Better source for sampler packs of DE blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 17, 2023.

1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

After Googling around a bit for sampler packs, I see stuff all over the place. Post-COVID and supply chain issues also probably have affected supplies, prices, and general availability.

I'm open to building my own sampler pack or buying one from a vendor somewhere. What are my better options in today's market?

Are there any good "retail" shops in East Texas or, would I need to go to Dallas, Texarkana, or Shreveport? I did find a shop online in Navasota but is too far to be practical. Amazon free shipping doesn't look too good for me with the options available there so, a retail shop somewhere might work out better for me. Most of my Googling ends up on barber shops so, it seems like a reference here is my best option.

TIA,
    Sid

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I could send you about 12 different blades to try if you'd like. Send me a PM and I'll get them out by week's end

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

And there you have it. Generous offer from @poppi. I can't help you with specific vendors that stock a sample pack, but what I did in the past was add a couple tucks of blades I had wanted to try to an order.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Online vendors with sampler packs include Maggard, IB, WCS, Amazon, .RazorBladesClub, and EBay.

Or just add a few tucks to an order.

Lockback and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Lockback likes this.
  6. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

AWESOME! Sincerely appreciated.

richgem and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

On a related thought, I see a lot of Russian blades being highly regarded. With all the Ukraine conflict "Western trade restriction" impacts towards Russia, I'm assuming Russian blades are becoming a thing of the past. Looking at the Razorbladeclub site, it appears some of them are made using "Swedish steel" so, that blade stock isn't going to be available either.

Are Russian razor blades being exported at this time? Or, are they becoming a thing of the past?

brit likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I honestly don't know if they are impacted by the sanctions. I ordered a bunch within hours of tanks rolling over the borders. All of the major blade suppliers bought huge stocks at the same time, I guess, probably for the same reason. Russian blades will be available for years at least. Maybe even a decade.

If they were not able to buy them, we would of probably heard about it by now.

brit, sidpost and jtspartan like this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Yes, you can buy 100 Nacets or 100 7 O'Clock Greens (both Russian Gillettes) at IB cheaper now then they've ever been. $9 for 100 Rapiras too. Weird, actually.

Lockback, brit and sidpost like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Blades are usually purchased in boxes. When you order pallet loads, you get a better price. Joe is probably passing on some of the savings.

brit and jtspartan like this.
  11. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

It could also be people, in general, moving towards non-Russian manufactured DE blades creating a glut at the suppliers thus, creating better prices at places like the Italian Barber since the savings are being passed on.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    True. I know some people on Facebook stopped using Russian blades. I like the blades too much to virtue signal like that, but I have noticed I've been using other blades an awful lot lately. Chance? Subconscious aversion? Who knows?

If we ever see Astra SP's start to climb past $10 and head towards $15 a carton on Amazon, we'll know they are starting to run out.

13. brit

brit in a box

:)

14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Try-a-blade

Herm

brit and Lockback like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

great source.:):eatdrink047:

16. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

I just ordered some Astra SP's to head off any price hikes. I am a bit surprised that almost a year into the Ukraine/Russia war, we're still able to get Russian blades and the prices don't seem too bad ...
    Yet.

sidpost and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_2023-01-26-20-03-30-18_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg
    You're right. The last two times I've bought them they were a little over $6...

But that's not typical.

Lockback likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

tryablade.com and west coast shaving are some other options.

brit likes this.
  19. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Thanks to @poppi, I feel like a won the lottery today!

Really good selection of blades I want to try too! Huge thanks to poppi! :happy093:

Lockback likes this.
  20. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Enjoy

sidpost likes this.