Disposable DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by s&g'sdad, Jan 8, 2009.

1. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Recently, I had to go to the ER and they decided to put me on a Holter monitor for 48 hours. Before they attatched the electrodes, the tech. used a disposable DE to shave my chest hair. This was immediately noticed by me, as we all have a disorder for this type of thing around here.:ashamed001
    I was just wondering if anybody knew where to get these or even that they existed in the first place. They were light blue in color and, if memory serves, a floralpattern on the handle.

Aaron

2. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I've heard they're abominable to shave with, but no personal experience.

Cheers.

J

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

I saw these on THAT OTHER FORUM. they sell them by the case...God knows how they are to use...

Hope you're doing ok!

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

oh, my God--poor you. :(

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i have much experience with these.

your lather has to be ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA slick. or you will be in the worst pain of your life.

i take my own kit now when i go in for those merry hospital stays :)

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I have had experience with one of those cool looking disposable DE razors. Got one from my cardiologist and did a couple passes with it. Not good. Did not draw any blood the pass was abominable. You really don't want to use one.

These things are meant to get the worst of the hair off a body part in order to increase the contact area for electronic equip or to surgical areas to keep down the possibilities of infection. They are not meant to provide a decent shave on one's face of head.

7. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Hey Aaron. Can't help with the razor question, but I certainly hope you're okay.

8. Larry T

Larry T Member

I bought a bag of these on ebay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shaved with the one pictured, it was truly horrible. It would have been easier and more comfortable to pull my beard out hair by hair with tweeers.

The blades are easily removable, I wonder if putting a good blade in the razor would improve them?

[​IMG]

Anyone ever heard of a Topaz blade?

I'm going to put a Polsilver in one and shave with it in the morning, see if it shaves any better.

Larry

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

are those older ones? the new ones are basically shave n' toss.

10. Larry T

Larry T Member

I don't think that these are really made to be reused, the design just makes it possible.

Larry

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

oh ok. interesting indeed.

12. bonescrub

bonescrub New Member

I used these when i was in the Navy and needed to shave cause i forgot or was running late etc....
    The clinic i worked in had them for shaving chests etc.. for for various medical stuff. They destroy your face.
    reminds me of the time I had a blind date and forgot to shave and I shaved with a battery operated lint shaver. ouch
    I was like 18 years old and horny.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i dont care what the topic is from now on. we have a winner.

14. JimR

JimR Active Member

I don't think "winner" is the word I would have chosen...

Quite the opposite, really. ;)

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

So, I guess it's finally out in the open, men will do anything for sex! :happy102:rolleyes:

16. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like it's not worth it to try to buy these for travel. I'll keep taking my Sensor. Thanks also for the well wishers, I'm fine. Just a little holiday stress.:D

Aaron

17. Larry T

Larry T Member

Well, I shaved with one of these this morning. I pulled the Topaz blade, loaded a new Polisilver, whipped up some AOS unscented shave cream, and went to work.

I actually got a good shave, without any blood. With a good blade, they shave like an aggressive open comb, similar to my Muhle-Pinsel 89. I think I'll just keep my Aristocrat. :rolleyes:

Larry