What is a "turkish" shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tommy_C, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Watch this youtube video... It looks like a really luxurious shave, but what it the world is the fire thing he sort of beats on the guy's face after he's done shaving!? (I'm not making that up, you have to watch!)

Turkish Shave Video

2. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I only saw what is a turkish at first.[​IMG]
    he is Turkish.

3. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Perhaps I don't understand the joke....isn't Jason Statham English?:confused:

Edit: Or is "Turk" a character he played in a movie? A Guy Ritchie film, perhaps? "Snatch", maybe?

Second Edit: His name in the movie was Turkish... It was a very funny movie. I only saw it once, but I need to see it again.

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I've seen a couple of Turkish shave videos. One, like the one you posted show the peach fuzz being singed off. The other video shows the barber taking a string and using it sort of like tweezers and plucking the fuzz off the customers face, like this guy also does.

I'm not sure why they're called Turkish shaves though.

5. burnWood

The film : Snatch
    The director: Guy Ritchie
    The star:

Jason Statham ... Turkish

not Turk. Turkish.

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Some of that looks very uncomfortable, think I'll pass.

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

They use fire to singe the missed whiskers down to the skin, and to "trim" ear and nose hair...

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

ugh :sick007 singed nose hair? I'd hate having to go around the rest of the day smelling that!

9. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

That was quite interesting. Looks the like really enjoyed having that string snapped on his face.

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah but then he puts on a nice AS balm and give him a massage. Then alum (or was that ice). I'd like to try that. I liked the string tweeze too. I might have to take a vacation in London just to try out all the different shaves. I wonder if there's a Japanese barber in London?

PS: Here's a YouTube vid of a guy doing a singe shave with a lighter! He has lots of growth. A couple of times his beard actually caught fire. And he kept going! The Turkish method look a lot safer. I bet the heat feels good on the skin too.

11. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Wow. Some people are really special. Wonder if he knows what a razor is...

12. minderasr

minderasr Member

Some people should NOT be allowed to procreate. Cull the herd!

13. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

What a polite way of putting it :D

14. burnWood

that idiot did get us all to watch him.