recommendations on blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jake, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Using DE blades, I started with Merkur and am getting comfortable shaves for 2 days -- using DR Harris soap & a Simpson brush (great deals on Lees Razors during the 12 Days of Xmas special!), and a Merkur HD razor. Are people getting comfortable shaves with the same blades for more than 2 shaves? If so, which blades are you using?

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

I consistently get 6-8 good shaves from Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharps or Sharp Edges in my Futur. (NOTE: that is 7 O'Clock, not 7 A.M.). I have a fairly coarse beard, though not extremely thick. Frankly, I have stopped my blade search. I will still try some blades if people send them--I have some Swedes from a friend and maybe (Azazel?) some Gillette Super Bleues on the way...

But I can't imagine anything better than those two above...

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I wasn't a big fan of the Merkur blades. I am a feather man and I get 3-4 shaves out of a one.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Depending on the blade, I get anywhere from 2 to 4 full 3-pass shaves. The blades JimR recommends are very good for me, along with Astra Superior. Others are good in certain razors, but not others. Since I don't have a Merkur razor, I won't guess at what will work in your Merkur.
    Overall, remember that blades can work very different from razor to razor and face to face. Your best bet is to learn with one blade until you get decent shave consistantly (I'd say a solid week of decent shaves), then try a blade sampler pack and find what works for you.

5. Peders

Peders Member

BTW how are the 7 A.M blades?
    Sorry for disrupting but I think it fits the subject rather good.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I can't get a close shave with one. I said before I think I could use a vice grip for a razor with one of these without getting irritation, and that's nor far from true. Some guys really like them, so they must work with certain razors or beard types, but not my face and razors.

7. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

PM me your info and I will send you a pack of Astra Superior Platinums. They are great blades!! Damn near as sharp as Feathers, but smooth like a 'Swede. I get a week per blade.

8. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

DE Blades:
    Polsilver (no longer made) - 14 shaves
    Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge - 14 shaves

SE Blades:
    Ted Pella PTFE coated - 7 shaves

I figure that I can get the same type of performance with Derby or Treet Classic DuraSharp blades.

A shave for me is 3 passes and an oil/touchup pass and two pass complete head shave. And I change razors each day as well. One tip for making blades go a bit further is to hand strop them after each shave. Watch D.Irving79's very detailed Instructions on hand stropping HERE. It is the one titled: How to strop single edge/double edge/cartridge blades

Thanks to Dave for his very helpful youtube videos.

9. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

The 7AM has given me up to about 3 acceptable shaves. They're worth more than what they ask, but not a lot more...

10. Seamaster

Seamaster New Member

My current top three recommendations:

1. Gillette Platinum (aka "Swedes")
    2. Feather
    3. Pretty much any Treet blades

11. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I have a box of Swedes that are just sitting around since I got a hold of some Astra Superior Platinums. They are smooth as the Swedes and almost as sharp as a Feather. You should check them out.

12. Hi there,

Looks like you have an excellent set up regarding soap, brush, and razor. Blades are always gonna be an individual kinda thing, and I happened to start with Merkur. I ended up being glad this was the first tried in my razor, as it taught me an important lesson about having a reference point. I found (and so will you) that each blade acted a little differently, and the Merkur blade was a good one to compare others to later on. Personally, they weren't for me, but some people like em.

Anyway, members will get anywhere from 1-6 shaves per blade. Yeah, some shavers toss em after each use........no big deal unless the blade costs $1...heh. Usually though I'd think somewhere between 4-6 shaves is about the average. Two shaves per blade isn't uncommon. Keep in mind you may get more with others you'll be trying.

I'd recommend staying with the Merkur blades for 10-12 shaves or so. By that time you should have started to develop a feel for what a comfortable shave feels like. I say should, because this blade may or may not be capable of providing a pull free shave. You won't know that until you try other blades, but you first need to get a feel for comparing the next ones. The main thing at this point is learning what technique is about, and repeated shaving will cause certain intuitive 'tweaks' that you'll find helpful.

Heh, sounds screwy, but it gets a lot easier after a while. It gets to the point when an experienced shaver knows instantly, with the first stroke, if a new type blade will be wrong or not. In the beginning though.........it's paying your dues. I'll just say I'd be surprised if you didn't notice a difference in the next blade you decide to sample. There's a bunch out there, and it's mostly a question of finding the right ones. I'd read the blade reviews, and pick out the type to follow the Merkur.

I can tell you what 3 blades I've decided on for my regular rotation, but it wouldn't mean you'd like any of em. I'll tell you the Crystal (IP) and Derby are very popular here and other forums. I'll also mention a few of the Gillette 7 0'clock types have gotten very good reviews in the last few months. There's plenty of other members who have their own favorites, but you can sorta get a feel for what's being used the most. Maybe check the 'Shave of the Day' section to see what blades are in play.

As I said earlier, the rest of your equipment is plenty good enough to last you many years. Oh.......maybe another small puck of shaving soap or two.........heh. I'm chuckling nervously cause I just received 3 soaps today. These should last me about a year and ran just under $40, which isn't so bad. The thing is, I already have enough soaps and creams to go about 4 years without running out. This sound goofy to you? Just wait a while...........

Good luck on your shaving journey,
    Martin

13. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I have to agree with Rolls. I love the Astra Superior Platinums. Sharp and smooth, as opposed to sharp and will cut your head off (what I think of the Feathers). I get great shaves with them in my various Gillettes - Fatboy, 40's SS, black-handle superspeed, Super Adjustable. Great blade. I get 3-4 shaves per blade.

14. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I thought the Astra Platinums were fairly rough compared to Swedes and Sharpedge blades. The Astras also had a much worse machine oil smell, IMO.

They were certainly as sharp as the others, though.

Regards.

J

15. My quick 2 cents.

I heard that if you are using a Merkur. Dorco Blades go well with this razor. There is a variety of blades. Best would be for your to try out and then have your best blade to go to. :).

Happy New Year!

Dark

16. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Hmm, honestly, I haven't had that problem. The only issue I have is the glue on one side, causing them to stick in my razor. Not sure why they glue it to the paper. I haven't noticed a smell, at least nothing obvious.

I tried the Sharps and found them to be too sharp. I loved the Swedes, but not for what you have to pay to get them. Astras, for me, give a nice, smooth, shave. They are a great balance of sharpness, smoothness, and low price. Not the cheapest, but you can get large quantities for a really cheap price. My go to blade.

After them, I like the Crystals, but they aren't as sharp.

17. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

My best blades at present:

Derby- 3-4 shaves
    Super Max Super Stainless- 3-4
    Wilkinson Sword- 4-5

This may change as I'm waiting for a nice blade selection from the TSD Store!

18. kicker245

kicker245 New Member

Derbys 3-4
    Nacets 5-6
    Swedes 4
    Feathers 5

I like the Nacets the best but I can't find anyone who sells them :mad:

19. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Derby-straight to garbage
    Crystals-straight to garbage
    Rest of the popular blades - straight to garbage
    Gillette 7 o' clock yellow pack: 3 shaves
    Gillette Swedes-5+ suprisingly. The only blade I can do this with

The rest of the blades I use I only use 3 times. Maybe 4.

20. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think Nacets are out of production?