recommendations on blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jake, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

stropping DE blades

Is there any sense or value in stropping DE blades? I see some comments & youtube videos, but it does appear unlikely to provide any value. And what about turning blades over in the razor? Any suggestions about that?

Thanks.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Strop if you want. Some people say it works. For about 5 cents a blade and volume discounts, why bother? And no, turning it over doesnt help.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I haven't used those blades, or even had one in my possession, but I doubt they glue it to the paper. More likely they are sealing the wrapper. Just using too much glue.

4. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Actually the glue is on the blade. 4 dots of it, on the side that does not have the paper folded over. The paper is actually just loosely folded on, and opens easily, but there is some weak glue that adheres the blade to the paper, even when you have completely unfolded the paper. I'd snap a pic if I could, but am at work right now. It is kind of bizarre. Not sure why they do it that way. It causes the blade to stick in my razor, so when I take an old one out, I have to point it away as I open the silo doors, in case it pops out and flies at me!

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

my goodness...you're getting comfortable shaves from Merkur blades?
    you may not want to try anything else, well, nothing sharper than a cotton ball, I can't even use Merkurs to cut butter....
    anyway, many great suggestions so far, and I'll throw in to Red Pack Personna love too.
    Different razors respond differently to different blades, so finding the right combo is key. I've had great results with my 38C (the HD's big brother) using Red Pack Personnas, Astras, and Swedes. I've not tried a Feather in it yet, but they are absolutely awesome in my Krona. Derbys, Crystals, and Dorco 301's work well in my "lighter" razors (Tech, Superspeeds, Krona) but not my heavier ones (38C, Super Adjustable, Fatboy)
    the answer would be a blades sampler with a wide variety of blades to try, in fact I see others have already offered to send you some samples, don't miss the opportunity!
    I'm still amazed to see the words "Merkur blade" and "comfortable shave" in the same sentence though...YMDV'd! :D

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Wow! That is weird!

7. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

See this post of mine from this morning.........

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=159392#post159392

8. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I was a Feather man until I tried out the Astra blades Rolls is talking about.

I get about 3-4 shaves out of Feathers and Astras, both of which I like a lot. I think I may like the Astras even more, but I can't say for certain yet.

The Merkur blades are awful, at least for me.

9. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

RED IP.

that is all

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I've noticed the glue on the 7 O'Clocks, and wondered why they do that especially since it's double wrapped. But I've never had a problem with the blade sticking in my razor.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I've had the 4 dots stick to my razor and its a tad annoying. I put glue up on TTOs so it doesnt stick and I put glue down on the 3pc so I can pull it off the base.

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Feathers in mild razors
    Derbys in agressive ones.

Just got some Yellow 7 'O Clocks and they look promising but not really sure which razors they work best in yet.

13. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

+1