Yaqi Adjustable V2 Easy Fix

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, May 4, 2023.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I took this razor from the traveling box because I was curious about it. In the first pic you can see that the gap is uneven. From what I read, the Pearl Flex adjustable had the same problem and was fixed by replacing the spring with a stronger one. Well, at present I don't have time to check out different springs at someplace like Home Depot, but this fix will work. I placed o-rings on either side where the posts from the head go. The o-rings I used will still make it adjustable on settings 2-6, with an even gap. Second pic with the setting at 6.......
    20230504_132414.jpg

20230504_130716.jpg

2. jimjo1031

Just an edit. The o-rings also help in keeping the adjuster ring in place.

Hembree and Ron R like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Interesting way of improving spring tension. There was a fellow on another review who has been using different SS springs in different Gibbs style razors and he claims the idea spring is .8mm X 10mm X 15mm for TFC. I tried a different spring from a different razor and was not any better, the spring from that the TFC came with is ideal IMO. To correct any angle misalignment I just tighten the gab and then set to desired setting works 95%+ of the time.

Hembree and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

I forgot to mention, the size of the o-rings I used are 5mm x 2mm.

Hembree and Ron R like this.
  5. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I hope it's working out for you.. That razor was about the only thing that really caught my eye that I wanted from the traveling box this time.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

The first shave I had with it after installing the o-rings, I used a Gillette Spoiler blade on setting #4, excellent. I checked the gap between passes, and it stayed equal on both sides. It can go as high as roughly #5.5 before the gap gets uneven, as the o-rings aren't in equal contact between the two plates. I guess if someone likes really aggressive razors, they can change the size of the o-rings. Someday when I have time, I'll go to Home Depot and check out their springs.

jaro likes this.
  7. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

glad its working out for you...

jimjo1031 likes this.