War of the Adjustables!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Which Adjustable Razor Do You Prefer?

1. Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Other

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Merkur Progress

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Parker Variant

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. PAA Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus/Crusader/Meiji

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Other (Comment Below)

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I've got a progress on its way to me as well...
    Offered to me in trade for a vintage tech, so I took it...and included some extras because I felt the value was off in my favor.
    Really had no desire for a modern Merkur, not a fan of zinc heads, but a little variety won't hurt I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

2. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

My current Adjustable lineup, in order by favorite to least.

Favorite Adjustable - Rockwell 6s (I have the rare OG Kickstarter edition that didn't get the grinder treatment), and 2 Version 2's - one for home, one for travel. No matter what blade I use, no matter how many shaves are on it, it always gives a good, smooth shave. I also have a couple sets of the plates and caps that were abused on the grinder. IMHO they should have continued shipping out the original. It's still an excellent razor.

Just received the Taiga Ti this morning and it gave a good shave. I need more than one shave on it to really give a full opinion though. I'm thinking now I should have gotten the stainless as 2 oz is a little lighter than I'm used to, though it weighs more than my Techs or Schick Kronas which I never thought were too light. Weird.

Got the Pearl Flexi last week - not a big fan. It's the only razor I have that drags and the shave is OK at best. I got it to replace my travel Rockwell so I didn't have to mess with plates on the road. I'll stick with the Rockwell 6s on the road. I found their customer service kinda blows too. I wouldn't buy anything from them again.

WAY below those... fatboy, slim black beauty, etc. When I didn't know any better I was happy with them but they really don't compare to the modern stainless adjustables. I'll probably keep one of each and sell the rest. I don't enjoy using them when I have other razors that give a much smoother shave.

Tdmsu and Michael_W like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My favorite adjustables in order:
    1. Rex Ambassador and Supply Pro (a tie)
    2. Pal Adjustable
    3. Mergress

brit likes this.
  4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

No matter how a manufacturer labels them in their ads, in my opinion no razor is an adjustable if you have to dis-assemble it to "adjust" it. So Rockwell 6S, Karve, ATT, etc. , fine razors all, are razor sets or razor systems, not adjustable razors.

Adjustables would include the Gillettes you mentioned, the Progress, Rockwell Model T, Rex Ambassador, Supply Pro, Pal Adjustable, among others.

jgreenepa, kfbrady, jay_gatz and 2 others like this.
  5. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I have two slims, a 62 and a 64. The 64 is ok, but the 62 is a great razor. Super smooth and efficient. It leaves me wondering if the difference bus due to better condition, or variations in production quality. If the difference is a regular of quality control variation, then I would have to vote for slims.

brit and Enrico like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

There were slight manfacturing changes between 62 and 64 on the slims but i haven't heard of much difference shave wise from others.a slight drop or minor tweak could change the way they feel though.my 67 m-4 never felt smooth compared to my g-1.although it didn't look damaged.:eatdrink047:

jgreenepa and canoeroller like this.
  7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Agree totally. The Sailor is the best adjustable I've ever used. Nothing compares.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

8. oldtech

oldtech Member

I must try this Personna Micrometric one day
    [​IMG]

9. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Now that’s a razor you don’t see much! Thanks for sharing!

oldtech and brit like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I really like my Schick M adjustable. I am doing adjustables this week, and I will also include Gillette 195, Slim, Super 84, and Merkur Progress. I have other adjustables that I will try to get to in the following week.

jgreenepa and Angelo85 like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Thursday June 9th 2022

Razor : Yaqi TFC adjustable, excellent all range razor, well designed, I receive excellent shaves and easy to adjust on the fly. It is affordable for folks who want a great razor IMO.(settings 3-3-pickups 3.5 works well for my self.)
    Blade : Personna Red chrome platinum (1), Sharp & smooth with great longevity.
    Soap : Razorock The dead Sea, very nice unique scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi 22mm Cola, excellent lather generator, fits the hand beautifully, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea [​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Stellar shave this morning with just outstanding products like my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Personna Red blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Tdmsu, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  12. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Just as I was starting to think that my Goodwill was my favorite OC razor,
    I found out that my Single Ring is Gillette's first adjustable razor.
    Now I have to reevaluate.

1100002-695x1030.jpg

Tdmsu, brit, Michael_W and 3 others like this.
  13. DrStrange

Ok, using a GSB,
    the cap pins are not snug enough to keep the blade from sliding
    when I switch edges,
    when I have the razor backed off a little less than a quarter turn from tight.
    The tighter it is, the less it slides.
    This slight level of complexity is more than I want to deal with.

brit and Michael_W like this.
  14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I have my Grandfathers 1910 Single Ring . I've tried to do the adjustable way this morning and the Astra SP blade chattered and got loose, tightened the razor and got a great shave. Maybe the Single Ring is meant to use the thicker vintage blade to be adjusted comfortably.

15. brit

brit in a box

maybe one could trim the edges off of a dead blade and shim under the good blade with it..

Michael_W and DrStrange like this.
  16. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I think it's better that I just use my Fatboy

Michael_W, brit and DrStrange like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i agree.;):eatdrink047:

Michael_W and Tallships like this.
  18. DrStrange

In the war of the adjustables,
    the single ring comes in last,
    unless there's another contender?

Michael_W and brit like this.
  19. wheatshocker

wheatshocker Guest

+1 for Fatboys! I like mine.

Michael_W, brit and Tallships like this.
  20. DrStrange

I think I got a better idea, but I just shaved today so I can't test it right away.

I will let the blade slide all the way away from my face,
    and adjust the gap for the blade in that position.
    I don't know how easy that will be, or if it will work the way I want it to,
    but even if it does, I don't think that will be enough to win the war
    or even enough to climb up from last place.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Michael_W and brit like this.