British Vintage Gillettes: What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Feb 14, 2023.

1. brit

brit in a box

yes ,if it doesn't have a crease.you can buy direct at ebay uk.ask sellers for shipping amount .most will ship to u.s.more realistic prices for brit techs there.for most at least.:)

ShaversRUs likes this.
  2. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Thanks; that's good to know.

So all pre-wars are not crease-less? lol. I need to dig mine out to check. I never paid attention to that before.

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

for the most part they are,unless they are a mismatch.i never assume.i have had a mint post war gold tech set with a creaseless cap,1946 ish,was too nice to be messed with..

ShaversRUs likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This covers most the official 3pc tech razors sans the pre war Canadian Tech variants, post war US Techs and some of bakelite ones made for the US Military during WWII. I have to correct one piece of info though, the British 3pc razors with a safety guard were not called Techs until they adopted the same design as the US versions with the diamond indent stamped base plated.

Techvariations1.jpg

Not one mention of them being Tech razors this ad from 1947 also shows the "hybrid" tech.
    gillette.jpg

brit, PLANofMAN and ShaversRUs like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You also had oddballs that were made for foreign markets like this one which is from the 60s and was sold in India.
    gti2.jpg

You also had earlier style post war techs being made with open combs. This particular one is a rariety since it is made in France but they also produced these in England for the French made market in the early 50s.

oct2.jpg

$P1060284.jpg $P1060287.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Stefano73 and ShaversRUs like this.
  6. ShaversRUs

Re: Feather AS-D2
    Hmmm...I think I will keep my eyes peeled for a second-hand Feather AS-D2 as well.

brit likes this.
  7. ShaversRUs

My pre-war Tech's top cap does not have a crease! Hooray! I'm halfway there.

8. ShaversRUs

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It would largely depend on the set it was sold in to the exact 'name' of the razor. First is it made out of aluminum or brass. Aluminum it was sold in a No52a Anniversary set. Brass either a No54 Rocket set or No59 set.

With that said the razor shaved the same regardless of what case it was packaged in.

ShaversRUs and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Someone got a heck of a deal.
    That is a HD 500. It's the "Heavy Duty" rocket, and one of the heavier Gillette razors.

Edit: I suppose it could be a "paperclip" model, but it doesn't look like aluminum.

ShaversRUs, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  11. ShaversRUs

A British Aristocrat #66 sold for just over 200 clams today. I can't see myself paying that kind of money.

I did get a nice new Feather AS-D2 in the mail today. No original packaging. It does look unused as advertised. Got a great deal, though.
    That will probably quell my thirst to get any more razors for a while.
    :)

I'm still interested in learning more about the British Gillettes, though.

brit likes this.
  12. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

That is the brass version of the rocket as you can clearly see the nickel tarnish.
    It is the conditions of the rockets that dictate the price, can go as low as 30 bananas...

ShaversRUs and brit like this.
  13. ShaversRUs

Someone on a certain auction site is trying to sell a Van Der Weishi as a British Gillette Rocket!
    He's hoping Barnum was right I suppose.
    :signs136:

14. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

They are even better if you install a couple shims

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

15. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Many folks try to sell lots of things, as NOS, L@@K, RARE, Unobtainable items.
    Be careful what you get offered!

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

18. ShaversRUs

Yes, and a lot of people put "Gillette" in the title for non-Gillette razors, with the excuse/justification in the description that it takes Gillette blades or is compatible with Gillette.

brit likes this.