Copper Zenith Boar Brush...with Verdigris?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by huck1680, Apr 6, 2023.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Gentlemen
    I recently purchased several Zenith boar brushes and am really enjoying them. However, I have noticed my copper Zenith developing verdigris. Is this normal? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but will this affect the bristles? Also this has developed after using the brush for approx 1/2 dozen times. Should I be letting the brush dry standing up as opposed to hanging bristles down? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    IMG_2617.jpg

jtspartan and Hembree like this.
  2. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I purchased the copper handled Zenith in December. I notice a rim of green near the base of the knot, but it has not spread to the bristles. I also dry it "bristles down." I really do not think it is anything to worry about, at least I am not worrying. (although I do remember a "Facts of Life" or "Diff'rent Strokes" episode where one of the girls washed her hair in a copper bowl and her hair turned bright green). :)

My handle is developing a patina too. I think it is a stunningly beautiful brush.

Hembree and huck1680 like this.
  3. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Update: It was Diff'rent Strokes. Thanks YouTube!
    Screenshot 2023-04-06 094750.jpg

ischiapp, Hembree and huck1680 like this.
  4. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Thanx, I just finished soaking it in a water/vinegar mixture which got rid of the green on the handle and kind of removed the discolouration in the bristles. I guess that's what I'll do doing occasionally from here on in for maintenance. And yes I do like this brush as well.

jtspartan, Hembree and ewk like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That would be a deal-breaker for me. I am, admittedly, very particular.

Lancre, huck1680 and Hembree like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like it, except the copper staining the bristles. If you are serious about keeping it, I would remove the knot, polish the copper up nicely, then lacquer the entire thing, inside and out. Then install another knot.

huck1680 and brit like this.