DS Cosmetic AX: Yet another Wolfman knockoff/clone/copy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ShaversRUs, Mar 13, 2023.

1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

A forum. In Italy, the main one.

ShaversRUs and Hembree like this.
  2. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Yes, I googled it to get a link but it was all in Italian.
    :poze:

Being more than half Italian, I always wanted to learn the language, but never did. Most of my Italian ancestors were from Naples, like you, at least from what I've been told (some of my great grandparents were born there, but my grandfather was born in the north, never met any of them, gone before I was born.) I've never been to Italy, either.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    ischiapp and Hembree like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just got my Yaqi razor heads in the mail today that I purchased on the Trending sale about 2-3 weeks ago so I will do some shaving over this week or 2 using these razor heads.
    I did some measuring on the the Yaqi Sentinel head for gap (1.5mm) for accuracy and it is very reasonble accurately machined. The razor has some positive blade exposure but not a lot using some of my simple testing methods and when using my USB microscope the blade does deflect slightly using a pin as a straight edge across the safety bar and top cap lip under visual observation using my USB microscope.
    I just did a simple test of feeling how it is on the skin and then flipped it 180 degrees and it felt similar and sounded similar with no soap used( a few short simple swipes) .
    Tomorrow will be my first testing on using the Yaqi Sentinel head and it will tell the tale of razor head a little more from my 1st impressions shave.
    (L) Yaqi Zephyr head ...............................................................................................(R) Yaqi Sentinel head, my camera protective lens got damaged so close ups are not great.
    Mail call 13.2.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

ShaversRUs, Hembree and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Hembree

Looks great and I'm looking forward to your first shave and report with the Sentinel.

What blade to plan on using with the first shave?

Mine will be here tomorrow with the Bohemian. :happy093:

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Wednesday, March 22nd 2023- Testing my new Yaqi Sentinel 1.50 mm 316 SS razor with a Yaqi Chippendale Darwin looking handle.

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 316 SS polished 1.50mm with a Chippendale Darwin looking handle- Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range for 1st impressions, Machining seems fairly accurate but not perfect and finish is very polished & adequate. The razor when shaving did not seem overly aggressive or threatening and once comfortable with using the Sentinel I settled in for my normal routine and I did a little more buffing on troubled spots than usual (Chin jaw area).
    When I tested with my USB microscope prior to use it did show some blade deflection that means positive blade exposure using a pin across the safety bar and lip of top cap with blade installed but not a lot on the other side. When shaving the shave seemed accurate when flipped 180 degrees with very similar audio feedback. Installing and removing a blade is very easy on this style of head design IMO.
    Most of the parts & areas I measured with my digital Vernier where reasonably accurate as good as my eyes could witness and the blade gap with my feeler gauge was good enough for my shaving needs, they could of over polished certain areas possibly but also good enough for my shaving needs. (A interesting looking razor IMO)
    I used a steep approach (riding the bar) and shallow approach of (ridding the cap) and either one works because you will end up with similar angles for more a neutral angle approach it seems with good audio feedback to help guide a person also as the shave progresses.
    I bought mine on the trending sale and it was priced right to take a chance to see how this similar looking Personna BBS-0, LASSC BBS-1 or Wolfman W2 looking razor design performs and there is merit to what I experienced when using for 1st use & from others who have used the Sentinel also and who have mentioned their experiences .
    It seems affordable for most folks and not sure how they make any money at their sale prices + delivered . I used a fresh GSB blade 1st use and it worked well as a combination of blade & razor. I will use a Kai SS extra wide blade for more blade feel in the Sentinel on about 3rd or 4th shave to see how it performs also.
    Blade : Gillette silver Blue (1) Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top Tier blade.
    Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco slightly mentholated , nice XXX clean scent with a slight cooling effect that is enjoyable with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "lucky dice" 26mm brown whiskers Fan knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX fresco with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
    Results : CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel razor(24hrs growth) with a GSB blade.

SOTD March 22 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

PLANofMAN, ShaversRUs and Hembree like this.
  7. Hembree

Great report. I'm looking forward to getting mine today.

Ron R likes this.
  8. Hembree

Just arrived!

It is so purdy.

The cap and plate were wrapped individually. The finish looks great.....impressed so far.

Pars nice with the Homelike Shaving Voevoda stainless steel handle.
    20230322_133637_1.jpg 20230322_133628_1.jpg 20230322_134125.jpg 20230322_134057.jpg 20230322_134042_1.jpg

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Hembree likes this.
  10. Hembree

Thanks...I'll probably give it a go in the morning.

11. Hembree

The Yaqi Bohemian came in today also. This thing is a beast and I'm really impressed with the machining.
    20230322_135243.jpg 20230322_135425.jpg 20230322_135414.jpg

PLANofMAN and Ron R like this.
  12. Hembree

[​IMG]
    Yaqi Sentinel stainless steel razor head.
    Homelike Shaving Voevoda stainless steel handle.
    Feather blade (4).
    Yaqi 24mm two band badger brush.
    Tabac shave soap.
    Time Razor shave bowl.
    American Tobacco by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

First run with the Yaqi Sentinel head. The fit and finish on this head is excellent and impressive for the price point. The blade alignment is spot on.

The 1.50mm gap is a little intimidating but proved to not be. The angle is easy to find and even with a Feather blade it never felt like it was going to bite. Three very smooth passes with no blood loss. The head is very efficient and smooth. I'm very please with this addition to the den.

Happy Thursday everyone!

PLANofMAN, ShaversRUs and Ron R like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Thursday, March 23rd 2023, Day 2 testing the my new Sentinel 1.5mm razor.

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm polished 316 SS with a Yaqi "Chippendale" polished 316L SS Darwin looking handle- Mfg 2022>, mild range, interesting design that makes installing and removing reasonably easier IMO. Very attractive looking razor also when polished, I seem to buff slightly more with this razor.
    Tomorrow I will try a KAI blade extra wide blade to see where it makes it's mark for aggression and efficiency's. The blade can be felt sometimes when plunked down to heavily on the start of a stroke recklessly but never seems to rupture my skin barrier which is real good for half asleep shaving in morning drowsiness IMO, (Could be gap size that comes into play that creates a slight skin increase bump closer to blade when razor is plunked to heavily at start of stroke?. )
    The shave went well with no drama and was mostly a carefree shave using my regular routine for a excellent shave.
    Blade : Gillette silver blue (2) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade.
    Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, nice clean XXX scent with a light menthol cooling boost with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "mysterious space" 24mm Timberwolf synthetic knot, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my new Yaqi Sentinel 316 polished razor with a GSB blade.
    SOTD March 23 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Paul Turner, ShaversRUs and Hembree like this.
  14. Hembree

Awesome shave!

15. ShaversRUs

Hembree likes this.
  16. ShaversRUs

Thanks for the reviews. I forgot if you said you had a WR2 or not to compare the shave.

I know it is hard to answer objectively, but is there anything special about this razor for someone who already has dozens of razors? I've already decided to pass, at least for now, since I opted to get a Green Cult razor and I recently got a Feather AS-D2.

Hembree likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well folks I learned something new today while loading the Kai SS blade in my Yaqi Sentinel razor for tomorrows shave I noticed it seemed sloppy for blade alignment and thought I had better do some investigating & thought I would share this because I did recommend using a Kai blade not knowing this issue.
    Kai SS blade is not the best choice because of alignment problems that could arise from the way the blade is made. Of all my 60 + razors the Yaqi Sentinel and other similar razors with this 4 corner without the additional blade alignment guides built in design would not be a wise choice for using the Kai SS Blade in the the Yaqi Sentinel razor.
    Kai for what ever reason made the tabs narrower than a standard Gillette blade, why they did this is unknown to myself? I do know Kai blade works with my 60 + other razors that have locating pins and locating riser grooves for blade alignment but the Sentinel is different because it lacks the these common blade alignment physical guides instead Yaqi Sentinel uses just a 4 tab corner alignment post system like a few other similar design competitors . Using standard DE blades a person will not have any blade alignment issues because there is hardly any clearances!
    I'm still going ahead with using the Kai SS blade but with just visual alignment by bumping the edges of slightly tightened blade with a paper blade tuck box the best I can & then tighten properly and this is not ideal but things happen. I will use a steep approach (riding the bar because the razor will have slightly more blade exposure.
    ( photo below was taken with my USB microscope and it will explain it better than myself hopefully.)
    Kai SS compared to a Gillette silver blue blade end tabs. (3).jpg

Have some great shave!

ischiapp, PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.
  18. Hembree

Great information.

Ron R likes this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Friday March 24th 2023, Day 3 of Testing my new Yaqi Sentinel razor with Kai SS extra wide blade.

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm gap, polished 316L SS with a Yaqi "Chippendale" polished 316 SS Darwin looking handle-
    Mfg 2022>, well built with excellent machining accuracy for standard blades and excellent finish QC for my shaving needs.
    I wanted to try one of my favorite DE blades with the Kai SS blade extra wide blade and discovered that the Kai SS blade have less width on the blade tabs area than a standard Gillette blade(I'm not sure why Kai did this on the blade tabs?) so it affects the blade alignment on this style of blade alignment(4 corner posts only) & also similar design of competitors razors IMO.
    So I did a visual blade reveal on both sides by gently bumping the blade edge with a paper tuck blade box until it looked acceptable and then tightened the blade down.
    The Kai blade will align excellent with normal razors that have alignment posts or riser slots to center the blade evenly. That aside the blade worked great and produced a excellent shave with a little more blade exposure or reveal like I wanted with a Steep approach (riding the bar). The sweet spot angle also increased with this unique blade and it might be worth using for some folks who are willing to have to tweak the blade slightly possibly for alignment because of the narrower blade tabs.
    The shave was excellent and mostly carefree shaving with excellent results for folks who like close shaves.
    Blade : Kai SS, sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
    Soap : Yaqi Green, nice fresh scent with excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned Master soap creations to make their soap & fragrance line of products.
    Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Yaqi Green splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade(with narrower blade tabs width than a standard Gillette blade I just discovered recently).
    SOTD March 24 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Hembree likes this.
  20. Hembree