit

brit in a box

we should start a vintage lawn mower thread.."what's cutting your lawn?" :D:eatdrink047:

gorgo2, DaltonGang and John Beeman like this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Or "pimp my tractor"?

John Beeman and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

:happy102::eatdrink047:

richgem likes this.
  15. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Does my old '49 Ford 8N count as a "lawn mower" if the only 3-pt attachment I use on it anymore is a bush hog?
    - Bax

brit likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Tended to my Labrador retriever, he is a little under the weather today.

Enrico and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think the manly part was spending the day with your daughter & being a good dad.

BamaT, Paul Turner and DaltonGang like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I added a 2 pound leather mallet to my toolbox. Can’t beat it for punching stitch holes.
    83200D21-F01A-4010-B439-8B7A8EEEB79F.jpeg

BamaT, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Kidney stones.... that's manly, right? :angry017:

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ve had them myself. Not fun, but I can’t call them manly. Hope you recover quickly!