Personna 74

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by brit, Dec 22, 2022.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm going to stop at 35 shaves with the 74. I'm sure the blade will handle a few more shaves. And people with a lighter beard will get more shaves than I did. Most of the shaves were done every other day, with a few shaves having 3-4 days without shaving. At times, a couple shaves felt it starting to get tuggy, but would smooth out with the next shave. All shaves were BBS, with the last one needing a bit more strokes.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I got to 18 with a Gillette Super Blue. I always think I want to do a longevity test, and then get bored of it by the fifth shave, and desperately want to shave with something else by shave 10. :)

35 shaves is pretty good.

gorgo2, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shave #7
    P-74
    Gillette Ranger Tech
    Chiseled Face Trade Winds

2 pass BBS.

The P-74 has been hanging on a nail in the bathroom since the last shave with it 2 months ago. It still feels fine, no tugging, no drag. I towel dry it after each shave and that's it.

Superior 70 a/s.

PLANofMAN, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shake Sharped?

btw, if you know anyone who may have a spare...

brit likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Used a shake sharp on the later shaves, Kris Kross stropper for the first 8 or so.

And no, I don't know of anyone who has extras. I'm down to one myself, from a high of three, from people on this forum wanting one.

Also, shave no. 1 on the P-74. Used a couple things new to me, including a Timeless .95 on loan from my brother-in-law, and Derby shave soap from the same source. Really enjoyed the Timeless, a nice shaver, up near the best I've ever used. The Derby, not so much. The citronella vibe was a bit too much, but the performance was great. It was a little drying on the skin.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

a trait for many hot weather regions soap wise maybe? arko is similarly drying to me also.,plus old school so no men's moisturisers;):eatdrink047:

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Perhaps. It's been years since I tried Arko, but the scent and performance seem similar.

brit likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shave #8
    P-74
    DLC Yaqi head with all the grooves in it
    Tabak shave soap

Razor and soap from the box, all elements performed very well. Blade is still doing fine. DFS+.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    brit, jimjo1031 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That reminds me, I need to update my usage.
    Shave #2:
    Timeless .95
    Derby shave soap

Shave #3:
    Fatboy set on 3
    Derby shave soap

Shave #4
    Fatboy set on 3
    Mitchell's Wool Fat

Blade continues to perform well. Very smooth shaving.

brit, gorgo2 and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shave #9
    P-74
    White handled Gillette TTO. English, I think.
    Mahogany shave soap

Razor and soap from the box. This genre of razor is always disappointing, like a grown child who you accidentally discover is a furry. Blade is still doing fine.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.