New Lather Catcher

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Windwalker, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tom myers

tom myers Member

That's a beautiful set. That Ivorite handle and the gold blade retention bar distinguishes it and also really sets it off as a "cut above" the usual Gem Jr. Bar Razor.

Dave, we're all looking forward to whatever you come up with as more difinitive data on Gem (or ASR) products.

Regards,
    Tom

2. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I think that if you look at the ribbon on the case top you will see the word Traveller written there. That indicates that it is indeed a '11 Traveller. One of the two models Dave had suggested after seeing only the head of the razor.

I have a '11 Elite GEM Jr and it is very similar. Does not have all the fancy script on the head. But does have the gold bar and also some brassing in the lather catcher. Another thing about it is that it is a great, great shaver.

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i dont think the bar is intentionally gold, i just think its from use.

and i dont blame them ;)

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:drool:drool:drool

+1

+1 again

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Long time no see.. hows things?

Fuzzy

6. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Good eye Bryce, I was so fixiated on the razor head, that I totally missed the Traveller on the ribbon. Just for the record that is not my razor! :( I just wish it was. So forgive my being dense, if I understand correctly, the Elite and the Traveller had different heads, so you could have 2 razors made in the same year, that would appear completely different? Dave, if there is anything I can do to help, just drop me a note, and I got it, you got it. :D

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the head on the elite gem jr. i had was that of a 1910 gem jr.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

what would be a fair price on a boxed set like the ones pictured?

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the last one on ebay went for close to $300.

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

and bryce being such a great BFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF got his for around 1/5 of that.

12. tom myers

tom myers Member

The blade retention bar on the Deluxe Jr.'s is gold plated. Note that even on the side portions where it is hinged, it is gold.

It's in the book! :happy102

Regards,
    Tom

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ah, i see.

looks like its time for the student to become the teacher eh?

14. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Barfight?

:happy102

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got 5 on the wife

Fuzzy

16. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys! :( Just for that I won't share the details of the shave!

Yeah, right! It was definitely one the most comfortable shaves I have ever had. It was not as close as I would have liked, but zero irritation. A few more shaves should bring the closeness to where I would like it. Now what am I going to do with all these DE paperweights?? :happy102

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Mine look good on the shelf here... i do occational run one around the block to remind me why I like the SE. I actually got a great shave from a46-47 aristocrat today.

Fuzzy

18. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Hey Tom,

You got a pix of that Deluxe Jr? I have an '11 Elite GEM Jr and have seen the pix of the Traveler that Windwalker posted but I don't think I ever saw or even heard of a Deluxe Jr.

I know that my Elite GEM Jr has a gold plated bar but it also has some nickel plating missing inside the lather catcher. This is why I think Dave thought the gold bar was from wear.

19. tom myers

tom myers Member

Sorry Bryce, I was talking about the Elite Gem Jr. . . . Wrong superlative. Just got done with a posting about a Gillette New Deluxe.

Regards,
    Tom

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i actually just caught a view of the traveller, and the bar is indeed a nice and shiny gold.