Schick help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

So I now have SAD, Schick Aquisition Disdorder, and I have a question for all those similarly afflicted.

It seems the only information on the web for dating Schicks is, and no offense if the owner is a member here, an out dated website. I looked for the longest time on the site to find a date for the gold/brass head, navy handle Schick that I own. It has the same serial number as the 66 so I know the approximate date it was made, but what puzzles me is the gap in the site owners series. I believe it is a G7. I say this because the owner lists G1-G8 with the 7 excluded and mine is not in the range. Is this a particularly rare razor? Has anyone ever seen it? I will post pics later, but basically it is a 66 handle with a gold or brass head.

Also does anyone have a black handled Schick, an E5 I believe? I just purchases a complete one, box injector and razor and was just wondering.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The Schick 66 has a textured nickel plated head and the navy blue plastic handle, they are somewhat uncommon and one of the better looking Injectors in my opinion. I also have a blue handled smooth (non textured) gold plated Injector, is this the one you are referring to? I have no idea of how common or uncommon these are.

I agree with the web page it is a great quick reference site, but I do wish there was another or multiple Schick resource sites to compare.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Does it have the same serial number as the 66? If so then that is probably it. I only ask about its rarity because like you stated the site is so so, but it appears fairly thorough and I was curious because in all this research that he did he never came across this razor or did later and failed to update the page.

Have you seen any others like this? Are you sure it is gold plated? Mine appears to be brass, is there a way to test it?

My question is where did he get the information? Magazine ads only go so far. Do you think that the parent company will have any information on the older razors or could you access the information through a patent search?

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Mine appears to be gold plated and does have the same serial numbers as the 66. The patent # 1806087 is on some of my type E's as well so this one goes way back.

The newest pack of Injectors I have was made by or under contract for Energizer Holdings and the parent company is Eveready Battery Company. Somehow I doubt they'd have information about the older Injectors but it never hurts to ask.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I missed this part of your question. Yes I have a black Bakelite handled type E-5. I got it in a case that looks like a type D but is orange and it came from Scotland even though it was made in the USA.

[​IMG]

6. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Since there is no discernible method that was used by Schick/EverReady to date injectors, you can't pinpoint manufacture date like you can a Gillette razor. I believe the aforementioned website just uses the letter-number code to try and keep each version somewhat grouped together.

7. tom myers

tom myers Member

The "Type" designations you are working with here are ones assigned by the owner of the website that you are familiar with. Since he seems to have intentionally left a "blank spot" between "G6" and "G8", perhaps he had some specific razor in mind that he intended to call "G7" and never got back to it.

Have you tried to contact the owner, Mr. Alan Appleby? The website does give access to an email address. I don't know if it is current or not, but why not try it, and if it is current, you could ask him the question.

The waits compendium uses Mr. Appleby's chart since, apparently, it is the best information available in one place. Waits also shows some other pictures and gives information beyound what is in Mr. Appleby's chart. It does show a blue handled razor of the "Type G" configuration.

Regards,
    Tom

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Could this be the blue handled one you are talking about? It is one of the 1946+ versions (Type G).

[​IMG]