TSD coffee club

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by moviemaniac, Jan 9, 2009.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I noticed there are quite a few coffee geeks around so let's open an official TSD coffee club, shall we?
    Tell us about your equipment, the coffees you drink and everything else related to coffee.

I'll start:
    img_0601.jpg
    My current setup consists of a Rancilio Silvia and a Zassenhaus 156 coffee grinder. My coffee comes from two small Austrian roasters. I have the Rancilio double-serve-portafilter and a naked portafilter. The former I use together with the original Rancilio double-basket, the bottomless houses a La Marzocco single-serve basket.

here's a shot of a "Papua New Guinea Red mountain" single origin coffee using the naked protafilter with the La Marzocco basket:
    img_0608.jpg

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

mmmm coffee.... I am pretty basic, I like any coffee as long as it is DARK. My wife bought a coffee maker with a delay timer, so I just prep it at night and wake up to a carafe of coffee. If I don't have caffeine I get the worst headaches. Pretty sure that is a sign of an addict. ;)

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Nice set up K !! :happy096..............you really need to roast your own beans

I LOVE COFFEE. Period.
    I love it in my French Press(es), my Aeropress, my MokaPot, my Vacupot.............cowboy coffee, Navy Coffee......coffee from the big industrial Bunn at work.
    ESPRESSOOOOoooooo

Been roasting my own beans for awhile now and love everything about having fresh coffee available at all times.....maybe someday Ill get my La Pavoni

[​IMG]

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That thing is beautiful.

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Equipment:
    Standard Mr. Coffee drip machine - only used for making mass quantities, for guests, etc.
    Senseo - my wife enjoys the simplicity of it
    2 Bodum presses - an 8 cup/32oz and a 2 cup/12oz.
    whirlyblade grinder (until it dies, then a burr)
    my needs and tastes are simple, but I do love a good cuppa java

brand I reach for most is Community Special Reserve, though due to $$$ I'm tending to save for special occasions (like days that end with a "Y"), and have started buying 8 O'clock brand for more mundane occasions - it's really not bad

6. Will

Will Nevermind

K-dawg, that shot looks delish. Love the crema :happy088

Can you send me some?

7. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I get Dunkin Donuts coffee at Food Lion. It is pretty good coffee. My coffee pot is a 12 cup Mr. Coffee coffee maker. I use 12 scoops of coffee for 12 cups (or about twice the recommended amount!! I usually make one pot for the week, and just reheat it every morning. By Thursday, it is a bit strong, but I like it. For the weekend, I have another coffee pot which I make a specialty blend that is roasted and ground every week by a friend in town. This stuff is supposedly from a mountain in Jamaica, and is REALLY GOOD!!

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

um, gross. ;)

I am curious about french presses, I have wanted one for a long time, but the thing that kept me from them is I was afraid they would be a pain to clean. Is that true? If not, anyone have a recommendation on a nice inexpensive one? My wife is looking for a birthday present for me. :D

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Spoken like a Navy man. :happy102

10. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Marines actually.......................

11. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

nope, not a particular pain to clean at all
    personally, through out the week I just rinse it out, and will wash it on the weekend - usually hand wash, but occasionally dishwasher
    Bodum is my preference, and aren't too bad. My 32 oz one I got at Ross' for $20, included an electric milk frother and two cups

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, I have two french presses for making "filter" coffee when guests come and don't want to drink espresso and I find them really easy to clean. Just rinse the filter-doohickey under warm water and wash the casing in the dishwasher or the sink.

@Rick: I may look into the whole home-roasting thing in the future but for now I'm happy. Oh, and if I were you, I'd order the La Pavoni right now :D

@Will: I fear by the time it'll arrive at your home the coffee will be cold and the crema gone. I don't think you want to reheat espresso ;) But you're welcome to try a few cups should you ever visit my neck of the woods :happy088

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Troublemaker. :taunt002

...............and to roast, all you really need is a stove, a baking pan and a cuppa colanders for cooling purposes.
    Thats how Ive been doing it lately and the coffee is a lot more consistent than my old method of pot roasting.

With regards to cleaning the French Presses, I NEVER use soap in mine.
    Usually just a really hot water rinse and when I can remember to, Ill throw some bleach in there too.
    Very easy to clean. Very few moving parts.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks guys, that helps. I was afraid that the filter would get full of beans and it would be hard to clean them all out. Time to start looking :D

15. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

I've been roasting with my Behmor for around a year. It works well, and I can get coffee through the Green Coffee Coop for around $4-5/pound when I buy 15 pounds at a time. Otherwise, it's pretty basic - a Bunn coffeemaker (I get spoiled with it, since the coffee starts coming out in 6 seconds!) and a Nissan thermo cup to keep it warm!

16. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I will not participate in this club. Coffee is yucky. Now, tea is another thing.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:signs089

18. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

this coffee club is ::ban

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Well, as you can see, I have sold out completely to the Starbucks machine, and why not? Love 'em or hate 'em, they roast really great tasting coffees that are reasonably priced (especially when purchased at Costco) and their brewing equipment is top-notch.

[​IMG]

My current favorite is this wonderful Winter Blend -- bold, yet smooth with interesting and complex notes -- and only $20 for a 2.5 lb bag at Costco.

[​IMG]

Of course, all my coffee drinks taste much better when drunk from this mug! ;)

[​IMG]

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Rick, what you need is a coffee mug with a blue monkey :D

Nice setup :happy088