Persona Blade is the Best?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by nlpavalko, Jan 24, 2009.

1. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Here's a quick review of a new set of blades, as well as a few questions:

Bought a set of Persona blades and I've had nothing but BBS shaves ever since!

I was previously shaving with Merkuhr blades which were ok, but not as great as what I've been having.

My questions would be, are Persona blades superior to Merkuhr? Or has my face adjusted to wet shaving? Or is my technique getting better?

2. Peders

Peders Member

In my opinion, yes!
    Blades are on the other hand as well as a lot of other things very personal and what fits one doesn't fits another.
    I haven't heard a single positive word about the merkur blades though. I think it's kind of stange because the germans are making some excellent DE razor and also delicious Straights.
    I experienced that it took like a week or two for my face to adapt for this new way of shaving but i can really, now when i have tried a few blades, feel a huge difference between various brands of blades.
    The technique improves from time to time!

3. joseywales

joseywales Member

You'll soon find out, as I did, that you must be very specific about the tools your are discussing. Near as I can figure, there are at least two types of Personna blades.

I started with the Walmart Personnas and did very well for a few weeks, even right from the start. Never a nik or scratch and very acceptable shaves. I was using an adjustable at 6 and 5 More aggressive. I have the Red Personnas, but have not yet tried them.

I am currently using Derby Extras that came along with a razor purchase I made. I use those set on 4, less aggressive. A new Derby blade, for me, should probably be on 3, then switch to 4 for subsequent shaves. I might even try corking.

Regarding technique. My Walmart Personnas are more forgiving than the Derby that's for certain.

One last comment on the Personna brand, I have a straight razor, for trimming my goatee, and it uses disposable blade. So far, the Personna blades are the sharpest and last the longest.

I have not read a good thing about the Merkur blades either. It just doesn't make sense. If you make a good razor, why not supply at least good blades to go with it, or supply no blades at all. Selling inferior blades with the Merkur name, only hurts the brand name.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yes, in my and many others opinions, the Merkurs are not highly rated, although inexplicably some people claim to get good shaves from them. I've tried probably 15-20 different brands of blades including some over 40 years old and so far the Merkurs are by far the worst I've used.

While there is nothing wrong with the Personna's I suggest you get a blade sampler to find the best blade for your razor, skin type and specific technique. Giovanni at razor and brush has a few nice reasonably priced blade sample packages and an incredible selection of soaps and creams if you need to stock up.

5. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Joesy: Currently I am using the Wal-Mart type-Personas. I'm interested in trying different blades, but all in good time.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Israeli-made Personnas are the best. :)

7. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Remove the question mark from you title and voila, there is the answer.

8. Hard, Hard!

I think the best is hard to say! But Personna does have some great blades. I agree with crack star! Israeli Personnas are better! Either Crystal or Red are good!. But if you want sharper, you should try out the bulk packing personnas. NOW those are sharp!

Best Blade Per say depends on the user i guess! You might think they are best, but for someone else it might be the worst. Hard Topic and Hard Answers!!!!

My 2 cents ;)!

Dark

9. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

Feathers imho, but shave twice as lightly as you do with merkurs, I've never tried Personnas or really anything but Merkurs and Feathers, I guess their two big extremes. Love'm or hate'm kinda blades.

I just bought my first straight and I wont be using blades any long after I get it right, but that might be a few months or year.

cheers
    D

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I personally think that personas are better. But I dont like personas. I Just wouldnt really rate anything to be better than merkur. Some people get good shaves with them but most don't.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

12. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

I think so, that's what I'm currently using at any rate.

13. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Those are the Wally World Personnas. There are many makers laying claim to the Personna name.

They are definitely *not* the Israeli Personnas spoken so highly of 'round here.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Thanks, good to know.

The Wally World ones are the best blades I have ever used though....

Of course to be fair I have to say that last night was only my second DE shave ever. It went well though. Much closer than the first time.

15. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I have the Wal Mart ones and the Israeli ones and for ease and availability I just prefer the Wal Mart ones... the difference (to me) wasn't great enough to justify mail order.

16. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Red Pack Personnas, aka Red IP's, are different from Israeli Personnas, and they are both different from the offerings at Walmart and the like. They are both available on eBay for 10-15 dollars per 100 blades. Both are better than the Walmart Personnas and better than the Merkur blades.

17. bubalu

bubalu New Member

Is there concrete proof that the American Personnas or ASR house branded chromium or platinum or platinum chromium are different the the ASR blades made in Israel? A few years ago I received a sample pack that contained the IPs and it seemed that there was no difference between the American and the Israeli blades. So does anyone have any specs on these blades or inside information?

18. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

Personally, in a comparison of the two (merkur and personna) and I prefer the shaves from the Merkur, which I actually like. However, cost wise, of course the Personnas are much cheaper and more easily attained, especially since these are the house brand in a lot of grocery stores. If I were only choosing between the two, I'd opt for Personna. However, there's a wide world of razor blades available even in today's diminished market. So there's no reason to limit yourself in your quest for a favorite blade.

19. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Member

I like the Wal-Mart Personnas just fine. I just had a great shave with one today.

20. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

The weird thing is that both D&D's review section and Mark's vids quote Merkurs as the standard yardstick when it comes to blades. I think they have an average score of 6,6 on B&B...