Re-Purposed HouseHold Items In Your Den...

Discussion in 'Inside The Den' started by huck1680, Jan 14, 2023.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Hey guys
    I am wondering what everyday or not so everyday items you have in your den that serve a purpose that they were never intended for. For me, it's gravy/cream boats that work beautifully for hard soaps and hav e the best built in brush rests ever. Also, I have found in places like Winners, small bowls that work for bowl lathering the cost like $4. It's fun.. What do you have or use?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't have anything as cool as a gravy boat, just coffee cups and chowder mugs used as lather bowls.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use one of these cups to soak my badger and boar shave brushes prior to use. Thanks to Ester in Whaletown, BC for making them. The size is perfect, and blue is my favorite color.

1.jpg

Hembree, GoodShave, Frijolero and 7 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

maybe not a household,but restaurant item.i use this old sugar packet holder to soak my bo ar/badger brushes before a shave.
    20230115_082316_edited.jpg
    Denny's maybe..had it for years..

5. brit

brit in a box

i use many odd bowls for lathering and cool ashtrays to hold soap pucks also.:)

Hembree, GoodShave, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I use those little glass spritz bottles they sell at target 2 for $3, for my aftershaves. They have clear ones and translucent brown ones

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have an old style steel medicine cabinet (no slot). On the sides are several magnetic fridge hooks to hold various implements, including toothbrush.

A friend found some useless old science lab PH test kits. The cases are black polystyrene the size of a kid's old rectangular lunchbox, only an inch or two deeper. One is now blade storage. Razors are standing in test tube racks from the same source, as are several glass lab bottles with glass stoppers.

Hembree, GoodShave, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gorgeous color.

Hembree, GoodShave, huck1680 and 3 others like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Always looking for items at thrift stores. Converted jewelry box for brushes, shelf units for cased sets, soaps, after shaves and other items..........
    20230115_152414.jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

that's grown considerably Jim..;):eatdrink047:

Hembree, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah it has. The black shelf on the bottom right has more stuff like after shaves, but my printer is in the way. Gillette display case is full of loose razors, but I broke the glass top by accident. When I'm near a glass shop I'll have another one made up. I need more room as I still have a couple boxes with more loose razors and stuff.

12. brit

brit in a box

Jim's Emporium.:D..very cool.

Frijolero, Hembree and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. huck1680

Here's another. Just got this at a local antiques store. A curio jar? Anyway, I thought perfect for shaving soap...so I cleaned it up and loaded it with Captains Choice Bay Rum soap and Henri et Victorias Cognac and Cigar soap...s/b interesting.
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg

Hembree, GoodShave, Frijolero and 9 others like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I believe you meant to say, " I liberated it from an oppressive working environment years ago.":D

Hembree, Frijolero, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Is that your cat in the reflection?

:)

16. brit

brit in a box

:D:eatdrink047:

Hembree and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Nice ideas all. Gravy boats never thought of that, will keep my eyes open in future.

This is all I can come up with...

list3a.jpg

Supposed to be a good mouthwash, (noticeably healthier mouth, 6 in 1 benefits, love that) sheesh, it sure cleaned up the oral cavity good, fair stripped the lining, couldn't taste for hours. Left my teeth intact so that's a bonus, maybe that's one of the benefits. Yuck! I couldn't bear to throw it away though.

I now have a 7th use: I use it to wash the basin out after I shave, does a great job of removing leftover lather etc, the basin is as good as new for tomorrow!

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy097:

Hembree, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

sparkling white porcelain;):eatdrink047:

Hembree, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. huck1680

Yes it is...good catch

Hembree, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.