Farewell to Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF reformulation)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLANofMAN, May 24, 2023.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Got 2 of the 3 soaps I ordered. Both tallow formula. Not sure what happened to the third puck. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

2. brit

brit in a box

fancy bowl..maybe..;) if the 3rd is new formula you will be able to do comparison shaves.

Silvestris, MacDaDad, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

According to Brad Maggard, they were receiving the reformulated stuff over a year ago.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Where did you read this? and if they were getting the palm formula a year ago, why is it just now hitting the internet?

There was a bad batch of MWF tallow formula last year. Is that what this is referencing?

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    There's a little bit of formaldehyde in each breath you exhale, too. Humans naturally produce it, and if we didn't, we would die. That's something they don't normally teach in Science class.

Just some food for thought.

MacDaDad, Frijolero, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I may have mis-interpreted Brad's reply. I have no idea why the discrepancy in dates. The bad batch you refer to could be a factor. I have no way of knowing, but it seems plausible.

All I know is when I heard about the reformulation, I wanted to order some before all the old stuff turned into unobtainium, so I emailed Maggard's late last night to ask which version they had.

Mid-morning today I received a reply - "Reformulated. The Tallow one has been gone from our stocks for over a year." That may have been due to the bad batch. I have heard that there's a run on the stocks of old MWF.

I looked elsewhere. I found a barbershop that had some and I ordered a few pucks. I'm an old man. If, in rotation, I get three years per puck, I should run out of breath before I run out of MWF.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I also fart on a regular basis ........ doesn't mean I want to breathe them. :sick007:

:rofl:

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Correction, the receptionist was misinformed. They have several hundred pucks in stock at the moment, and it's all old formula. They will update the website when they switch to the new formula.

Frijolero, jtspartan and Hembree like this.
  10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I guess I got lucky. Ordered a puck from GiftsandCare in Spain a few months ago. Just checked. Old formula.
    2B04A623-8AB5-4C3F-91C3-AE3EA2223972.jpeg
    Don’t know if they have more, but will give them a shout out for great prices and good, fair shipping to North America.

Hembree, PLANofMAN, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i still have 2/3 of my old puck.it's gone and that's a shame..next..:eatdrink047: RIP old spice ,vintage williams,brit hard soaps,tabac..;)

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  12. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Paul, I've been grandfathering my Puck of MWF for 15 years. I alway's got an easy thick cushiony lather from it. It pay's to have soft water. Artisan wise we still still have Stirling for awesome tallow based soap.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You won't have any when you finish your 3017...

Frijolero, brit and Hembree like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

true enough.;):eatdrink047:at least i got to use up one puck.:)

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Third puck from Amazon US arrived. It's also tallow based.

Edit: ...and ordered four more from mensroombarbershop.com. I remember the last time I ran out of a product I really liked. It sucks. I plan to put that day off for as long as possible. It helps that my 'other' favorite soap, Saponifico Verisino, is $40-50 per puck. That makes this a cheap investment, comparatively speaking. It's still annoying. I don't like having to prep for the shaveacolypse all in one go like this.

On the bright side, MWF holds onto it's scent over the years better than most soaps.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Frijolero, Hembree and brit like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Review of new formula from @kosoval

"Ok, got the first shave with the new formula. The soap is fine. Lathers better (easier) then the original formula. Scent is still very subtle, but much more generic... The previous soapy scent is replaced by a scent of Nivea hand cream. Aftershave feeling not bad. I think its a great daily driver for uncomplicated shavers.

HOWEVER, it is NOT the same soap. It should not be sold as the original formula. Its misleading and disrespectful to loyal users that are on this forum. I have never been a huge fan of MWF as some of the people here, but it holds a special place in my soap collection as an unpretentious daily go-to soap.
    Part of it was also that I felt good with the ingredients in it. I would choose tallow instead of palm oil anytime because of my personal ethical views. I also live in the UK, so UK made products have a priority for me. They do not travel from far away like Turkey or US or EU or.... In a way, it felt like supporting your community.
    But at the end, I know the world is all about making a buck, so I pick whatever is affordable and works and shut up. I am just a cog. But MWF doesn't feel like the community any longer. Importing another ingredient from tropics and co-creating global problems."

BamaT, madmedic, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Review of the new formula from @optometrist

First use of the non-tallow using my Simpson Trafalgar T3 and what a **** soap, IMO. Airy lather, the only positive being no dissipation. It's totally usable, but nothing close to the tallow version it's replacing.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Review by @AJMiami

This new stuff is good, I’m doing a 180 turn. How good? I’m not willing to say it’s on par or better with the previous formulation, but I would be content with shaving with it exclusively if didn’t have access to other stuff.
    Summary, I got BBS with 2 passes + cleanup, and going against the grain on the second pass. Shave was irritation free, without a hint of blood. Rinse was easy without leaving residue. Post shave feel was good, I could have skipped the after shave.
    My method was to load the brush damp, with all water removed. Swirled the puck for 20 seconds and ended up with too much soap.
    Initial lather on my face, and then 2nd pass lather which was hydrated properly and was very protective.
    I’m a fan.

19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Mine arrived today from Amazon.....old formula.

20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

ischiapp, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.