DS Cosmetic AX: Yet another Wolfman knockoff/clone/copy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Since we are talking about the Sentinel head check out this stainless steel handle I picked up a while back from Homelike Shaving out of Russia.
    20230317_193212.jpg 20230317_193223.jpg
    This is a $25.00 handle. The polish is flawless and it looks identical to a Wolfman handle. They also have it in brass and titanium.

I'm going pair this handle with my Sentinel head.

ShaversRUs and Ron R like this.
  2. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I first heard about the Bohin only after I heard about the Yaqi version. I guess on sale, the Yaqi would be a decent deal though frankly I don't know much about the Bohin.
    What is good about a Bohin? Is it desirable because it is rare or because it shaves better than a lot of other vintage razors?

Hembree likes this.
  3. ShaversRUs

Aha! I was just looking for that handle on Ali today, since it was pictured with a Sentinel head by a reviewer on Ali. I was puzzled why I couldn't find it.
    Sounds like it is unobtanium now due to its country of origin.

It's weird, every time I see a really nice handle, it turns out to only be available with a super-high-end razor, or is no longer manufactured. Case-in-point: the original Razorock barber pole, which copies the British Gillette Aristocrat. The only other razor I see it on still available is the Parker 87R, but that is a TTO, and I already have a 99R. I'm not sure why I picked the 99R over the 87R last year, but so be it.

Hembree likes this.
  4. Hembree

With me it is the unusual factor. I've never shaved with a Bohin and probably never will so I cannot comment on its shave.

The reviews I've seen on YouTube have been favorable about the shave of the Bohemian.

Kevin Shaves even commented that it was ugly. :D

ShaversRUs likes this.
  5. Hembree

I wish I could order from Homelike again....maybe in future but the sanctions have it shut down on our end. :(

I have placed several orders from them in the past and I have been pleased with them.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  6. Hembree

Good point!

ShaversRUs likes this.
  7. Hembree

I can relate......I think I have a problem. :D

ShaversRUs likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have read some reviews on it already and most fellows seem to really enjoy it, it is not in the aggressive range but seems to be in the mild to tame mid range depending on the what side of the head base plate is in use. It is a early adjustable razor for it time and had to compete with the famous Gibbs adjustable that was very desirable with the different settings to easily set.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    ShaversRUs and Hembree like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I like tapered handles for some reason also, it comes from using the Gem JR 1912 baton handle that is tapered. they feel good in hand and very grippy on the ATG seems to be where the taper works the best. I have the Yaqi Tear drop handle and it reminds me of a cannon on the old ships (it is slightly bottom heavy because it's made of stainless steel. Yaqi could of hollow it a little but it is still very nice in the hand for myself. I bought some of the polished handles on sale when they where just starting to introduce them and really enjoy the Yaqi Chippendale Darwin looking handle that takes a few uses to really get the right feel. This handle is a joy to hold and use from my normal round handles.
    I make a small modified washers out of 10/32 round electrical fittings for years and just remove a little on one side by honing stone or file to get the Chippendale handle perpendicular to the head with a blade shim in it is how I like the hand feel. The washers are made of copper and coated with Aluminum and you will have no issues with scratching the polished surface, the nylon washers are OK but are not as good as these IMO. Anything that is square and tapered has to be positioned the way the user wants it to really enjoy it a lot more IMO.
    (Below is the Yaqi Chippendale Darwin looking handle.)
    SOTD March 4 2023 .jpg
    (Below is the Yaqi Teardrop handle)
    SOTD March 17 2023 .jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Hembree and ShaversRUs like this.
  10. ShaversRUs

So out of the box the Chippendale handle doesn't fit perpendicular to the head? How does it fit?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    Hembree likes this.
  11. ShaversRUs

The Zephyr is just a head, so what makes it adjustable?

Hembree likes this.
  12. ShaversRUs

Kevy? He has some annoying verbal tics that drive me crazy, though.

Hembree likes this.
  13. ShaversRUs

Actually, Yaqi has a handle that is very similar to the WRH7, in both brass ($15) and stainless steel ($20). They come with heads, but at those prices it is still a bargain. To me, though, the slight difference from the WRH7 are enough for me to not really like it that much.

The DS Cosmetics Destroyer handle might be a better (though costlier) option.

Yaqi is having an anniversary sale in a day and a half, and the Sentinel head will be around $35. I realized that they have it in 2 gaps, but they are not "color" options -- they are separate listings. I'm still curious what the difference is between the Sentinel and the DS Cosmetics one (which has 3 different gaps, though 2 are sold out right now).

Hembree likes this.
  14. ShaversRUs

Hembree likes this.
  15. ShaversRUs

Youtube reviews aren't time-effective, either. Most are 20 - 30 minutes -- way too long. I don't need to see the person shave -- yet again. I can spend 2 - 5 minutes reading a review vs 20 - 30. When I do watch, I keep skipping through it. Many don't even start shaving until after 10 minutes of BS. Plus, it becomes a review of shaving creams, soaps, pre-shave oil, after-shave, blades etc. "And don't forget to click on my links below to buy these great products! And click on subscribe." Puh-leeeeeease!

Hembree likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

We were talking about the Yaqi Bohemian razor not the Zephyr head. The Bohemian head has 2 aggression settings.

17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You never know until you have a blade loaded and it is tightened will you discover how perpendicular it is, the way to correct this is with a washer that will orient the handle where you enjoy using it if it is a concern by the operator . The washer also protects the surfaces when tightened so not to mare the polished surfaces. This is why it is rare to find a square or even hexagon handles because of accumulation of tolerances that change from any manufacturing processes.
    A round handle is ideal for manufacturing because less input costs to correctly position it, but like mentioned already it can be easily corrected with a fitted washer IMO.

18. ShaversRUs

...in a thread about the DS Cosmetic Wolfman knockoff...
    :rofl:
    :transport016:
    No worries -- I'm guilty of that too....

Hembree and Ron R like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

We do get carried away sometimes on conversation. The DS Cosmetic razor is so new it will take a while until someone buys one & posts. This thread might be long forgotten by then!:happy102:

20. Hembree

If I understand correctly you are indexing the flats on the handle with the safety bar.

I understand that perpendicular is 90 degrees between the center of the handle and the head.

Ron R and ShaversRUs like this.