30 Day Rule/Focus; March 2023. All are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Feb 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

6ED4337E-DAEA-4B82-BFDB-BFCEBFC8B7A7.jpeg

DE Shave # 458 - Fougere Friday- Brocha

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: RazoRock GC .84 JAWS
    Blade: Shark Platinum
    Brush: Classic Shaving Silver Blue
    Lather: Old Cahaba Shave Club Brocha
    Aftershave: Los Jabones de Joserra Brocha
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

A very nice Fougere shave this morning. The Classic Shaving Silver Tip badger brush easily whipped up a slick lather. There were no issues similar to yesterday lathering process. Again, I will chalk up the challenges from yesterday as an outlier.

I did my usual three past shave with the RazoRock Game Changer DE. The end result was a smooth end close shave. The razor featured a new blade. As with most of my experiences with a new blade there what is the development of a weeper 10 minutes post shave.

I hope you all have a great day and an enjoyable weekend.

ChrisB and Trigger like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Terrific shave Joe. Enjoy your day.

JACarbone likes this.
  3. Trigger

March 31 SOTA

Good afternoon.

Schick E-3
    Ted Pella Injector Blade (2)
    Stirling Boar Brush
    Stirling Triumph SS
    Old Spice AS
    Stirling Alum Block
    Beard Growth: 23 hrs

20230331_161037.jpg

This last shave for March was error-free. Two passes gave me a nice close shave. The alum gave me some good feedback on my neck. Finished with the Old Spice aftershave. I will be heading out tonight for a relaxing evening watching and listening to different bands and solo artists. Take care.

ChrisB and JACarbone like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe

Trigger likes this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent Joe.

Trigger likes this.
  6. Trigger

Thanks Giuseppe.

JACarbone likes this.
  7. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Ha, you gotta be young and adventurous!

Thanks John, I agree as a newbie I already have too many soaps, I certainly won't be frugal with them!

Thanks Joe, I was going up with the razor, either way its tricky. Haven't learn Braille yet, but I get your meaning!

Interesting how some days can be different Joe, even for the gurus. I find that fascinating. Nice rescue though.

Joe, I am super glad I read that. Never thought of it that way. Something learnt every day! I usually start with heavy circles to get the lather into the follicles, and then paint afterwards. Maybe each brush has its own foibles?

Screwtape, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  8. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

01 April 2023 already here down under. First day of April for us , still late on 31st March NY time so I think it's ok to post here.

01 Apr 2023 800.jpg
    Early morning walk my better half, brekkies, coffee, lazy shave to start the day.

Growth: 40+ hours
    Lather Bowl: White
    Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 Best Badger, I have been saving this since Xmas for a special day. Dipped briefly in water, shaking dry, straight to the puck.

Razor: Merkur 37C slant, I am drawn to this.
    Blade: Permasharp (1)
    Face Prep: HWS x 3 30 secs @
    Pre shave: Proraso white massaging in and doing it's job while lathering
    Cream/Soap: MWF again! 20 CW 20 CCW and repeat. More soap was loaded than yesterday, despite the same routine: must be the brush? My others are all around 24 mm this one is ~ 30 mm at the knot. Only 2 small dribbles of water needed. Woweee! Thick and super slick in no time!
    Post Shave: Warm water rinse, cold water rinse. Alum was silent. Thayers to finish.
    Aftershave: Proraso refreshing After shave

Passes:
    1st pass: WTG and XTG chevron pattern even with the slant.
    2nd pass: XTG side face, cheeks, top lip XTG both ways
    3rd pass and touch ups somehow blended together.

Results:
    Nicks: Felt a cut left of mouth while Gillette sliding with the slant but no damage seen.
    Red spots: None
    Alum burn: None

Success: Pretty much BBS both ways over most of face, but only one way around the AA and the right lower neck. Pretty much the best shave I have enjoyed so far. Time to remove the P-plates I think. Still need to finesse that AA area, that remains a thorn in my flesh.

Lessons learnt: Hmm, really liking that slant. Also, am liking the MWF more and more. It seems to give more protection.
    I get better shaves with > 24 hour beard and with a fresh blade.
    On the first pass today I was able to use more pressure than usual, likely due the MWF and the longer beard.
    On the 2nd pass the lather gets a bit thinner, the stubble is shorter, less pressure is better.
    Buffing works better on the tough areas with a fresh sharp blade.

Residual stubble: Still some roughness around right lower neck. More work to do on the skillset.

The Chubby 2 only lost a few hairs on its first run. Before the shave I ran this dry over my face and I thought it might not have enough “give” but it splayed nicely on lathering up. Paint first, hard circles next, as alluded to buy @Trigger above. It will get softer with use and splay nicely I am sure.

It's been a fantastic March sharing everyone's shaves, tips and advice. Thanks all!

Trigger likes this.
  9. Trigger

It's not only brushes, but razors, blades and soaps have different personalities. It's why wetshaving can be frustrating at times.

ChrisB likes this.
  10. Trigger

Excellent shave and post Chris. Unfortunately, I don't post the monthly intro until approximately 12 midnight NY time. I know it's about 12 noon your time, but I appreciate your understanding on this mayter.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    ChrisB likes this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 mm solid bar head.
    Snap-on razor handle (diy).
    Astra SP blade.
    Razorock F400 34mm synthetic brush.
    Imperial Barber shave soap.
    Timeless Razor shave bowl.
    Irish Chestnut by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

Awesome three pass shave this afternoon. We are headed out the door to my granddaughters beauty pageant.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Herm2502, ChrisB and Trigger like this.
  12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Not shave related.

My son is about to finish up his 1953 Farmall Super M. We put the decals on it this morning.
    20230401_122039.jpg

Herm2502, ChrisB and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.