Travel razors? What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 16, 2023.

1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I see people looking for specific travel razors and I really wonder why? A two-piece handle may be slightly shorter but, we are really only talking about 1 inch or slightly more length saved when you factor in extra threads. I see nice little leather cases normally with these as well.

Why would a traditional handle and the head detached be a problem compared to something like a toothbrush or travel-size can or stick of deodorant? Surely a little leather case or something similar would be available as well as the travel versions I have seen if that was a thing for someone.

What am I missing traveling with a Fattip Piccolo and not some dedicated travel handle version?

TIA,
    Sid

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMHO it's just a gimmick to sell a razor. I've travelled with all my razors and they all traveled well. The short ones just make shaving more of a chore. Just make sure you travel with one you would be heart broken if it was lost, broken or stolen.

:)

Lockback, brit, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're not missing a thing. I wonder the same...how much space and weight are you really saving with a travel razor? Answer: millimeters and grams. Big deal.

My only requirement for a travel razor is one I won't miss if my luggage goes astray or TSA decides to confiscate it for some foolish reason.

brit, gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The so-called "travel" razors were a thing back when. Not so much today.

Even then, they weren't typically the razor you brought with you. They were the razor you purchased from your hotel, gas station, or cruise ship because you forgot yours at home.

There were some really nice travel razors made in the 1930's and 40's, but those were extremely compact, and were designed to tuck into your vest pocket. Some examples of those were the fold-a-brush Gillette sets, and the Bigalow & Parkins razor. Also the many varieties of German razors with two-piece handles.

brit, gorgo2, sidpost and 1 other person like this.
  5. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I'm pretty cautious with air travel and things I have a real attachment to. TSA, like any big organization, has good people and bad people in it.

I won't risk a razor of significant value, either currency or emotional attachment, to a random TSA confiscation for whatever whim of the day strikes the idiot on a power trip. TSA Agents have a lot of personal discretion to confiscate stuff for random reasons.

I had an expensive wrench confiscated once not because I could hit someone with it but because "I could disassemble the plane with it"! :rolleyes005:

I'm still waiting for the day the laces on my safety boots are confiscated because they could be used to strangle someone. And, I also use non-metallic 'steel toes' for this reason as well in addition to weight and thermal reasons. I still remember the day when the Military Veteran was being hassled about where the 'knife" was as they scanned his shrapnel injury and the steel plate in his head. :rolleyes005:

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Think short travel razors are odd? Consider the really nice vestpocket kits from over 100 years ago, intended (I guess) to be carried just in case. Like a handkerchief. It baffles me.

Edit...I see Plan already mentioned them.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

If all I had was a straight razor, then maybe a vest pocket or travel razor would make more sense. Today with modern Safety Razors and disposables, I just don't get it.

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    They were seen as the purview of the hobo and the traveling salesman. Neither of which exist today.

Edit: still, if you spot a B&P or Handy razor today for a good price, you ought to snag it. They are a little awkward to use, but are fantastic shavers.

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1673915674808.JPEG
    I once accidentally got a razor blade through TSA loaded in one of these.

JACarbone, sidpost and Enrico like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I usually travel with a vintage Star DE because of the nice carrying case it came with. Ir, sometimes a Schick injector because of the blade life. No special travel setup. Just a regular razor, brush and bowl.

Herm

11. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

That looks sort of "cute" but, awkward to use. If I found one at a flea market or some antique shop (which I don't visit), I could see taking it home for the right price though.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's not an everyday razor for sure. They are rare. Anything under $30 would be a good deal. They normally sell for $40 and up.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

a good cheap 60's tech is a great travel razor.no big deal if you lose it or it's taken.light and efficient.

wristwatchb and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I prefer the slightly milder 40's/early 50's techs. And they are better looking. ;)

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,i agree.all brass,no zamek.but have you seen the prices lately ..:D:eatdrink047:my favorite brit fb's don't leave the house..;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    There's always the Gillette Sterling 7 O'Clock razor.

brit likes this.
  17. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

You are missing...NOTHING!

18. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Really? How about one you like...but wouldn't be heartbroken etc if it was lost etc?

Enrico likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Some that I enjoy are Tech and Flares and are easily replaced if lost.

20. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

An EJ or Muhle "89" is pretty cheap and easily replaced. Amazon has an EJ89 for $25 right now FWIW.

An R41 can be had at a good price too but, isn't something I would want in an airport bathroom after a missed connecting flight.

Herm2502 and Enrico like this.