SE fans

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Windwalker, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Anyone have any British Gem/Ever Readys? I saw one on Ebay, and was wondering if there was a difference in those and the ones we have here. There is an opinion that the Rockets are head and shoulders above the SuperSpeeds. Just another odd thought, I now return you to your previous programming. :D

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

british ones tend to be heavier.

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

no other differences besides weight? no different designs, handles or anything?

you know Dave, this forum could use a SE compendium much like MTGrayling's on the Rocket....

:D

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

not really. made in england is stamped on the back of the head. some of the cases may have been a bit nicer. thats about it though.

:)

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Here's my two British made SE's. The GEM is a tank and is built like an Aristocrat Jr. with a thick heavy plate up top. The 1912 Ever Ready looks like a regular American made one but has an incredible Bakelite case.

GEM, Ever Ready
    [​IMG]

GEM, Ever Ready
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I second this! Great idea, run with it Dave.

6. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

All in favor, say Aye!

MT, that is a great looking case and a great pair of razors thanks for sharing. Is the Gem a TTO? Or does it have a different tab for opening?

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Aye!

It flips open like most of my GEM/Ever Ready's. They have some type of spring to hold them open. I actually got it because of the case and didn't even know it was a 1912 until Dave explained about SE's to me a bit. :ashamed001 It does shave well, better than an open comb Micro Matic. :D

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The 1912's are a better shave,... wait till you take a lather catcher around the block.

Fuzzy

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Wow Chris, those are some beautiful, beautiful razors. :1respect

How did you come across those?

So far, with only a few shaves under my belt, I'm going to agree with the 1912s v. Open Comb Micromatics. My 1912 Travel was very easy to shave with, and relatively forgiving, too. I didn't think that so much before I tried my open comb MM. A little practice, maybe a better blade and I'm sure the open comb MM will come around. Some. maybe....?

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I was looking for Rocket's on the eBay UK site and found them. That green mottled Bakelite case sure caught my eye. The GEM came with a Rocket I think.

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

hmm... veery inter-est-ing.... I don't know why it never even occurred to me to check eBay UK....I assume there are other countries, too?

Oh, SWMBO is not going to like this discovery! :rolleyes005

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

There are many eBay sites. I stick to the English speaking ones mostly. eBay Canada and Australia have interesting things at times.

Yes I doubt the Wife will like that! :D Blame it on me, I can take it.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I made the suggestion somewhere for a wife of wet shavers support group.. I think they need that.

Fuzzy

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yes, yes you did. In the other current SE related thread (lathercatcher?). And you suggested it based on my comment there about SWMBO and I.....I'm beginning to see a trend...

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I never remember where I post what.. but you seem to be cheerleader for the peeve the wife off crew... go you :D

Fuzzy

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the 1912 model of either, to me at least, is like the superspeed of the SE world.

ymmv of course.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

yeah, I have a knack for doing that. I'm sure she'd love to tell you all about it :rolleyes:

Why do you say that? (on re-reading this question, it sounded a bit harsh. It's meant in the tone of genuine curiosity, not argumentatively). I would've thought the Micromatic would be the Super Speed of the SE world. But I'm basing that opinion on absolutely no knowledge of either side (SE nor DE) and solely on the fact that the Micromatics seem to more readily available.

School me Dave, I crave the knowledge...

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

well, youre right, theyre both WIDELY available, but as far as positive results, the 1912 beats the micromatic usually. someimtes the micromatic can become a face grater for some people.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is true in my opinion. You have to work with a MM to get a good shave. the 1912 is a lot easier to use. More forgiving to me. I compare the MM to driving an old tractor or truck with no power stearing maybe. But I love to work with it.

Fuzzy

20. tom myers

tom myers Member

There are so many varients of the Micromatic that I can't say that I've tried them all. Just in my own collection I think I can find as least five different heads on MM's. That said, from what I have experienced with some of these razors, I would say that the 1912's beat the Micromatics hands down for giving a good and comfortable shave.

The 1912's, being so plentiful and reasonably priced, is what I would usually recommend to someone to give them a good first experience with an SE. Actually, I still really like the 1900/1901 patent dated, lather catcher models even more, but of course, they aren't quite as easy to come by. That is the razor I shave with most mornings.

Regards,
    Tom