Do the badgers die?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gatto, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I love that movie!!

2. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

That's all I have to contribute on this thread.

3. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

you would love that movie

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

"Surely you aren't serious"

"I am serious and don't call me Shirley"

Great movie.

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

you poor, poor, thing...
    it's only the single funniest movie ever made
    I've never counted, but I bet you can't find a single 3 second clip anywhere that there's not a verbal/audible joke, a humorous scene or era-relevant gag stuffed in it somewhere
    It's like they screened it eleventy-seven times to make sure every nook and cranny was filled with a gag
    brilliant stuff
    since it's a bit before my time, there's still new things I laugh about when I watch it, like "oh, I get that now!" or "how'd I miss that?!"

6. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I will admit it did make me laugh a few times but most of it was just not that funny. I did love the credits though

7. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

one of the best gags in the movie, that few people actually notice, is that as the massive modern-day (for the time) jetliner cruised the sky, they used the sound of an old prop plane...funniest thing when I finally noticed it!

8. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I did like that

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yum. Boar BLT. :happy088

10. bravefish

bravefish Member

That's a Honey Badger. That's not the one used for brushes.

This one below (pic posted by gatto) is the European badger (it's range is from Ireland to Japan) is the one the one used for brushes, and it is "cute".

[​IMG]

11. Leon

Leon Active Member

Not all badger hair suppliers get the hair the same way.

I'm friends with one badger hair brushmaker, Portugal's very own Semogue, and in one of our chats I asked him the source of the badger hair he uses. It's European and they treat the badgers like sheep, they are not killed or harmed, they're sheered and kept alive and well, so there's nothing to feel bad about, at least for the Semogue brushes I own, I don't know if I can tell the same about my Rooney.

12. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

badger copy.jpg

Now it's cute.

13. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

That's cool. I always thought that was how it was done but I wasn't sure. I guess it depends, I think I'll look into places that get their hair like that next time because I'm not sure what they do at golden nib, maybe I'll toss an email their way.

14. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Tony gets his knots from China. Honestly though, the badgers are more than likely killed quickly and humanely.

15. bravefish

bravefish Member

Leon, do you know which European country are this badger hair coming from? I was under the impression that in the EU had banned the use of local badger hair.

BTW, you have a very nice site. I'll be placing an order for that Lavanda cream soon. And now that I know about those brushes, as soon as I get the funds....

16. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Until video evidence of "shearing" badgers is presented, I reserve the right to cast a pretty big :rolleyes: at the thought of one of the most feared and tenacious animals in the world are lovingly coddled and trimmed of their hair.

They're part of the food chain, same as chickens and cows over here. I would bet my last $1 that they are slaughtered in a very similar fashion to the meat processing facilities here.

Now having said that, I do believe that your friend, and the people who work at Semogue, 100% believe the story they're being told. And if it were true, it would be a wonderful thing (from a humanitarian perspective). However, if such a thing existed, surely that would be something to obtain video evidence of, in fact even advertised and promoted (We do NOT kill our badgers! etc.) However, in this day and age not a single piece of video evidence exists to support this "badger shearing" farm.

Not trying to call you a liar, merely saying that to me, it defies all logic and common sense. They're bred for meat, and the hair is a by-product.

17. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I Googled it right away, and found 0 bald badgers... now beaver on the other hand.

[​IMG]

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

my oh my. that was a lot to read.

every living creature deserves rights of some sort.

i am by no means a hippy or AR activist.

they will probably outlive humans and have the last laugh anyway.

you can get domesticated badgers from the oregon area.

im not big on meat. i never was. i dont fish, hunt, etc. i walk around ants on the sidewalk. and thanks to a new "condition" ive acquired, 98% of the time, the smell or though of meat nauseates me beyond belief. its a win/win in my book.

there is of course that %2 where i gobble down 400 ounce steaks so rare they could beat you in a race to greenland.

i guess my point is: do your best. whatever you believe, dont compromise it.

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

THIS IS GOLD.

:)

20. bravefish

bravefish Member

:happy102 that's funny, where are you getting that from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.