Aggressive Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim O, May 26, 2023.

1. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

What are 3-4 classic, or widely popular razors, compared with a Merkur 34c, that is? It's my first and only razor, but I think I would favor a more aggressive one. Longer handle, too. Thanks.

2. brit

brit in a box

gillette superspeed,slim adjustable,fatboy..

3. brit

brit in a box

slim adjustable ,super adjustable have longer handles than the standard 3 inch of most others.then there are the modern de razors..;)

wristwatchb, gorgo2 and Jim O like this.
  4. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

Too darn many options for the new guy here.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

get a gillette slim adjustable ,cheap as chips.all brass/nickel plated. Available on many sites.
    upload_2023-5-26_22-2-13.jpeg

6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Don't forget the single edge vintage razors.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

brit, gorgo2 and Jim O like this.
  7. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

The Razorine FlatBoy is very efficient and easy to use. The price is very good and you can always swap out the handle. Also the Karve OverLander is an excellent razor, mine is brass, and you can get a handle up to 4" long.

gorgo2 and Jim O like this.
  8. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

I'm not at all familiar with them. Are the blades expensive?

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The vintage Gillette adjustables all shave pretty much the same. The only real difference is in handle length/girth, and coloration.

Slimmer grip and shorter: Slim (nickel finish)
    Average grip, shorter: Black Beauty
    Average grip, longer: Super Adjustable (also black)
    Beefier grip, heftier feel: Fatboy (nickel finish)

PLANofMAN, Jim O, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

They can be, but they do last longer shavewise. I can pull a month's worth of comfortable shaves out of a Shick Injector blade. The reason is they are thicker than a DE blade and hold an edge better, and longer.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

sidpost, Jim O and gorgo2 like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Aggressive doesn't necessarily result in a closer shave.
    I can get pretty darn near BBS with razors that are considered quite mild - the Gillette Blue Tip, Gillette Ball End Tech to name a couple.
    Often said, because it is truth - Technique trumps tools.
    It's in my signature line - You just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got!

Jim O, gorgo2, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I started with a Merkur 34C. The most economical starting point: shim your Merkur. That will really wake it up. (with regular scissors, cut off the sharp edge of a used blade and insert it between baseplate and cutting blade; will increase gap, provide a more efficient shave, and cost you nothing).

If you are looking for a new razor, some of my favorites:
    Gillette "Old" style
    Edwin Jagger 3one6
    Blackland Blackbird; brass re-released and currently with a Memorial Day discount. One of my very favorite razors.
    Karve Christopher Bradley, C or D plate to start. My favorite is G plate
    Yates 921-M or H plate.

Jim O likes this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Mühle R41, preferably the 2011 version. Merkur Progress, slammed wide open, cocked and locked.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Keithmax and Jim O like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you're interested in single edge razors, my money is on the 1924.

Jim O likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    "Mühle".

PLANofMAN, Keithmax and Jim O like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Long or short handle Merkur Progress. The newest iterations made 2o16 and later are tuned to be less aggressive than the prior ones but they are still aggressive on the higher settings. If you want to spend a little more look for Progress razors made prior to 1990. Gillette Super 109 aka longer handle Black Beauty adjustable is another option along with the shorter handle Super 84 Black Beauty. If you want to spend $200+ on a new razor a Rex Ambassador adjustable is also an option. There are others but these I know from personal experience will tick the aggressive shave box. If you want super efficient but not overly aggressive then as long as you are okay with modifying blades a Gibbs adjustable is another option.

Enrico and Jim O like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends the format and how many blades you buy. AC aka Artist Club blades tend to be the most expensive per blade while Gem style blades are the least if you buy them by the 100 pack. Injectors fall somewhere in the middle, Personna and their rebrands being the cheapest but least sharp of injector blades, Chinese Schick blades being in the middle price wise and Japanese Schick blades being the most expensive.

There are a lot of good cheap vintage razors in the SE world that will tick your boxes but they come with a learnimg curve. A tried and true aggressive razor that is built like a tank and easy to acquire cheaply is the Gem Micromatic open comb razor if you want to go that route. A cheap Schick injector that is aggressive is a Type E3. There are links to dummies guides on injectors in the master sticky thread to help identify the different types of injectors to ffigure out what is what.

Herm2502 and Jim O like this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ah! Yes, Thank You for the correction!

Primotenore likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Merkur Progress 510

[​IMG]

Truly an amazing razor!

:)

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Herm2502, Jim O, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That handle has always looked scary slick.

Herm2502 and Enrico like this.