What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Some relaxing time with some rocks and blades…
    Both went through the Suehiro 1k and 6k treatment, ending on the Okudo.
    Rigaudias
    2E885A0A-4F1D-400E-951E-B5ACFB417B7C.jpeg
    and the Boker
    DD1A38E9-7CAC-45F1-A3DE-98FAF499860D.jpeg
    I look forward to giving them a go.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Looking forward to your honing assessments on those razors, Tom.

TestDepth likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Beautiful blades.

Steve56, SammieM and TestDepth like this.
  4. TestDepth

Used the French blade this morning and it was a delight.
    That little Okudo is a great balance between sharp and comfort. Didn’t thin out the slurry with water as much as I did with the Boker, but still spent enough time on the stone to enjoy the journey.

Steve56 and Trigger like this.
  5. TestDepth

Thank you Scott.

6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Excellent report!

TestDepth likes this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Refreshing some edges on the daily drivers, I started with Shapton Glass 4k HR and 8k HC (not pictured). The finishers were a chunkey monkey probably Nakayama iro for the CVH and the Shell, and Alex Gilmore’s Nakayama #10 for the Rameau. The iro likes to have +10-15 lear water strokes at the end and does amazingly well for a softer stone, just as good as the harder ones provided you add those clear water strokes, it’s a polisher.

58D5539E-7ED3-46B6-831E-DD4149B108C5.jpeg 59FDC6C2-5600-4EF8-AEF9-D23B8C60EDB3.jpeg

8. straighten up

straighten up New Member

and what was your conclusion?. I always stop at a 12,000 Norton synthetic

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That post is over 6 years old, you may or may not get a reply.

10. straighten up

straighten up New Member

I hope somebody like you answers if they see it lol. I noticed it was older. but the blades haven't changed so I figured the advice will be the same. LOL

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A 12k Naniwa will make a perfectly good edge, you won’t be limited by the hone.

straighten up and gssixgun like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Can Stop at a Naniwa 12 K Super Stone..It Has the Finishing Capacity of Around Maybe 15 K with a Bit of Skill..I Use Higher Grit Synthetic Lapping Film to Finish or Finer Natural Stones to Finish..Depends on the Steel..:D

A Naniwa 12 K Super Stone is a Very Versatile Hone..The Latest Generation Ones have a Higher Finishing Capacity then their Grit Rating in My Hands..They Can Cut Lower Grit With Slurry & are Great for Refreshing Bevels as Well..;)

Steve56 and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Even I can hone with this stone.

straighten up, gssixgun and Steve56 like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Good to see you Joseph!

Primotenore likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good to be seen, Steve. :) Have a good one.

16. pocosso

pocosso Active Member

[​IMG]

Arrived NOS. I honed it yesterday and used. Fantastic Sound!

JPO, Steve56, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Busy morning. It has been many many months since I have taken the steel to the stones. Today's progressions were with a Norton 320/1000 grit stone, and a King 1k(It acts like a 2-3k stone)for the bevel setting. I went straight to the JNAT with several Naguras, for the progression. I then finished the blades off on a, Arkansas Surgical Black. All stones are properly lapped flat. Each blade had the spine tapped, and before the Arkie, the tape was replaced. Oh, that 100# metal plate is for making a slurry with the Naguras. BTW, this is an excellent setup, not the fastest, but excellent.

P3190071.JPG

TestDepth likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Mystery Razor ???
    6/8th+
    Extra Hollow Ground

Still unknown what maker it is from. I will say that it didn't have a proper bevel, that I could see, when I started. So, I would say, this is the first time on stones. It took on an edge fast. The blade and spine are beautifully straight. Zero issues throughout the entire process. It was easily tree topping very fine arm hairs, from the 320, and every progression. Fantastic razor to hone. Now, will this mystery razor hold an edge?
    JNAT on the bottom, Arkansas Surgical Black on top.

P3190073.JPG

JPO and TestDepth like this.
  19. DaltonGang

H&H Grinding Co "Blue Steel Special"
    Made in Germany
    13/16th
    Extra Hollow. Bellied.

This one was also perfectly flat, and easy to hone, just as the above razor. It too had not had a proper bevel, outside the factory, put on it. The only issue was it had a tiny bit of corrosion on the bevel, midway, which reared its ugly head, during the bevel setting phase. It was at the very tip, and I hoped it would disappear during the process. I didn't want to grind on it any more than needed. By the time I was done with the JNAT, it was gone. It took on a very sharp edge.

P3190075.JPG

JPO and TestDepth like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Mondesir 95
    "Mondesir Special"
    L.Sommer & Co.
    Solingen
    7/8 Full Hollow

I have never seen one of these before, but I am glad I bought this one. Laser straight blade, and spine. The bevel was small and even, from toe to heel. This one was the easiest to hone, and was very sharp when done. Zero issues.

P3190074.JPG

Steve56 and TestDepth like this.