Birth year razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ben Keller, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

I hear t of people go after birth year razor s. My question is was their any good razors made in my birth year?? 1981??

2. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

This is the biggest nonsense that exist in the traditional shaving world.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

It's just a matter of fun. I have 4 1957 razors.

That being said I believe you could find a Gillette Black Beauty 109 for 1981.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have the Schick Injector adjustables which are good if you like those style of razors.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

There’s not really a bad year for DE razors. I have one birth year razor. Did not intentionally look for it , just ran across it. If you like birth year razors go for it.

Ben Keller and wristwatchb like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have some birth year/birth quarter razors. Purchased 'em for fun and I'm glad that I did. I'm not actively looking for more, but if tripped across another one, I'd probably snag it.

Looks like you have some options...

Gillette Razor Date Codes.png

GatorJoe, Lockback, Ron R and 3 others like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm a firm believer in playing with numbers ........ if you take your current age and subtract it from your birth year you could pick up a nice 1939 British open comb Popular #47

[​IMG]

;)

8. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

This is why we all have so many razors. ;)

brit, Enrico and swarden43 like this.
  9. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I have a birth quarter Gillette Tech that I got by accident -- it was in a lot that I bought because it included another razor I was after! I had no idea what the date codes were since they weren't listed.

To the OP: try to find a black-handled Gillette Superspeed from 1981. Great razor! Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

wristwatchb and Herm2502 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also collected birth year/quarter razors. I have all three (C4) Flair Tips (regular, blue and red tips) in cased sets and a Tech in cardboard box.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Actually, the biggest nonsense that exist in the traditional shaving world is the belief that blade chatter is a thing.*

Why so hard on the guy? :rolleyes005: People collect what they want to collect. Who are you to say?

*It's either that, or the Veg smells good. :p

Enrico and Primotenore like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

13. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Actually, I will have to take it back.
    You are right, could be the chatter, could be the Veg...
    Lots of folklore going on.

Herm2502 likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Shave with a razor where the head is loose enough that the blade is not secure, if you still believe blade chatter is not a thing then I don't know what to tell you.

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as 81 birthyear razors, besides the Gillette DE razors you also have Schick Type L and M adjustable injectors and though not fully confirmed but most likely still being sold at a minimum are the Gem Contour II SE razors. You'd have to know which handle types on those are the later model ones.

Herm2502 likes this.
  16. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

So what I am hearing is that I should be looking for a Gillette black handle super speed?? B1 for 1981?? Where is a good place to look for one??

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Any black handle Super Speed or adjustable B1 - B4 for 1981. B = 1981, 1/2/3/4 = what quarter of the year it was made. 1 = Jan - Mar, 2 = Apr - Jun, 3 = July - Sept, 4 = Oct - Dec.

Primotenore and Herm2502 like this.
  18. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Why?
    What's wrong with wanting to own a razor from the year you were born?
    I'm looking for a 1953 Gillette, by the way ...:D

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Given that, yes. I've heard that Gillette recommended that for a wider blade gap.
    I've also heard people claim that a blade will chatter even when all is snug up tight. That's what I won't buy.

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Snug up tight for most razors yes I agree it shouldn't chatter for about 99% of the razors out there. With that said there is almost always an exception and in this case those are Wardonia razors because of the way they clamp blades.