Kimson Shaving Brushes

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by sparky5693, Dec 27, 2008.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Kimson Shaving Brushes
    [imga=left]http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=2100&d=1230358010[/imga]
    [imga=left]http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=2096&d=1230357977[/imga]
    There's been a bit of controversy regarding the completed shaving brushes being sold by Kimson Handicraft. Instead of just telling us their shaving brushes were great, they also sent out a few samples, hoping to get some honest reviews on their product. I was fortunate enough to receive one of those samples for testing. That sample arrived today.

I must say, the handle on this brush looks even better in person than it has in any of the pics i've seen (and they've looked pretty good). The handle material is slightly transluscent, which allows you to see the colors that lurk deeper inside the brush. The marbling effect this creates is really stunning. The handle itself is highly polished, and perfectly smooth everywhere. The handle itself is two inches tall, and about an inch and a half wide at the base. It's a nice meaty handle that fits well in the hand, and makes me feel like i've got something solid there.

I don't know the formal measurements of the knot, but after bloom, I took some unofficial measurements. The loft is 52mm, and it's about 85mm wide (after bloom). The knot is made from silvertip badger, and it's really packed. The knot is ever so slightly asymetrical, which to me is an indication that it's hand tied (as I was also told). There's been some comparison of this knot to a blankety blank, and I can say it most definitely is not the same. The brush is a floppy one, yet it's really packed with hair. I'd place it in between a Kent, and a C&E BBB. The brush performs excellently with both soaps and creams. Check out the photo link at bottom for comparison.

Overall, I REALLY like this brush. It's the exact stiffness that I prefer, and the natural handle is really a work of art. This brush moves to number 1 in my collection. For the fair price of $79.00, and $7.00 for international shipping to my home, it's a real bargain. They're for sale at
    Kimson Handicraft.

Disclaimer: I don't have any business relatonship with Kimson, although after seeing this, i'm envisioning a custom TSD model, so you might want to hang tight before ordering ;)
    More photos here

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Nice review! I'm rather suprised at the quality. I think a long term test on how it holds up will also be in order. Have a great new years!

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Nice review, Bobby! Should I ever need another brush, I think I might get one of these beauties :D

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

A TSD Kimson brush? :happy088 Thanks for the writetup Sparky.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would love to see a TSD model! Thanks for the review!

6. Fenix

Fenix New Member

Very intrigued by the possibility of the TSD model. Intrigued indeed.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Nice review Sparky. It leaves me with two questions for you.

1) What controversey are you referring to? Is their or was their some issue w/ the brush?

2) When you say floppy, what are we talking about? Does it completely mash out and splay across the face? Or is it stiff enough to hold some form while lathering? Unfortunately I've never used a Kent so can't compare. I have used a CE BBB and a Kingston BB. Both were too floppy for my tastes. Would you, or anyone else for that matter, be able to compare this to a Rooney? I find the Rooney to be very soft and pliable yet still stiff enough for precision lathering.

Thanks for your time and appreciate any help on these follow up q's.

8. sparky5693

Administrator
    Some of the pictures that Kimson posted made the knot look a bit cheap (for lack of a better term). I can say that it is indeed a high quality brush and the problem was with those pictures, and not the brush. I've not used a rooney, so I can't compare there, but if a C&E is too soft for you, this may be too. It definitely has more backbone than a kent. It reminds me quite a bit of a Muhle Pinsel, yet it's more dense, and softer. I believe it's a combination of a knot that's really stuffed, and a high loft.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

great review, Bobby! :)

10. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I wonder if they do custom loft sizes? Maybe a lower loft could help with the floppy factor. I'm looking for something between a C&E Best and a Rooney. The Rooney's are a bit too stiff for me... and the C&E is just about right, but I'd like something stuffed a bit more.

11. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Doesn't do much for me; looks very mundane. Their website is pretty dreadful as well.

12. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Shavemac D01 brush will get you close to a standard Rooney, just a touch softer/less densely packed, and a softer at the tips as well.

Someone I know is having one of these Kimson handles knotted with a D01 haired knot.

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

How's the brush and knot holding up Sparky? How many hairs has it lost? Any word on the TSD model?

14. biomesh

biomesh New Member

I've used mine maybe a dozen times and only lost 1-2 hairs on the first use.

15. sparky5693

Administrator
    It really is a good brush. I've returned my original sample to kimson now, so that he can see what his brush looks like when well used.

I spoke to kimson a couple days ago, and he's working on the TSD prototype now. Unfortunately, shipping to and from has proven to be really slow.

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Thanks for the updates guys! These really seem to be a good value.

17. Hraefn

Hraefn New Member

How long did it take to get to you?

18. Deftim13

Deftim13 New Member

Would love to know the shipping time also. There is a few brushes on the site that are on clearance. For the price I do not think they can be beat.

19. sparky5693

Administrator
    Things seem to be taking about a month to get here, and for mail to get there it's even longer than that.

Kimson's a good guy, hopefully he will have a TSD prototype headed my way soon.

20. Will

Will Nevermind

Robert James Pinderhurst The Third, if that is your real name...

So are you the only one going to be testing these? So we are going to get a 1 sided review? How bout varying opinions? How about running it over with a Dinali? HUH?

I say we have a few protos sent or we do a limited pass around with the one proto for some others to review. I will gladly sacrifice myself for the forum. It is a dirty job but someone has to do it. :happy102