Simpson Centenary Edition

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ischiapp, Feb 6, 2021.

1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Just seen on the FB.
    And I love It.

The first pic on the Simpson page did not catch me.
    But the details of the real one are amazing.

The Colonel X2L
    Emerald Centenary Edition

[​IMG]

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Simpsons started the same year as the company I work for. Wow. Kinda hits you different when you realize that.

Hembree, brit and PanChango like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    @ischiapp
    While the handle is interesting, do you not share my criticism of the newer, Simpson Best Badger knots? I had a 59 and it was one of the worst examples of Best Badger hair I have EVER experienced. Gone are the glory days of silky, thin, velvety "Best Badger" hair, exemplified in the "Grey Box" era. Personally, I am finished with Simpson. Their customer service is awful and their knots---even the Manchurian, are un-inspired in how they are tied.
    No amount of colorful handles will ever take the place of traditional ivory with a superb knot. JMO.

4. ischiapp

Yes, for sure.
    Not good at all.
    At that price, it's a shame.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've been a member on here long enough to remember people pissing and moaning about the difference in quality between the "grey box" era brushes, and Somerset era brushes.

FYI, the grey box brushes didn't come out on top.

Quality of hair overall has been going downhill, and probably has more to do with sources other than Simpson.

Weather conditions and time of harvest affect badger hair, then you factor in quality of sorting, grading, treating and packing of the raw hair, also done in China. Further sorting and shaping is done by Simpson's or Vulfix employees.

All of these jobs are done by only a handful of people, many of whom are retirement age. This is a dying trade skill, and you've seen the generation of folks who are replacing them. We watched them throw tantrums and not get spanked in the grocery store as children, and they haven't improved since.

Much also depends on the brushes being compared. If the 59 is being compared to a Duke or Chubby, of course the 59 is going to fall short. It isn't an "over-stuffed" knot like the other two models, and the face feel is drastically different.

jtspartan, Primotenore and brit like this.
  6. ischiapp

Yes, but in different ways.
    Easy to find great knots at Oumo, for a fraction of the Simpson price.
    Maybe It's not just a matter of hair ...

PLANofMAN, jtspartan and oscar11 like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Fact is, there are brush-makers out there (Shavemac, Thäter) to name two, who are still producing quality brushes and somehow they get their knots well-tied. I have "pre-Grey box era" Simpsons and they are even better. When you are THE most recognizable name in shave brushes and you are delivering substandard products, and your customer service has gone to hell in a hand basket, that is a tragedy. Let's not compare a gorgeous 59 (I had one) with today's junk. Or...a CUSTOM Rover and a CUSTOM Beehive, with knots that I could have tied (well, maybe not, but you are getting my point, AND paid well over $250 for) If I sound angry, I am. Simpson should be LEADING the way, but they are trailing and fading fast. If you are a Simpson fan, go for it. I will cherish the Simpsons in my den, which were produced in an era when quality counted for something.

8. brit

brit in a box

being there were few folks who used a brush after the 80s and fewer who knew the difference would change things as well.pre internet times meant going to "select" shops to get them..:)

jtspartan likes this.
  9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I think I've had 5 or 6 Simpsons, one was a dandy brush.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I will not run around town and speak trash about the Simpson brand, but at the same time, I have never had quality time with their brushes.

Shavemac knots are way better.

jtspartan and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Agreed. I own several Simpson's brushes, and only one Shavemac. The Shavemac is my daily driver.

jtspartan likes this.
  12. ischiapp

+1

My experience with Special Edition is just one brush.
    A nice M7 in Faux Jade with a 22x50mm Manchurian Super Badger knot. (pic)
    I love the handle, but I do not like too much the hair.
    I prefer a cheap chinese Finest, wich I paied less than a tenth. (pic)
    It was my first and last time with super expensive Simpson.

If I want to pay that much, Voigt & Cop italian masters is a way better option.
    And I'll have a jewel-like one-of-a-kind brush.
    Both as handle, and mostly as in-house handmade knot.

jtspartan likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Let's just compare "apples to apples". Two Simpson 59 Best Badger, both owned by me.
    1) Grey Box Era purchased by me on the aftermarket.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 06.29.44.png
    "Modern" 59, purchased NEW by me.
    bMQhdTh.jpg
    The following statements are subjective.
    First brush: Gorgeous knot. Well formed. Lovely bulb-shaped knot. Pillowy soft. Fine hair.
    Luxury all the way.
    Second brush: No thought, nor artistic attempt at creating an heirloom brush. Scritchy and floppy. Hair is much coarser.
    Last brush. While this is not a 59, it does represent an era long before the "Grey Box" years. Also "Best Badger".
    IMG_5330.jpg
    A picture is worth a thousand words.
    After having owned MANY Simpson brushes, I feel particularly qualified to make "judgements" on the product and the
    company.
    This is just a fraction of what has been in my shave den. (you'll notice three beautiful "Best Badger knots" K4, PJ3 and MC)
    skMGPnP.jpg

14. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

This seems like the appropriate place to throw out a Simpson question since the discussion has drifted to Simpson quality.

I just received a new Chubby 2 in Super. This is my first Super, and I think my seventh Simpson (all Best) except another Chubby 2 in synthetic. I bought it sight unseen, and was pretty excited to finally own such an iconic brush. Upon opening it, I was a underwhelmed. The knot is dense as it should be, but the hair isn’t any softer or finer than my Bests. The tips are lighter, but not what I’d call white, and they appear to have been trimmed a lot, so the naturally fine ends are gone and the lighter tips feel (dry) just like my Bests. Additionally, there’s a flat spot on the outer perimeter where some shorter hairs were added to the knot. I don’t know if the brush will soften, and the face will even out visually. The knot is a lighter tipped three band, with light hair disappearing into the handle. Thoughts? Is this the best I can expect currently for blind purchases?

I’m really torn between testing the brush out and seeing if it’ll break in and become lovable, or just create a bad experience that I paid a lot for. I also just received a WCS Silvertip that was only $40, is softer, and has a nicely formed knot that bloomed out quite nicely for the beacon style ivory handle. It’s less dense, but it’s supposed to be.

Sorry to the OP for further fueling the hijack, but I wanted to grab the attention of some experienced Simpson guys.

brit and Primotenore like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    You are the recipient of the current Simpson product. Me, if it has not seen any water, I would contact Mark Watterson at Simpson and express your displeasure. Well, I would do that in any case and demand a refund.
    You will probably get a response from Anna (I think that's her name), if you get a response at all. You probably spent around $250, and for that kind of outlay, you should get a magnificent, well-tied, uniform, quality product---which it appears, from your description, you did not. Good luck and please keep us informed.

PLANofMAN, brit, HiPowerRon and 2 others like this.
  16. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well the story is going to be short. After comparing this brush with all of my others, the knot isn’t at all worth the investment, and doesn’t bring anything new or of value to my current collection of brushes. I’m mailing it back unused. I wish Jarod @ Superior Shave still carried Simpson, but maybe this drop in quality is why he doesn’t. Anyway, I’ve got more than enough brushes for now, and won’t drop any money on another Simpson unless I can examine it first.

17. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

I haven't noticed a drop in quality in the Simpson best badger hair. They all seem to perform the same.

18. brit

brit in a box

i love my wcs lantern silvertip.was my second silvertip,yaqi was my first.both my smaller simpson's are best badger.nice brushes.am i missing something by not owning a $200+ simpson? maybe..but..:):eatdrink047:

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'd rather pay for a $200+ Shavemac knot than a $200+ whole Simpson's brush. @stingraysrock I'm sure would agree with me. (Not that I'm into knots that big).

I just ran though Shavemac's brush configurator. A 26mm D01 two band custom brush would cost €185, or around $200+. I think I know what I want for Christmas this year. Berndt won't live forever, and my one shavemac brush won't last forever either, but it will last longer if I stop using it daily. I really ought to sell most of my other brushes.

stingraysrock and brit like this.
  20. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

Shavemac leaves much in quality to be desired that I've found in a Simpson.,, There's simply no beating a Simpson,

brit likes this.