In the market for a Safety Razor ... Henson? Or?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 16, 2023.

1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I need something a bit more aggressive I think for my shaves after camping mainly. At home, I to tend shave after my shower, or in the shower, so my whiskers are pretty soft. My whiskers are pretty thick in though but, I can't grow a decent beard if my life depended on it because there just isn't enough density.

I use a Fattip Piccolo as my daily driver with a DE89 to support occasionally as well. Over time, I think my whiskers have become coarser and tougher as my shaves aren't as close as I would like these days unless shave both directions and then follow up with a with a few swipes perpendicular to the first two strokes.

I have been led to believe the Henson AL13 Medium is a really good choice for me. I also wonder about the Muhle R41.

If you had 2 or 3 days of growth of heavy coarse whiskers, what safety razor would you use?

TIA,
    Sid

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A one pass Shaver, I presume? You state,
    " ...my shaves aren't as close as I would like these days unless shave both directions..."
    I've aways taken it that when using a DE or SE, it's all about beard reduction, thus multiple passes required. That was the reasoning for the multi-blade monstrosities - get it all done in one pass.
    Sounds like you've solved your own problem if you "shave in both directions."
    If you insist on one pass, try an adjustable opened up all the way.

gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm a firm believer in in a one pass shave, but I'm happy with a shave a Tech, Flare or a Red Tip. I enjoy my black beauty as well for adjustability.

:happy088:

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I think the Henson medium would be perfect for you. It is efficient and comfortable, and I would be comfortable using it in the shower. The R41 is a very good razor, but for me it demands more attention, a slower pace, and might be too much in the shower.

awk-m4 and Herm2502 like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think you ought to be able to get good shaves with either of the razors you own.

What I would do is switch to a sharper blade before adding more razors.

What blade are you using now?

7. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Is that because the R41 is more aggressive? While I appreciate a one-pass shave, two isn't too much either. 3 or more is!

8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I use a wide variety of blades. About the only blades I haven't used in the past few years are Feathers from Japan.

Nacet, 7'Oclock, Platinum, and looks like I have 3 Derby's left and a few others. What other brands would you suggest next time I order some shave stuff?

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Neillite 400.

10. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I re-read your question, and you are not asking about a daily razor. I enjoy the R41. It's reputation as a "beast" is overdone. For knocking down 3-4 days worth of stubble, the Henson will probably require 3 passes, while the R41 is very capable of getting it done in one or two.

Herm2502 and sidpost like this.
  11. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

Rockwell 6c

Henson... Probably the medium

12. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Thanks! It sounds like the Henson Medium is a good step up from my current razors. The R41 might be worth some further consideration but, it sounds like it might be a bit much for me and the learning curve right now. It also sounds like the Henson Medium could become a daily driver for me too! If that's the case, R41 might be a good option then too.

After a few days camping, I don't mind doing a 3 pass shave. With my current razors though, it typically takes a couple of days to get back to a reasonable 2-pass shave and my first one is 4 or 5 passes with multiple head cleanings. When I was younger (30~40) I could do a single-pass shave on a normal day and be BBS (baby butt smooth). That was then, this now ... :shaver

awk-m4 and ewk like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That very much depends on which blades you like best.

If you like Derby, I'd recommend Voskhod, 7 O'Clock Greens or some other similarly dull blade.

If you like Nacets, then I would recommend Feather, Bic CP, KAI, Perma Sharp, Personna Lab Blues, Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks or Wizamet Iridium Supers.

If you like something in between, I would recommend Astra Superior Platinums, Gillette Silver Blues or Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows.

All blades perform differently in different razors. I highly recommend building yourself a sample pack to choose from.

Edit: those are my recommendations, but other people feel differently about different blades.

Rayzor, brit and awk-m4 like this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I love the R41. It's not nearly as aggressive as many say. I'm using the R41 in my current 30 day focus. It does require a bit of attention to technique, but in the end it's a smooth, efficient razor. You can't go wrong.

Herm

ewk likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I never did chip in with my answer to this did I?

On the very rare occasions I have 3 days worth of stubble to shave, I usually reach for my Blackland Blackbird, Shake Sharp, or a GEM Micromatic.

All 3 razors are "one and done" one pass shavers.

sidpost and Enrico like this.
  16. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Derby are a long way away from a preferred blade unless I had a really late night! ;) The only thing Derby has going for it is the dirt cheap price for a 100 pack. If I ever get to the bottom of it, I won't intentionally order more! They never give me a really clean shave but, are forgiving if I am in a hurry since they don't generally give me weepers.

I tried Feather when I was really new to these razors and I bled a lot! :rolleyes: I should probably sample them again now that I have the clue light on!

You are right about the sampler pack. That would be a great idea before I buy another batch of blades as things seem to have changed some since the last time I was shopping for bulk packs of DE blades.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, try the Feather in your DE89 again. Use a light touch. If you get a great shave and a couple of weepers, you might need to drop down to one of the other blades I recommended with the Feathers. Except KAI. KAI are basically longer lasting Feathers. Both are made in Japan by different companies, and both seem to have made it their life's work to make the sharpest DE blades on the planet.

Edit: You can do two passes with a feather blade, even three, but try only shaving with the grain. I think you will be surprised by the results.

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

nacet are one of the most consistent upper shelf sharp blades.not feather sharp but not far off.good for three at minimum with no real drop off after the first shave.nice in a mild gillette razor.

Rayzor, Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

I like my Gillette Rocket and I don't know what a Henson would do more. If it's not TTO I'm not interested.

Enrico and brit like this.
  20. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

I would suggest the Overlander. A terrific razor with the best ATG pass Shave seen/experienced. Mine is Brass.

Rayzor and Enrico like this.