cleaning a brass razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wchnu, Dec 30, 2008.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Here is a news flash... I have a friend that owns an antique shop.. I was showing him a brass Micromatic clog proof that was nasty. He told me that i needed to put Tabasco sauce on it to break up the gunk. Folks it works.. I do not have before pics but belive me that it was nasty. it now looks great. I put the tabasco on then hit it with a tooth brush.. the brass looks great.

HE tells me that the other hot sauces do not work as well.. just a little note from the Bunny hutch.

Fuzzy

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    My guess would be the vinegar :sick007 is doing the work.

Vinegar is cheaper than Tabasco btw.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

that is what i was thinking.. but he says that the others do not work as well. i will have to try them and find out.

Fuzzy

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I read about this once for cleaning copper. The article I read was trying to find why Taco Bell hot sauce cleans pennys so well. They did some experimentation and found that it was the vinegar/salt combo that did it. I assume it is the same for brass and Tabasco.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Could well be.. and besides that is made just a few minutes from where I live.

Fuzzy

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

We use Tabasco on everything from eggs to wedding cake here in Louisiana. Damn right it would clean a razor. I've heard it'll even knock out venereal disease. :happy088

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You right.. but. I think it hurts less to keep it then put the Tabasco on.:happy102

Fuzzy

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

True, but sometimes you need to "man up", or "woman up" as the case may be.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:happy102 OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok that felt good....:D

Fuzzy

10. tom myers

tom myers Member

Fuzzy, I suspect your antique dealer is from Louisiana. Those folks all seem to share Guido's enthusiasm for Tobasco. Personally, I feel the Tobasco version with habanero is a little nicer, but I haven't tried it for cleaning razors. (They might melt.) :D

Regards,
    Tom

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing is better then the original sir... :happy102.... and yes it is a do all down here kinda like duct tape.

Fuzzy

12. tom myers

tom myers Member

You know Fuzzy, I had forgotten that you live in Louisiana too. That being the case, I suspect that you could just use some Tabasco from the bottle you folks tend to keep in your pocket for when you happen to be out of state. :D

Regards,
    Tom

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Glad to see you understand :D

Fuzzy