What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Nah…..hard work is what it was!

jaro likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I replaced the Water Pump on my 06 Dodge Diesel today. PITA. My arms now look like they were used as a chew toy for a Police Dog.

jaro, macaronus, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Cut my own hair again with the old Playtex trimmer. Saves me time and probably $100 per year.

4. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Today was lawn care day. This was the first of the season. Last week, I replaced my blower and string trimmer with electric and was excited to use them. They worked great and weight less and were easier on my hands. Both had good power and now have me considering an electric mower. A few years ago I swore I would never make the change to electric.

5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’m strongly considering a cordless trimmer and blower due to some long term neck and shoulder issues. Pressing a button sounds much more shoulder and neck friendly than pulling on a crank. I’ve heard good reports on the trimmers, and I already have a cordless hedge trimmer and pole trimmer that work well so far. I’m a little concerned about a cordless blower moving enough air.

jaro and macaronus like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've had cordless blowers, in the past. Some are powerful, but the limiting factor is the length of the cord you have to drag around. . I wouldn't give .02¢ for a battery operated one. Neighbors have them, and every two years they buy another, because the batteries wear out. Now, a friend of mine bought one of these new Battery operated lawnmowers, with removable battery packs. He loves it, and the batteries operate a blower and trimmer. It's the newer Technology. I'm thinking its a Makita.

jaro and BamaT like this.
  7. Preacher

My old backpack gas blower moved 765CFM and was quite the beast. My EGO moves just as much air in a much smaller package. I'm impressed with mine.

8. Preacher

At least with the Ego, the battery is warrantied for 3 years (5 on the tools). I was also concerned about this, but I kept reading about folks in the 4th or 5th season of use and the battery is still going stong. Ego puts a lot of thought into battery design. I do a lot of research before spending my money, but only time will tell.

9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ll check that out. Most battery cordless blowers I’ve seen don’t push the CFM like my Echo gas blower. Interestingly, the hedge trimmer and pole trimmer I purchased were Harbor Freight; they work well, and batteries doing fine after about 3 years. But their blowers weren’t rated highly on CFM a while back, I’ll probably re-visit them and compare to the Ego.

jaro likes this.
  10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

We've got one from EGO. High CFM, and it takes the same battery pack as our mower. We've also used it in winter when we get some of that light fluffy snow instead of shoveling.

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

NOT boring! It is a manly thing to take care of your children and to ease the burden of worry from your spouse! :happy088:

Just my € 0.02. :)

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yesterday was a fruitful day :

• Changed a light switch in the kitchen
    • painted the couplings of a locomotive IMG-20230506-WA0003.jpg
    • Got to stoke (and drive!) a second locomotive 20230506_151932.jpg
    • And even got to drive a diesel-electric one IMG-20230212-WA0011_copy_800x600.jpg
    • And on top of it all: after showering a really satisfying BBS shave! 20230107_090745_copy_864x864.jpg

MoAllen, jaro, Enrico and 7 others like this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The Penguinators discovered additional footage.

upload_2023-5-7_11-42-5.png

Sounds like a really fun day for you.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    jaro, DaltonGang, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I used to build rail cars. I will always have a soft spot for train related stuff.

jaro, macaronus and brit like this.
  15. Preacher

Wife broke a ball joint about 40 miles from home. Got her SUV home (expensive) and now have the new ball joint in the freezer. On my next off day, I'll torch what's left of the old one out, heat up the steering knuckle and slide the frozen ball joint in. The cool part is that my son (who is a new school wrencher) is about to see an old school technique in action.

jaro, DaltonGang, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup! It really was!

Cool! :cool:

And here I sat. "wife broke ball joint"

Me: oh dear! Shoulder? Hip?

"joint in the freezer"

Me: wait, what? You gonna cook it in the oven?

Then it dawned on me. The car. :rofl:

Excellent husbandry and fatherhood!

jaro, Enrico, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wacht eens... Hij was ook aan het fokken. :eek::lyrtuy5:

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    macaronus likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_2023-05-08-14-52-07-74_cf3cf72bd8e53b0db7ddb0a6f2208af9.jpg
    Soon.

jaro, BamaT, macaronus and 1 other person like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Speaking of wives and ball joints. My wife fell Thursday night and dislocated her elbow and fractured it in two places . I took her to the emergency room where the put her out and reset it.
    Today was a day of taking her to an orthopedic surgeon and imaging lab for a CAT scan. Now we wait to find out if she needs surgery.
    This was my manly day.

BamaT, PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hope she'll have a speedy recovery!

jaro and PLANofMAN like this.