Are Fatboy's Worth......

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Dec 28, 2022.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

the ridiculous prices that are being asked on various commercial sites? I really would like to have one (or 2) but are they really that great or are there others that shave just as well but at a lesser price? A bit confused and would like input please?

Thanks in advance and enjoy those shaves

2. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

You have already answered your own questions.
    Yes, yes, yes and yes:
    Prices are ridiculous.
    They are really great.
    Others shave just as well.
    For a lesser price.

You're welcome. :p

stuartganis, brit, Lockback and 2 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The FatBoy is an icon. I own a '58 D3 with case and sealed blade pack/instructions. It's a beautiful artifact, but I rarely reach for it to shave. The head is too tall and bulky for me.

brit likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

We'd all be using Fatboys if they were the best thing ever because there sure are lot of them out there. They're lovely and fine shavers but nobody needs one.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That right there. It shaves like all G's adjustables do: just fine, and exactly the same as the others. It's just fatter.

brit likes this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Until I got my first one I was convinced that I absolutely had to have one.
    For my face the Slim gives the better shave.
    I wouldn’t recommend over paying unless you’re after a museum piece. All of the ones I’ve acquired were unexpected antique/thrift store finds where the seller knew them only as an old razor.

brit and stingraysrock like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

They're amazing razors. I have two (58, 59). But both were antique store finds, in excellent condition, for a total less than $25. eBay and other sites are overpriced. Start searching "in the wild".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

brit and John Beeman like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not sure what you consider a ridiculous price? A quick perusal of the internet shows them as between $60-$100 for decent razors. A case adds a bit to the price. User grade takes a bit away from the price. There's always someone who thinks it's worth $700. (It's not). If it's been replated, add another $50-80 to the price.

They shave better than most modern adjustable razors, and are cheaper too.

When I started they were $25 for minty ones, and people grumbled because they were going up to $35 on eBay.

I'll reach for the Fatboy over a Slim, but I think they pretty much shave the same. The taller head was not an issue for me. The Fatboy feels good in the hand, and has a nice balanced feel to it, along with a feeling of heft. The knurling is also more aggressive than the Slims. The Slim is honestly a better design that suits a wider range of people.

If you like Gillette razors in general, and you also like hefty feeling razors, you'll probably really like a Fatboy.

Are they really that great? Absolutely. The Fatboy and Slim adjustables was Gillette in top form, making the best DE razors they ever would. They are the high water mark for mass produced DE razor technology, imo.

awk-m4, LaneP, twhite and 6 others like this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

As far as adjustables go, I think the Progress is better than the Fatboy or Slim.

Edit: not to be confused with Fatboy Slim!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    MR41, Herm2502 and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

as a guy who likes and uses gillettes daily..i find the slim suits me better.the slimmer head seems to work for me.i passed both of my fatboys to others.on a similar note,i use techs and new series open combs more than my brit tto's for the same reasons.

awk-m4 and stuartganis like this.
  11. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

Watched a "toggle" sell for $1,675.oo this week on eBay.

awk-m4, Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

:)

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've seen a couple of them sell for decent prices, but those I'm assuming are from sellers not knowing exactly what they are. They're just described as Gillette razors. Sometimes it's how you search for razors. But to answer the question, yep.

stuartganis and brit like this.
  14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I couldnt even sell mine for $500 replated in case with instructions. I guess i should have sold it on ebay

Old_Spice likes this.
  15. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good razors out there but only one Fatboy. Got mine at a decent price but seller did not inform me of the stripped internal part. Used a "tune up" service and shaves like new now and I love it. Got some brassing on the doors but to me that gives it character and reminds me of the previous owner who prized this razor when he bought it in 1960. I'll never trade it!

stuartganis and brit like this.
  16. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Nope, you would have not. eBay is full with regular Toggles at $400-500
    The one that sold was a cased Chrome in VGC.

To the OP: No, FB is not worth what they ask.
    But then if you want to buy it , no one can stop you.

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll speak as a minority ..... I like my Fatboy much better than a Slim. That said be patient and you can find them cheap ..... I've literally given 4-5 extras away over the years. It's when you're not looking you find them easy.

:)

awk-m4, Ron R, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i have an urge to own another fatboy for nostalgic reasons.one will come my way at some point.but beyond nostalgia there isn't any other reason to own/use one shave wise imo.there are many gillette razors that deliver same /better shaves.just like aristocrats,presidents,criterions,diplomats,if they fill your need.it's all good.i highly doubt a toggle shaves better than any listed here.different maybe,but unlikely.just a rarer handle.i certainly won't pay the silly prices for them.it's a collectors game..not a shavers... ;)

awk-m4, Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    On the flip side, an adjustable Gillette razor is going to let you know what other Gillettes you might like.

The longer you shave with a variety of other razors, the less important an adjustable razor is. I'd heartily encourage a shaving newbie to pick one up.

For someone who has been shaving for a while, it's more of a "nice to have" tool.

MR41, Lancre, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

absolutely.i agree.myself personally i tried all the others first.definitely a great way to experience all of gillette's shaves..without the fancy handles and expense..:)