Open-comb razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rufus, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Rufus

Rufus New Member

I tried an open-comb razor (of unknown manufacture) for the first time today and what a surprise: I never used a razor as aggressive as this. Although I had only one very small knick it felt as though I was taking a very thin layer of skin off my face, but no razor burn. I usually use either a Merkur 38C or a Edwin Jagger DE Chatsworth, which has a Merkur HD head, and find I get excellent shaves with each. For the last while I've been using Derby blades and used one in the open-comb along with Frasers' cream. I guess my technique hasn't developed yet to the stage where I can use an open-comb with impunity; tried modifying the angle and watching the pressure, but it didn't help. Any suggestions on how I might change things in the future? As of now I'l be putting the open-comb at the back of the cabinet for another go some time in the future, absent any sound advice.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'll let you know after I get mine. It should be arriving early next week. I'll start it with a IP Blade and see how it goes.

3. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Rich, took a look at your shaving locker. What can I say...I'm flabbergasted. Where will you be able to put your new open-comb?

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

A very very good question and quite frankly, I haven't got a clue. That picture shows the locker a bit messy and right now, it's a little fuller and neater. The badger is hidden underneath waiting to pounce. :D I'm going to go in there with a tape measure and design some cheap custom shelves and racks to hold everything. If I ever leave the company, I can just slide it out. I wish I was good with finished woodworking to make it pretty but functionality is what I'm going to have to settle for. It's that or box up a bunch of stuff and take it home.

5. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Rich, I've reviewed your inventory of everything shaving-related. You've got an acute case of Everything Shaving AD. There ain't no locker big enough for your stuff, you need a small quantas hut or good sized shed at the very least. Are you holding this stuff offsite so SWMBO won't know? If Gilroy is the Garlic Capital, then you are the King of Shaving ADs. I'm gobsmacked!

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

On no, the big guns have not posted their stashes yet, I am just a humble collector of well, like you said, everything. Stage two is when I start ranking everything and weeding. The SWMBO knows about this stuff. Trust me. Many a comment has been made with the appropriate rejoinder about her "horse habits" and inventory thievery. :D Since I shower and shave 5/7 days a week at work, it was only appropriate to keep most of my stuff in the locker with some being stored in my Armoire at home and on a shelf in the garage. I haven't added the count of duplicates. I know when I do that, I will have some PMs coming my way. Speaking of the Garlic Capital, the festival is coming up quick. They've added garlic fries to Gourmet Alley. I need to rev up my appetite.

7. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I love my open combs, but I tend to dial back on which blade I use in it because they are a lot more aggressive. I like Feathers in my HD or Gillette Fat Boy, for example, but I would never put anything much sharper than an Israeli in my 191? Gillette Open Comb. The Israeli in that one gives me a superb shave, and I don't feel any need to test my machoness by putting in something stronger.

The "New" design for open combs is less aggressive, and I am going to dial up a Swede or Feather in my Gillette New once I get off my 30's Shick injector love affair. I am curious to see how the sharper blade will work with the "New" design.

8. Rufus

Rufus New Member

David, I used a Derby in the open-comb this morning. I don't regard Derbys as sharp blades; IMO they're about on a par with Merkurs for sharpness. So I don't think I can step down on the sharpness scale. My technique must be sadly inadequate.

9. paydepst

paydepst Member

Rufus, I read your post with interest above and I can't help but wonder what brand of razor that is. Undoubtedly it is the head design that is causing the problem. In contrast to Smedley, my experience with several of the NEW type Gillettes is that the blade sits proud of the head and they tend towards the aggressive. Pair one of those with a Feather and step before your mirror with anything less than perfect technique and you'll end up looking like an extra in a Romero zombie movie. I have one OLD type moon tip that is also VERY aggressive when paired with a Feather. I wouldn't let this put you off of the open combs though as I tend to prefer them to the closed bars since they leave a bit of the cream behind when you make a pass with the blade. I'm also partial to the look of the comb.
    If the head design of your no-name comb is simply too aggressive then the blade pairing may never make any real difference and your technique may not be at fault (and I suspect it probably isn't). For me open combs actually tend to be a little more fogiving so long as I'm using proper pressure but that applies to any razor.
    Do you have any other open combs right now?

10. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Yes, I have another open-comb, but haven't used it yet and I'm reluctant to given my experience last week. I believe it's a Gillette New. I also have a brand new Merkur Slant that I was going to try this week, but again I'm reluctant to in light of my experience with the open-comb. My Merkur 38C gave me another great shave this morning: no irritation, no knicks and BBS after 3 passes and the usual touch-up on my neck. Used a Derby blade again and I continue to be disappointed with Derbys; like the Merkurs better, but still have Crystals, Swedes and Feathers to try.

11. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I too, have a no name open comb that I recently picked up in Sicily. I don't believe I will be able to continue using it. Even with the slightest pressure and a perfect WTG and XTG the ATG is just horrible. I pulled the blade from it and dropped it in my 1940s SS to finish the shave and everything went smoothly, so I don't believe the blade is the culprit.

Here's a shot of it.
    Taormina score cr.jpg

I've had discussions about the performance of the guard in the past and have concluded that it does much more than simply keeping you from accidentally cutting yourself. For instance, the 40's SS forces me to hold the cutting angle more perfectly and when cutting ATG it keeps the skin from being lifted and cut by the blade when the whiskers climb the blade as they are being sheared.

12. Smedley

Smedley New Member

The Slant is not to be feared as long as you do proper prep and keep the pressure light. Except with a Feather on board, then it does tend to level your face out if you're not careful. (Mole? WHACK!)

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

My favourite open comb, no question is my Auto Strop A1. Absolute perfect shaver. A product of the genius Henry Gaisman who got it right the first time in 1906 I believe.
    This is such a sweet razor. The handle is sterling. I should shine it a bit. It deserves it. I just think if my razors as tools and keep them clean but not alot of polishing.

IMG_20221205_134335.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice looking razor. It is almost as old as this thread. :):)

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Rotflol!!

PanChango likes this.
  16. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

Picked this up for a song, cleaned it & polished to give to a friend 30's era Gillette. thumbnail-13.jpg

17. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Very nice one! Most of these have the faded gold plating... do you know if this one was replated?

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Parker Open Combs are great razors. Not that aggressive, either. Actually milder than their R89 clone.

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That NEW LC is a fantastic shaver. Congrats.

brit likes this.
  20. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

Not an expert on these, but have seen others on Ebay w/ this same two tone motifs. I also got this for $13.oo which seems too cheap to be replated and sold. But was surprized at how it cleaned up!

cpool222 likes this.