How long are NOS blades good?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LKLive13, Jun 17, 2017.

1. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

As the title states I am curious just how long a vintage NOS blade is good for. I recently picked up 2 5 packs of the blue blades and decided to try one. It seemed to pull and tug, A LOT! Given they are still in original package and wrappers, Just curious if anyone out there has any idea how long they are good for. I know this has probably been talked about before like everything else but I can't seem to find a thread at quick search. Thanks!

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

NOS blades are subject to microcorrosion that dulls the edge. It is impossible to know, just have to try. An NOS blade stored in pristine dry conditions will last virtually forever. You likely have a pack that has endured some corrosion. NOS blades are hit and miss like that.

Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  3. LKLive13

That's what I figured. I know the edges couldn't last forever but thought I would ask.

4. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi Larry, I use vintage Gillette blades all the time. I usually have zero issues with them. But I have had very bad luck with most non-Gillette blades.

5. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Are you referring to Gillette Blue Blades or one of the many other vintage carbon blades that are dark blue in color? I use many different brands of vintage carbon blades. They tug in varying degrees but with the right razor (I use them with an adjustable set low) and the proper technique they provide very good close irritation free shaves.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. LKLive13

They were specifically Gillette Blue Blades that I tried

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have a stock of Blade Man, Pontiac, Sheffield, Adams, ASR, Pal, Silver Star and other carbons from as far back as the 1940s, a few maybe the '30s, and they all shave fine (admittedly, I've developed a taste for carbons). Granted, carbons are not stainless but if they can hold up, I can't imagine more recent stainless blades spontaneously de-honing due to age. I've seen that claimed for years but I believe it's a myth based on a misunderstanding of how carbon blades typically felt.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Straight Arrow likes this.
  8. LKLive13

Maybe they just tug a little too much for my taste? It's all good. I'll keep them in the drawer

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Some carbon blades are better than others. For example, even though I own many of them I have poor luck with the white pack Gillette Thins which, as far as carbons go, were relatively recent. I don't think I ever particularly cared for their Blue blades either. Point is, don't write off all carbons just yet. ;)

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

BTW vintage stainless blades should be pretty much good to go

gorgo2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Your stash is amazingly close to what I have. I don't see any Marlin, Don Juan, or Fan? Great blades in my experience. Ever since the vintage carbon bug bit me my desire to use stainless blades is fast fading.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know you like Don Juan but the ones I had were not very good for me compared to others. Never came across Marlin or Fan but I will tell you Gold Tone is one of the best old carbons I ever used. Wish I still had some. The one with the guy in the tuxedo was good too.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Popular Science   Google Books.png

I've owned the Twinplex and various other stroppers but the Aloxite 45 is the only device I kept. Mine works like a charm. However, with the relative cheapness and availability of good old carbons, unless you can get a 45 for next to nothing, obtaining one isn't worth it.

14. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

thumbnail-6.jpg I'm hoping to bring some Gillette Blues back from the grave w/ this puppy, or at least get 4 shaves from my Treet carbons (at 6 cents each ! a guy could use a price break) wink wink

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It should help, just make sure the leather on the strop rollers is in good shape. Sometimes it can get dried out, other times (if used) they look like they were left wet and get lumpy, even moldy.

Old_Spice likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In addition to what Gorgo said, you'll want to apply some abrasive strop dressing to the leather rollers as well.

Old_Spice likes this.
  17. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

w/ re: to... "It should help, just make sure the leather on the strop rollers is in good shape. Sometimes it can get dried out, other times (if used) they look like they were left wet and get lumpy, even moldy."
    and
    "In addition to what Gorgo said, you'll want to apply some abrasive strop dressing to the leather rollers as well."

Is there any product you recommend ? ie; Neatfoot oil for the leather? Fromm 1907 ? other ?
    Here's a close up pic thumbnail-11.jpg thumbnail-10.jpg

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The inside of a coffee mug or a water glass that is made of glass also make goods strops.

Also to add one other factor in terms of blade longevity. The blades are likely to be pretty good also if they have not been moved around a lot. But a good stropping generally fixes any issues if they have been stored in a dry environment.

Obviously do not even try with blades that are clearly rusted or corroded. But I've used older blades from the '40s and '50s with varying degrees of success. Some have been quite nice.

Old_Spice likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Those don't look too bad. I've seen much, much worse. Plan will have to tell you about abrasives, I know nothing of them.

Incidentally, a preparing to use NOS Gem blades from around 1912-14, I think. I'll let you know how it goes in Shave of the Day thread.

Old_Spice likes this.
  20. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

I found this on the internet (and believing everything I read) that last sentence {{{{{{ 500 }}}}} thumbnail-10.jpg

brit likes this.