Undated Aristocrat with Plating Issues - Polish or Leave Alone?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AcreLot, Feb 24, 2023.

1. AcreLot

AcreLot Member

I purchased a no-date-code Aristocrat in an auction knowing that it had some green pitting issues on one of the doors and the center bar--the price was right and it seemed like it would be a good shaver. (It is: After a thorough cleaning, I used it for a couple days and found it a nice switch up from my 1967 Super Speed daily driver.)

I realize the green indicates both the gold and nickel have worn through, so no fixing that. What I'm wondering is if I should just polish the pitting off the bad door and bar to make a smoother shaving surface--knowing that I'll remove even more gold in the process--or if I should leave it alone. Would getting as much green as possible off help prevent future pitting?

Attached Files:

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I doubt you purchased this as a retirement fund.
    Polish it up and use it!

gorgo2 and AcreLot like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depending what you paid for it I'd comsider having it replated. As long as you have the certs from the plater you can usually resell it for the going rate plus about what the replating cost to have done. Back Roads Gold is a good candidate. They do good work and the prices are reasonable.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The pitting the best you can do is polish it smooth and that will most likely remove more gold plate also once it the brass rot starts you can remove it by cleaning but it will keep coming back. Like I said above replate is the best solution if you want to throw some more money into the razor.

AcreLot likes this.
  5. AcreLot

AcreLot Member

Thanks re: Back Roads Gold. I've been contemplating them for a couple razors and am glad to get another positive recommendation!

Old_Spice likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I've used them before and never had any issues with the work. I can't speak for the others since I've haven't done business with them.

Old_Spice and AcreLot like this.
  7. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I recently sent in an Aristocrat and had Chris do his mirror nickel finish on it. Not only does the work look amazing but he had it turned and back to me in a week. Can definitely recommend.

[​IMG]

Old_Spice, Lockback, ChrisB and 3 others like this.
  8. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

That is a beauty!
    I've read that re-plating can sometimes affect the shave. Is that true or hogwash?
    Thanks

LaneP and Pow0622 like this.
  9. swarden43

My face isn't sensitive enough to notice a couple of millimeters of extra thickness added by plating.
    That's okay. I can't notice the dozen or so flavor notes in a cup of coffee or glass of wine, either :p

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Technically it could depending how thick the original plating vs the new plating also on moving parts if they don't disassemble and fully strip the razor down to bare metal it can possibly affect how things like TTO butterfly doors close. With that said unless it affects something like a butterfly door closing right I'd say it is hogwash.

Herm2502, ChrisB and ShaversRUs like this.
  11. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Thanks. I kinda figured as much.

12. Pow0622

Pow0622 Member

Personally I'd use it and enjoy aslong as the shave wasnt effected. The beauty of the hobbie is that u can make it look like new if or whenever u chose. For the cost of replating u may be able to find a 2nd one in great shape and keep this one for your user.

Herm2502, ShaversRUs, ChrisB and 2 others like this.
  13. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

That's a great question. I couldn't detect any change in the shave characteristics of my Aristocrat. But now that I think about it, I suppose it's possible in some cases that a user may notice a difference in glide characteristics depending on the plate metal chosen. Between gold and nickel though, I can't tell any difference.

ShaversRUs, Pow0622 and ChrisB like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is hogwash also unless you dry shave. Lubrication reduces friction as long as the metal surface is fairly smooth.

LaneP, ShaversRUs and Pow0622 like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Microns, not millimeters. Plating is measured in angstroms or microns.

The polishing done prior to re-plating will affect the shave more than the plating job.

brit likes this.
  16. swarden43

I stand corrected.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I was under the impression the Gillette always plated an assembled razor, not individual parts. Or am I just crazy?

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Dom't know

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From the marks left on old razors, I would say that up until the 1940's, TTO razors were plated and lacquered fully assembled. Beyond that I don't know.

Herm2502 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Probably just me but I like that deep orange tone of aged lacquer on a gold razor...but was a varnish ever applied to nickel, or did they skip it bc its so much tougher?

Herm2502 likes this.