My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I saw this vintage Avon soap and wanted it as a display on the shelf, but found the container very brittle and broke very easily.

avon_vintage_scrub_mug.jpg

The only things I salvaged was the reducer I installed in a vintage travel cologne bottle and the dark blue cap.

I had a Fuller brush I cut in half and used the top half to build a brush; leaving the bottom.
    IMG_1737-2.JPG

Between the two pieces I figured I could build a nice little travel brush or just a slightly petite shaving brush.

IMG_2431.jpg
    The new Avon Fuller AKA ..... FrankenFuller

I bridged them together with piece of 5/8" brass pipe with epoxy and weighted it with BB's. I installed a 20mm synthetic Maseto knot. With an overall height of 4" it's not a bad little brush.

And as always ..... More to come.

:D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I finished off a few more brushes I found laying about.

s-l1600-56.jpg IMG_2440.jpg

This first one was an unknown boar brush that needed some TLC. I removed the knot, replaced the swivel and a friend re-plated it in nickel. I gave it a nice 24mm synthetic two banded badger Oumo knot.

IMG_2441.jpg

The second is a Bass that had a really poor knot. I removed the knot, inverted bored it to give it a Persian jar look and installed a 20mm Oumo Cashmere knot. I also installed a modern buffalo nickel in the base.

IMG_2442.jpg
    The last but not least is a personal favorite ..... a vintage butterscotch Rooney shaving brush with a 20mm two banded badger knot from Maggards.

And as always ..... more to come. :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Cool. And what is the handle on that first one?

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

nickel plated brass

5. brit

brit in a box

Enrico likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you!

:)

brit likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Four more that were waiting far too long to be restored ..........

IMG_2449.jpg
    Ever Ready (bobber style) restored and weighted with a 22mm cashmere from Oumo.
    IMG_2450.jpg
    Rubberset restored with an Oumo 20mm synthetic badger.
    IMG_2451.jpg
    An unknown handle I receive in a group; restored with a 22mm cashmere from Oumo.
    IMG_2447.jpg
    A bone Beehive from an unknown origin restored with a 20mm Maggards 2 banded badger.

And as always ..... more to come.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Enrico likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Jim.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

With bits and pieces of brushes unusable or destined for the scrap bin I built an unusual travel shaving brush.

IMG_2459.jpg IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869-2.JPG IMG_2460.jpg IMG_2472.jpg

A barber duster and an unknown cream shaving brush with a severely damaged surface. Cut down and trimmed

I installed a 22mm Oumo synthetic finest two banded badger. I call it the "The Pacifier"

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

So clever and unique. Love it. I really like one of a kind brushes. And using a variety of parts, materials and sizes is fun.

brit and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Chris.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool Keith.nicely done.:cool:

Enrico likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Gary.

:happy088:

brit likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I found a butterscotch Ever Ready Badger-lon 300BN Shaving brush that needed restoring.

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

Removing the original knot and expanding the opening slightly, I installed a 20mm Oumo synthetic two banded badger knot. It's set with a higher loft than I would have preferred, but still has plenty of backbone and nice soft tips.

16. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

If Anyone runs across a Paladin brush handle let me know Please!! I have always wanted a Paladin handle but the things Always cost a small fortune and I can't afford that much... It doesn't have to have a good knot in it or even Any knot for that matter, I can replace that part myself.. Thanks everyone for your time....

Dragon and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I do see them on ebay as used periodically.

jaro and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Yep. and Thanks . But ... There are some on there right now and they range from 100 dollars up to around 1000.00 , it's a little much for me.. There are Plenty of other things I would rather spend a thousand dollars on than a brush... Well actually about 900.00 right now on ebay is the top end..

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I agree that's why I restore vintage brushes ..... though I did break down once and purchase one from etsy.

Ijustmissedthe50s, jaro and Dragon like this.
  20. Dragon

Dragon New Member

Absolutely gorgeous, now I want one for my collection too!

Enrico likes this.