What would be best to use with a Dremel?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Reformation Student, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Well, the 2000 is still not as fine as the final finish put on straights. Generally if you want a mirror finish you must do polishing and buffing after the sanding phase using a series of polishing compounds.

Is the 2000 leaving shiny scratches? As in, is it cutting through the black rust or grey that you said remained? If it is you are on the right track. Make sure you sand the entire blade evenly and thoroughly. You are aiming for as homogeneous a finish as you can get. Once you are there, you can start the buffing and polishing phase.

Here is a nice intro to buffing and polishing.

James.

2. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Ahhh - good link - thnx. I guess I was thinking the 2000 would be fine enough to do some polishing but I can see that I am only part way there!! I think I am going to go pick up a buggered razor and practice on that one some.

I moved a year ago and before that had a couple of first class grinders with wheels I could have replaced to buffers. But, since I was moving I blew them out cheap. Now I am looking around and they are all going to cost me dough!! Rats!!! One step forward and three back - as my usual!

Thanx for the notes Jimbo - much appreciated. At least I see I am on the right track.

3. neiasden

neiasden Member

a firearm in the wrong hands kill, in the right hands saves lives. I haven't had any problems with a dremel especially polishing

4. neiasden

neiasden Member

finally, a question I can answer. I know how you know LOL and I will leave it at that as well

QUOTE="Bronco, post: 102586, member: 165"]Dremel makes something similar to this that does a nice job, fits on the same shaft as the felt buffing pad, downside - they are about $4 each.
    Remember that the blade will get hot, get blue spots if you linger. Some of the older blades seem brittle to me so I lay it flat on a board so I don't chip it. It aint easy but it can be done. Don't ask me how I know these things. :o[/QUOTE]

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Rule of thumb. Avoid a Dremel tool if at all possible. Especially polishing the blade. It's too easy to lose control, and damage the blade.
    The only time I use one, is reshaping a broken blade, or modifying a Gold Dollar blade. also, I use.a Dremel shaping scales, sometimes.

6. neiasden

neiasden Member

that's pretty much what I do. but it's all a learning process for me but I hear enough people caution using them so if I ever do I will keep that in mind. how do they hurt the blade by buffing it?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My two cents - can cause heat, which can ruin the temper, which destroys the hardness, that prevents getting a good shaving edge.

Steve56 and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

From personal experience, the buffer on the dremel can catch the blade, and sling it, damaging things. I've ruined one blade buffing with a Dremel and since then, I bought a Bench mounted buffing wheel. Light years easier, and better to use for razors. But, you still have to pay attention.