curious, ebay razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gatto, Dec 25, 2008.

1. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Very hard to tell from the pic.

They look good, but they are so far away who knows?

3. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

well what I'm wondering is if it's a new razor and I can sharpen it myself then how can it not be made into a good razor? even if when I get it it's not sharp

4. Queen of Blades

I'll leave that to the experts to answer, but if you can't tell the condition of the blade or scales you could be getting anything.

5. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

yeah, that is the thing. I don't know anything about these

6. Queen of Blades

Not sure anyone will be able to give you any info on these particular razors. Other than the seller.

You just can't see them. <shrug>

No idea where the blades were made, who the manufacturer is, etc.

I'd pass.

Are you looking for yourself, or........?

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

I can't check eBay from work right now (I'm working pretty hard!!! Can't you tell?), so I have no idea what's the topic of discussion...BUT, I have been researching cheap straights pretty religiously the past few days. As far as ebay goes, I have heard that Double Arrows, while occasionally warped, are actually acceptable to most of the stricter straight guys. And at 9.50? No sweat.

They aren't sharpened--but there are people who can handle that for you, or you can learn it on your own.

It's my plan, anyway...

8. Queen of Blades

The auction doesn't list a manufacturer or any real info on the straights, Jim. :)

Just a long distance pic of the razors.

That's all the info in the auction. :rolleyes:

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The razors are new production and are all from the same brand. It isnt dovo or anything like that. I'd say theres a 99.99% chance that they are complete crap and wont hold an edge. Just like a ZeepK

And they're not doublearrow.

10. Queen of Blades

How do you know that? :confused:

11. JayKay

Because I went through all the other auctions that the guy had and you can see the imprint on the razors, but cant read it because of his crappy pictures. But in all the photos they are the same and it deffinetly doesnt say double arrow. He mostly sells cheap disection equipment. Its probably crap. We know the good razor manufactures. This isnt one of them. I would stay away. And if they were NOS boxes of blades, they wouldnt be 3 for $10. He has tons of them. Besides, it would cost you more to send them to be honed than it would to buy them. Spend the money on one good old W&B or something of that sort.

12. Queen of Blades

Geez, chill. :scared001 I just didn't look through his other auctions to find all that.

I already knew these were pretty much a no-go. I know I wouldn't have bought em.

13. JayKay

I'm chilllll. I'm just backing up my words with evidence :D Trying to steer a girl in the right direction!

14. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

haha thanks for the help guys, I'll steer clear.

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Pakistani "quality" most likely when I look at the price.

Useable? Yes of course. For cutting onions, opening letters...

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Ahhhh! I can see the brand on the strop, Selective. I just saw a thread about those on SRP. The general consensus seems to be "No good, no good. Not even the strop is worth the money."

17. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

wow, sent the seller a message last night asking if everything was new, the response I got was ysh

18. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Run...don't walk, run...away. It looks like they're probably Pakistani or Chinese, and neither will ever really hold an edge for shaving. If you want cheaper ones to see if you're really into it before investing a lot of money, try the forum classifieds or go for something like Double Arrow or maybe Wapienika.

19. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

20. JimR

JimR Active Member