New Lather Catcher

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Windwalker, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Picked this up a the PO yesterday, any info appreciated

Attached Files:

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Hmmmm..... Prettttty

3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I want one!!!
    :drool:love008:drool:love008:drool

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Looks to me like a '11 GEM Jr with the two piece handle. Does it also have an attachment for holding the blade while you strop it?

You will find it is a great shaver. Although the handle is a bit longer than most GEMs it is very light. I had a period of adjustment to it's weight. Only took a couple shaves. Really like mine very much.

Enjoy!

By the way, D.Irving79 will not doubt come around and hopefully confirm that it is a '11 GEM Jr.

5. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

oh boy, wchnu is going to explode with enthusiasm.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice!

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

its a 1908. tom already beat me to it on B&B.

8. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Dave, what do you see that sets the 1908 date? I'm not questioning the date, just wondering how you can tell. Is there a change in the design of the head, the text and scrollwork? By the way still have not been able to find any info for the Ever Ready head, still unable to find one with the same engraving on the back. But, man does it shave sweet!! :D

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

experience :happy088

10. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I screwed up and tried to beat my buddy Dave to the description. I do not have his experience. I was basing my guess without going to a pix of my razor.

You got to understand that what I and most other guys who use SE razors say is not as educated as what D.Irving79 has to say. He is the one who has gotten almost everyone of us in the forum who use SE razors to do so.

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Very very nice...I want one...

How did you come by it? Ebay? or a private seller from one of the forums?

12. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Bryce, yes it does have the stropping handle, in the last picture, it is behind the razor to steady it for the picture. And I intend to enjoy it! :D I looked at the pictures of your 1911, thanks for the link. I see the difference in the head of yours and mine, but I am confused by this picture of another 1911. The head of this one matches mine, but is listed as a 1911. Now I am really confused :whacky011 Where is the Guru when we need him? ;)

Attached Files:

13. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Truckman, yes it came from the 'Bay. I was watching it and showed it to the Missus. She paid more than I would have, but she says that I am a cheapskate. I keep telling her "No, I am frugal", to which she replys "B******T, you are cheap!! :D There is another on the 'Bay under an Ebay store for Doxclox if I remember correctly, we paid a little more for the razor, but less for shipping. If you search Gem Razors it should pop up.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is a nice seven day set.. I do not have a set that nice. My 1910 looks a lot like that razor. It is my favorite of all times razor. There is a video on you tube where Dave shows how to put a blade in. That is the exact razor he gave me. Will always be my favorite.

There is a wooden handle one on now that is more then i want to spend. But they do have some nice ones from time to time over there.

If anyone wants a 1912 ever ready gold tone model there is one for $5 and $6.80 shipping BIN.

Fuzzy

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

judging by the handle, its either an elite or traveller gem, 1911 or so.

i just sold bryce my elite.

16. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Here is a better picture of the set. So did they keep the same style of head for several years and the only way to date a razor is by the case? And I thought I was confused before :whacky011 :whacky011

Attached Files:

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is a beautiful set,,, the Bunny is Jealous

Fuzzy

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yeah, most of the time. unless you have a catolouge or two from that era.

im still trying to track down a full production list of gem cutlery products. its coming to fruition soon.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for all the hard work Dave.

Fuzzy

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat