Parker TTOs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Feb 14, 2023.

1. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I think many who claim to have sensitive skin really only suffer from poor technique.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  3. ShaversRUs

The 3 Ls of Real Estate:

Location, Location, Location

The 3 Ts of wetshaving:

Technique, Technique, Technique

4. ShaversRUs

Well, I've had 2 shaves with the 99r again. Much better than from a year ago. I actually like it now, but I still consider it aggressive.

I accomplished in 2 passes, WTG and XTG, what usually takes me 3. Barely needed any touch-ups, too.

I treated it with respect, and shaved carefully. I was ready for it this time. Perhaps last year, I wasn't, even though I had plenty of experience under my belt, but with milder razors. I also use a much more saturated lather now then I did a year ago. That helps, too.

5. ShaversRUs

Forgot to mention: I used a Gillette Platinum (aka Swede, light blue package, white lettering, not the one from Gillette Heritage) on its 4th and 5th shaves.
    Don't remember what I used with it last year. Could have been the same, or could have been Rapira, or Astra SP.

6. ShaversRUs

These are supposed to have a brass "frame". I have read that means that the entire razor is brass, and I have read that only the handle is brass. Has there ever been proof either way?

I also saw an ebay listing where the seller says his Parker TTO is "from back when Parker was making them with brass." Their website still says brass "frame."

Thanks

7. ShaversRUs

Yes, I like it now. I did about 3 or 4 shaves with it a few weeks ago. Since I have so many razors, I've set it aside for now.
    I tend to do that -- I begin to like a razor them move on to one I haven't tried yet, or one that gave me trouble in the past, lol.
    Maybe someday I'll settle on a rotation and maybe even sell some razors!

8. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I have a Parker Variant and a Parker Semi-Slant. The semi-slant is comparable to the Merkur 37, but the slant is less than on the Merkur, hence the name semi-slant. Still, I have found it to me on the upper end of the medium range, lower end of aggressive range. I recommend a forgiving blade such as Astra Superior Platinum or Tiger Platinum. You'll want to use a really slick shave soap and be sure not to apply pressure, as even the slightly less-slanted angle on the Parker acts much like a guillotine blade (meaning greater slicing power).

I've not had the opportunity yet to try the TTO Parker razors. I'd been considering a 96R or 99R, but alas, I'm between jobs and have no money.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  9. ShaversRUs

I have a Parker semi-slant. I tried it about a year ago -- I found it a bit aggressive and set it aside. I hope to try it again soon.

I was tempted to get a Variant, but since I have a Progress, from the reviews I've seen it is pretty much the same shave. I don't have an issue with the Progress handle, neither grip-wise nor the yellow adjustment knob.

Michael_W likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

"All Parker TTO razors use the same head design (with minor changes in TTO hardware depending on the type of handle used)......... Differences in shave-feel between Parker TTO models will come from variations in weight, balance, and grip, depending on the handle." Makes sense...........
    https://sharpologist.com/a-popular-razor-parker-99r/

11. StewB

StewB Member

The Variant is a very nice tool IMO. I recently obtained one and I'm a fan.

Lockback likes this.
  12. ShaversRUs

Is it any different or better than the Progress? A youtuber from the U.K. (can't remember name) who gives fair reviews said if you have one it is not worth getting the other. He did a side-by-side comp shave.

Michael_W likes this.
  13. Michael_W

Strictly in terms of performance, not enough to really notice. The real differences are in the knurling and the lack of alignment issues that used to plague the Progress. I actually have both razors and I use them interchangeably.

StewB and ShaversRUs like this.
  14. ShaversRUs

I thought they would have fixed any alignment issues with the Progress way back in the 50s!:bounce015:

I noticed no issues on mine, which I bought new 2 years ago.

Michael_W likes this.
  15. Michael_W

Like I said, USED to have alignment issues, though I'm told the plastic knob remains a pain in the rear end for a lot of users.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  16. StewB

StewB Member

For those who have used both, the comments I have heard is that shave-wise both razors are very similar. The main differences are that the Progress comes in two handle lengths with a plastic adjustment knob and smooth handle, whereas the Variant only comes in one length with a metal adjustment knob and knurling on the handle.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The alignment issue plagued ones made pre 2016. I can't say exactly how far back that was an issue from but the ones I was aware of including the one I originally owned that had the problem would have been at least as far back as early to mid 2000s. They could be manually recalibrated though to get the dot to line up correctly.

18. ShaversRUs

The 50s was a long time ago...:D

Not sure why the pastic knob is a PIA for some -- you may not like the color, shape or material, but other than that, there is no issue that I have seen that would elevate it to PIA territory.:pri:

Michael_W likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There was/is a whole cottage industry of metal replacement knobs for the Progress like the Mergress for example.

Michael_W and ShaversRUs like this.
  20. ShaversRUs

Yes, and I have never understood that. Not sure why Merkur doesn't just make an all-brass or all-stainless steel Progress. They would clean up.

Michael_W likes this.