What are you waiting on to arrive...?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I paid a bit more than I normally would, but I never saw one before.

:)

jtspartan and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I got a great price for a dozen of these ........

s-l1600.png

:cool:

cliffb599, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Maybe. Bone usually has distinctive pores that I'm not seeing in the photo. Could be the resolution of the photo is too low for me to see them.

If I were a betting man, I would say it's either walrus tusk, hippo tooth, or elephant ivory. I would also date that brush to the 1800's at least, based on the style.
    Edit: It could possibly be whale bone, too.

Enrico, jimjo1031, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1674286320626.JPEG
    IMG_1674286320869.JPEG
    Mystery hone covered in oil. Any guesses before I get it and clean it?
    I posted it on another forum. The guesses there were Washita, Hindustan, or Queer Creek. I was hoping for a Thuringen when I bought it, but I don't think it is now. It's 8" x 2" x 1", which puts it firmly in the typical vintage American sandstone based bench stone size, and those range from very good bevel setters (Lily White Washita) to fast and rough chisel and plane sharpeners (Queer Creek). One end has been sanded down by the seller, presumably in an effort to identify it. It was sold as a "natural quarry smooth honing stone."

Edit: here's the listing if anyone wants to take a closer look at the pictures.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1448995683...g2uzL9WTHO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

jimjo1031, cliffb599, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I saw this Cooper Monobilt and made a reasonable offer that was accepted.

1CooperMonobilt1.png

It's has potential ..... if I like it I can get re-plated if not I'll sell it off.

brit, Primotenore, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

they're very nice shavers

brit and Enrico like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you, I hope so.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I offered him $20. He didn't accept. They use a pretty hard brass in those. Be very careful if you try to straighten out the bent tooth.

They are very nice and smooth shavers. If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands.

brit, cliffb599, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    One of my favorite razors, Keith.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Since he had free shipping, I offered him $28. BTW I thought you already had two ..... or did you get rid of them and have sellers remorse?

Sounds great ....... I've already contacted Back Roads Gold about re-plating.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I had two. I sold one to a member here that couldn't find one. I tried slanting the other, which in hindsight was stupid of me. Basically wrecked the razor.

Frijolero, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1674342878684.JPEG
    The mystery hone ended up being a Dalmore Blue.

Frijolero, brit, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG]

:angry017:

Frijolero, cliffb599 and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG]

about honing stones, Is this stone something you desired?

:eatdrink047:

Frijolero, PLANofMAN and cliffb599 like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No. I was hoping for a Thuringian.

It's not a bad stone, per se, it's just not a razor finishing stone. It's comparable to a Belgian Blue Whetstone, which I already have. Too soft for finishing a razor's edge, and too hard for fast bevel setting.

It's an intermediate razor stone. Used post beveling, but right before a finishing stone. It doesn't fill in any gaps in my hones.

It will be a good stone for sharpening Japanese knives, and giving them a polished but toothy edge.

If a person wanted a full set of Scottish mined stones to hone razors on, a Dalmore Yellow would be the bevel setter, the Blue would be a slower bevel setter or intermediate, paired with a Tam o' Shanter as an intermediate, and a Water of Ayr as a finisher.

*Checks pockets* hmm...seems I don't have fifteen hundred dollars to add those last two rare stones to my collection.

[Edit: it's about $150 for the Tam o' Shanter and around $300-500 for the Water of Ayr, at current eBay prices]

I paid about $32 for it, and ones that size go for about $40-50 on the low end, and closer to $100 on the high end, so it's not a bad deal, just not a steal. It could have been a much worse stone.

This would have been the original label that would have come with the stone:
    IMG_20230121_193219.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Frijolero, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  16. jimjo1031

After seeing a bottle of Avon Captain's Choice on Ebay cheap, I found out it wasn't "used" like the seller posted, but empty. Thanks to @John Beeman, he steered me to Etsy and I found the listing for a full bottle (8oz) at a good price. It's one scent I don't have, so I bought it, I also like the bottle...........
    il_680x540.4435416005_8iv0.jpg

brit, cliffb599, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great stuff!

Frijolero and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Just what I do NOT need...;)
    [​IMG]

Frijolero, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Not shave Related.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaro, Enrico, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  20. jimjo1031

nice..............

Enrico and cliffb599 like this.