What's a good SE for a first timer?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChrisB, Mar 18, 2023.

1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I did some eBay searches and the ones cheaper with shipping included were in worse condition. This one was cheaper than similar ones on eBay by $5 or more at the time.

I don't know if that was due to eBay commissions or something else like like higher traffic numbers but, that Etsy purchase was cheaper than other platforms with a similar condition razor.

With the cost of gasoline and the value of my time, I could have saved ~$5 on the purchase but, how much would I have spent on the gasoline to find it? When it is all said and done, the extra ~$5 I paid probably saved me several hours searching and ~$20 in travel expenses.

In terms of "wanting top dollar", with great customer service and higher quality options, top dollar within reason doesn't seem overly expensive to me. Really, with a total cost of <$20 how much of a premium is it even at "top dollar".

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Good feedback, thanks @sidpost . I have looked at Etsy, but they are quite dear, and with shipping to Australia, a bit pricey.

TechichiShave is on my radar too, good selection of stuff.
    Shaving.IE is now added to my Overseas shaving website list. Might be faster shipping than from the USA. This was the first site I saw that have cases for Merkur Progress. Collectible for the future!

Hi Again @BBS. Those Starling SE razor look fun, interesting that folks are still making these. The others you listed are just way too pricey.

Anyway, after the generosity of TSD members I now have enough SE razors to play with for quite some time.
    Used my G-bar for the first time today, a bit slow going, but it cleaned me up fine with no damage to report. Definitely a new skill-set worth exploring. :happy088:

Enrico likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Gem Micromatics were my personal favorites

:)

Ron R and ChrisB like this.
  4. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I didn't know that there were services like that.

5. ShaversRUs

Yes, it is not worth driving around to find vintage gear. If you happen to have an antique or collectible store nearby, then it is worth a look. I've mentioned it before, but for other hobbies I have like collecting vinyl records, the local b&m stores usually don't have prices marked, then they go to their laptop and look it up on eBay when you ask a price. They do it so quickly, and my bet is they look at current listings and sort by "highest price" first, probably including shipping. If you make a comment on price, they say, "Well, I have to pay the rent!" It annoys me to no end, and as much as I hate the demise of b&m stores for lots of things, I'm not out to save the world, and if I can save a buck, I will.

For GEM razors, many are sold in lots on eBay. That's how to get the best deals. Most GEM razors seem to be a "dime a dozen", and "cheap as chips." Add your own cliche here...

As my English teacher sophmore year in high school said, "Cliches are as old as the hills, and a dime a dozen."

ChrisB and sidpost like this.
  6. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Like buying a box of TSA confiscation knives, if you know what to do with them, they could be a good value but do you really need ~30 Swiss Army Knives in various conditions?

In my case I wanted one low-risk razor I could just "use" without needing anything other than a blade so, it worked out really well for me.

7. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Well, @ShaversRUs I had no idea what @BBS was talking about, just looked it up now, it's a whole new world out there!

ShaversRUs likes this.
  8. ShaversRUs

Not 30, I'm talking 2 or 3. Often with different Gem/Ever-ready razors in the lot. And usually barely more than the cost of one of the razors.

To each his own.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've purchased from them before, at least once or twice. I can't for the life of me remember what razor I bought though. That vendor has been around for about a decade, perhaps longer, and also sells on eBay.

chazt and ChrisB like this.
  10. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

I like milder razors and bought a Schick Type L from TechiShave. My experience was the razor was exactly as described and shave ready. Would buy again from him.

chazt and ChrisB like this.
  11. ShaversRUs

I don't doubt that they sell quality razors, just that with a little effort, you can get the same quality for less money.

ChrisB likes this.
  12. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

If I lived in Dallas instead of East Texas, perhaps my experience would be different. Who knows, maybe some estate sale with a bunch of tractors and a shop will turn up with some household items so I 'score' a good deal on an old razor no one else wants.

Unfortunately though, like old Lodge cast iron, things get bid up to unreasonable levels by people who think they won the lottery and can flip it on eBay for record pricing.

ChrisB likes this.
  13. ShaversRUs

At the end of the day, if you got a razor that you're happy with, that's all that really matters.

eBay is a crap shoot, and sometimes the time/effort spent hunting down the deals is not worth a couple of bucks saved.

sidpost and ChrisB like this.
  14. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Agreed it's a balance. I no longer go out of my way to the charity shops but will pop in quickly if I am in the area.
    It's always better to have a look/feel.
    Last week I saw a boxed Gillette New assembling incorrectly with a huge price tag on it with "fixed price" highlighted in yellow! No thank you, Ma'am.
    The online shaving vendors no doubt sell good stuff, but they are mostly based O/S too much trouble to return if not happy.
    I am lucky to have got some nice SE razors from the members here on TSD, at least they know what they are selling or piffing.
    One other chap from Australia reached out to me from this post and I got some nice SE from him as well.
    Now, just need more days in my life to have a play!
    Just depends on how much time you have and how you value it.

Enrico likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Find out who they confiscated them from and sell them back to them.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Your neck of the woods is good hunting grounds for British Gillette Super Speeds which are quite rare elsewhere. The ones with red tips whether they look like the American versions or the later ones with what is called Rocket styled adjustment knobs by collectors are sought after pieces if you can sell them after converting the price into USD for about $100 or less including shipping.

ChrisB likes this.
  17. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Are the Super Speeds the same as Gillette Rockets or are they the usual Red, Blue and Flare tips?
    I did find some Rockets a few months ago and one flare tip which are nice to shave with.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

No. They look almost identical to the American Red, Blue or stand Super Speeds but are marked made in England.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are some pictures I took awhile back when I used to own all these razors.

Here are the 3 Red tips.
    BSS3.jpg

The British Super Speed is on the left, Rocket middle and American Super Speed right. Besides the base plates being marked either made in USA or England the other difference are the end tabs, British Super Speeds have pointed end tabs, US Super Speeds are flat.

Here is a full set of British Super Speeds. It is easy to pass over the standard one mistaking it for the more common American versions if you don't know what to look for.
    BSS2.jpg

Enrico likes this.
  20. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Thanks @BBS I have one flare tip made in england but I haven't seen any blue or red tips down here in the vintage shops, . I will keep my eyes peeled.

Enrico likes this.