British Vintage Gillettes: What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Feb 14, 2023.

1. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Yes, I've had my eye on the Sentinel for awhile. I've bought other Yaqi razors in Zamak, and from DSCosmetics in SS, and have been happy.

Now the Sentinel is supposed to be a Wolfman clone, which in turn are supposed to be inspired by Techs. I've seen that progression picture starting with the Baili tech clone leading up to the first Wolfman. It becomes like a game of telephone, though, so not sure how far all these deviate from the original.

I have an RR Aluminum Lupo, too, which I like a lot. Supposedly a clone of WR1, while sentinel is WR2.

Regarding the British Hybrid Tech, my understanding is that it is a Hybrid of a U.S. New SC and a U.S. Tech, correct? So basically a New SC but with a guard bar. I have one, so perhaps that's very close to a Hybrid.

I also have a Yaqi Telstar in zamak, for what it's worth. Supposed to be a Lupo .95 clone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  2. brit

brit in a box

to those interested,the brit tech hybrid was the last harrah for the brit new rfb series razor.war had ended and no new razor models being produced yet,produced around 1947? it was Britain's first safety bar gillette (excluding bakelite) razor,with the flat bottom tech coming shortly after.
    [​IMG]
    they will generally run you you $200-350 for a nice clean set.
    a new rfb is very close,or a brit flat bottom tech with an early new rfb top cap also will replicate the shave.

jtspartan, PLANofMAN and ShaversRUs like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

and ,the brit tech hybrid is the last version of this razor..:):eatdrink047:
    [​IMG]

jtspartan, PLANofMAN and ShaversRUs like this.
  4. ShaversRUs

Thanks. So the British New RFB is different than the U.S. New Short Comb? They look pretty much the same to my untrained eye.
    :)

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

yes.:)

6. brit

brit in a box

#1 and 2 are new short comb,3 is new long comb,4 is new deluxe,5 is new RFB and 6 is new fb,
    20210622_115816_edited.jpg

new sc left,lc right.
    20210622_113904_edited.jpg

#3 new sc,#4 new rfb.
    20221121_114736_edited.jpg

jtspartan, ShaversRUs and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

In addition to the rhodium plated razor set as shown, there was a nickel plated razor version that was sold in a bakelite case as s #77 set likely at a lower price. The later was much less common though, although evidently available.

8. ShaversRUs

Thanks.

I think I get it now. The U.S. New SC has the raised part on the top side of the base-plate, but the bottom is not flat. I assume the top side of the U.S. baseplate is not exactly the same as that of the British version, making the geometry different, and thus the shave. Right?

So in general, "raised" refers to the top side of the baseplate, not the bottom.
    "Flat bottom" is self-explanatory.

British:
    -----------
    So you have RFB, and FB. This only pertains to British made. If it indicates "New", it is obviously open-comb, else it's a Tech with a solid guard bar. The top side of the baseplate is not always raised.

U.S.
    ------
    There are no RFBs or FBs for U.S., for either a Tech or New.
    But All U.S. News have a raised top on the baseplate (but aren't refered to as "raised"), including any with an additional descriptor such as "Improved", "Deluxe", or "Standard", although they are technically not a "New" since they came before the "New." These usually have flat bottoms, though.

I think I need to make an Excel table with all of these to get it straight in my mind. I'll go through Mr. Razors site for all of them, plus the info on the pics above.

I just need to get it straight in my mind what all the descriptors are and what they mean visually.

Something like:

England
    Tech (solid guard)
    RFB
    FB
    Hybrid​
    OC (New)
    RFB
    FB​
    U.S.
    Tech
    Pre-War
    Post-War
    Zamak era​
    New Improved
    New Standard
    New Deluxe
    New
    SC
    LC​

brit and jtspartan like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    ...and you get pretty much the same baseplate as the "special" British techs, with these guys (American aristocrat shown for reference)...
    IMG_1676609427534.JPEG

ShaversRUs, brit and jtspartan like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

the brit reference "rfb" is a collectors term for the extra material on the bottom of the baseplate.it was added onto the u.s design baseplate to accommodate the handle being permanently attached,like on an earlier single ring type gillette.3 piece versions were made also.england had New LC razors before these "rfb" models came out.
    [​IMG]

brit.new LC.[​IMG]

ShaversRUs likes this.
  11. ShaversRUs

Thanks.

So "raised" is only meant to refer to the bottom portion of the baseplate.
    So it can be "flat", but not necessarily "raised."
    RFB and FB refer ONLY to English made razors.
    U.S. razors that have a flat bottom and/or a raised flat bottom are never refered to as "FB" or "RFB".

I think I got it.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  12. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

There are no US made NEW "FB" or "RFB"

PLANofMAN, ShaversRUs and brit like this.
  13. ShaversRUs

OK, but then what did @brit mean?

Only for an Old type, but not New?

Do you mean not only are U.S. News never referred to as FB or RFB, there were never any that had a flat bottom? Even for New <something else>.

I need to start making my chart/table.
    :)

Since I now understand what "flat bottom" and "raised flat bottom" means, I am better equipped to go thru Mr. Razor's pics.

Thanks

brit likes this.
  14. ShaversRUs

Not Flat:
    Not Flat.jpg

Flat:
    Flat2.jpg

Is this considered Flat?
    Flat.jpg

Raised and Flat:

Raised and Flat.jpg

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i know what you are meaning.the new deluxe had a flat botttom,but wasn't really nicknamed that.fb and rfb are mainly british terms,again by collectors for easier reference when identifying them.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  16. ShaversRUs

Thanks.

I see people using acronyms like EFB, ERFB (E for English I suppose), ERFBT, and EFBT (T for Tech I assume), and HT (Hybrid Tech). Just trying to keep it straight in my head.

I think I will keep an eye out for an English/British (Non-raised) Flat Bottom Tech. They are supposed to be more reasonably priced while being an upgrade from a U.S. Tech, both pre and post war. My head is not ready to understand all the British TTOs yet. :)

brit likes this.
  17. ShaversRUs

How do I determine whether a New RFB has an "early" or "late" cap, asuming there are only 2, lol.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

look for a crease down the center pin line on the bottom of cap.if an fb tech,new rfb or tech hybrid have a cap without a crease its an early cap.same/similar cap as a u.s pre war tech with triangular lather slots.
    20210205_133133_edited.jpg

early non creased cap

[​IMG]

ShaversRUs likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool.brit tto's are pretty simple also,flat plate until '50 basically,don't let all the #'s confuse you.;):eatdrink047:

ShaversRUs and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. ShaversRUs

Thanks. I have a U.S. pre-war. So that cap would suffice?

There are not that many British Gillettes listed on the bay other than spiral Techs-- at least not from U.S. sellers. I'm talking about listings where "England" or "British" is included in the listing somewhere. Hence their rarity. There are probably some hidden ones, but there are over 7,500 Gillettes listed in collectibles/safety razors.

Sellers seem to think spiral Techs are made of 24k gold, lol.

Some people list England in the title when the pic clearly shows U.S., lol.

I will continue to keep my eye out.

Pow0622 and brit like this.